don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm pretty sure the comic just shows Eggman finding the Phantom Ruby half-buried in sand next to his base. The implication might be that it was there before but it just became unearthed by the wind.

IIRC, someone in this thread mentioned Ian saying that the reason the ruby in the comic looked like the prototype from Mania was that the artist wasn't shown that concept art. It we go by that, it wasn't supposed to be the one from Mania. Canon-wise, it probably should have looked like the original uncut ore on the left instead.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yeah, it's just kind of there on the ground, nothing about a impact implying it fell from the sky or anything.

Honestly, the more you look into it, the more it falls apart. Like Two Worlds, which is thankfully dead and gone. Forever.

3. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
  4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Once again, my concerns for two timelines is justified. Is there a Phantom Ruby on modern Angel Island, and if not, why not?

Ian can't answer, which is fine since he's not the script writer, but now we've got confusion because of an event happening on one timeline and not on the other, for no real conceivable reason.

5. Pengi

Pengi

The explanation is in Sonic Mania's manual:

Mania's Phantom Ruby ended up on Classic Angel Island due to a dimensional breach.

If the Phantom Ruby concept art is to be believed, then Mania's Phantom Ruby is one of Modern Eggman's Phantom Ruby prototypes.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    And why has it only happened on the one? Was the Phantom Ruby heading for the main timeline until it hit the split timeline?

7. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Yeah again I wish they said the Phantom Ruby was a piece of the Time Eater. That would explain why it never appeared until after Generations and why Silver's timeline changed after Generations.

8. Pengi

Pengi

If it's one of Modern Eggman's Phantom Ruby prototypes, then it travelled from Modern Sonic's Dimension to Classic Sonic's Dimension.

If we were to ignore the concept art and imagine Mania's Phantom Ruby to be the original, then it travelled from its origin dimension (Dimension A) to Classic Sonic's dimension (Dimension B) and then Modern Sonic's dimension (Dimension C) at the end of Mania.

But the concept art does say that Mania's Phantom Ruby is one of the prototypes.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I think it looks different, I'll have to double back to the concept art and check, but that now begs the question of how: I don't recall any prototype being sent back in time and to another timeline at any point in Sonic Forces. Infinite destroys them all, bar one prototype that shatters, and his own which does not look like the Sonic Mania Ruby.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The proto ruby design is the same as in Mania.

We don't know how it got to the Classic dimension, as it happened offscreen before the time skip in Forces (and possibly before the story even began). It might have reacted to the Chaos Emeralds, just like it did at the end of Mania. I speculated that Eggman tested its reaction to the emeralds at some point.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    If we can't assume birds catch Sonic and Vanilla in Sonic Advance 2, we can't assume Robotnik got the Chaos Emeralds and warped a Phantom Ruby Prototype. Evidence is requested for this.

12. Pengi

Pengi

The concept art literally says that design labelled "prototype" was "used in Mania" and the raw ore was "not used in Mania".

The key words Blue Spikeball used are "might" and "speculated". You were saying your bird theory was a "fact".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Hence "I'll have to double back and check" since I recall some notes on there, I just couldn't recall what they were.

Alright, let me reword it:

Fun fact, the the birds appear to be hovering around Sonic and Vanilla, then disappear in the next frame, only to reappear once more hovering around the cast, implying that they help lower Sonic and Vanilla down instead of them hitting the ground at terminal velocity.

That better?

14. Pengi

Pengi

Something has to be intentionally suggested to be implied. You inferred something that wasn't implied.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Fun fact: Flickies are implied to be sadistic as they offer no help to Sonic and Vanilla, instead preferring to watch them reach terminal velocity without helping in anyway.

Better?

16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    That would be weird. The Phantom Ruby may have dimensional properties, but it is a gem about virtual realities. The Time Eater is a god (???) of time, one has nothing to do with the other.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I think something could be explained if they said that all other gems (like the Time Stones and the Phantom Ruby) were created by ancient people trying to replicate the power of the Chaos Emeralds. So the Chaos Emeralds would possess a number of different abilities (including virtual reality), and each other gem tries to replicate each of those traits, each in its own way.

I don't think this would be too absurd, since Tails in SA2 could create a copy of a Chaos Emerald with the same properties.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  18. _Sidle

_Sidle

If Eggman made all of the ProtoPRs (including the ManiaPR), but had to send Infinite to various locations to destroy them all*, something happened for Eggman to not have all of them in his possession. If the ManiaPR's behavior** is typical for ProtoPRs, then that checks out; they can effectively just "wander" to places on their own. Though, that doesn't immediately explain how the ManiaPR can trivially move across space-time from Modern Eggman's trials to ClassicAIZ, since it definitely needed to be powered to make the portal from Egg Reverie to Chaos vs Tails (done in close proximity to Chaos Emeralds, all known and very good power sources)...

In Forces iirc, Eggman was powering Infinite's TrianglePR and the OriginalPR via generators/reactors. It would make sense if during testing, he was deliberately powering his batches of ProtoPRs, in hopes of seeing which homebrewed rocks do the best and refining those. Perhaps that's enough power for the ManiaPR to arbitrarily cross over... ?

i'm definitely extrapolating story where basically none is defined now, huh =,=

* There are these PRs in the Final Judgement reactor that look like giant, slightly malformed ProtoPRs.
    ** (i.e. EncoreAIZ drifting off from the portal directly to Heavy Magician's capsule, EncoreTMZ rising to make a portal and chasing after everyone)

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Alternatively, he just sent Infinite to the base where the Ruby was developed and had him destroy them all (bar the one Silver knocked off),while Robotnik himself had moved to the Eggman Empire Fortress after defeating Sonic. I don't think it's really said they've moved about, just Infinite was sent somewhere to dispose of them.

20. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Feels like all the Mania/Forces/Phantom Ruby shenanigans would make a lot more sense if the world of Sonic Forces was a pocket universe created by the Phantom Ruby at the end of Sonic Mania.