don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Another thing is how part of the design philosophy behind the Adventure redesigns in general was they wanted to give the characters(s) a sense of having grown. I personally always just saw it as Sonic maturing from the Classics and it seems that was the intention. Its very obvious with things like Amy and Eggman too as Eggman goes from a very simple navy looking outfit to his higher ranking military jacket, and Amy goes from a small town girl to a girl from uptown.
    Sonic regained his cool.png

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ah I wish we could get the original interview, so we can check the translation on these things...

Still, interesting that it was intended to be an aged up design.

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

Honestly when I first saw the designs in 99 I did think that they were supposed to have grown.

It helps that the story of Sonic Adventure starts with Sonic coming back after been gone for a while and treats it like a timeskip.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Manual confirms Sonic was on a long trip:
    [​IMG]
    Though it occurs to me that it's saying he came back to the town: is Station Square one of the cities we see in the games background? Perhaps outside the Chemical Plant in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive)?

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It's just a weird/bad translation.
    There's a ton of people better at Japanese than me here so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm concerned it says something along the lines of "He's been gone on a long trip for a little while now, but it seems the city he came back to invited him to an adventure once again..."
    So Station Square is pretty much a random city he came back to when he decided to end his journey.

(Sonic game about his trip before Adventure when Sega :V)

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well except it's where Amy lives and it's adjacent to where Tails's workshop is. I assume when it says "come back" it means in the sense that he'd been away from his friends for a while.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That's called Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I and II.

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    What was the source of this? I've seen this before so I know it's real, of course, but I tried to find it again and it seems it's not well-documented online.

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    - Will there be an explanation for Silver’s time traveling antics whenever they need to be used again in the future?

- Yes. That's all I can say. (...)

- The thing about time travel that bothers me so much is (...) if Silver currently resides in the furthest point of the future, where all is well, then logically there's nothing that can happen in the present that hasn't already been accounted for at the current point in time where he is. So how uniquely and challenging is it then just to get him involved into a story in the present?

- That's because it's a very messy time travel thing. I am not fond of how time travel is handled in Sonic, but... how and why Silver returns to deal with issues in the past is something that will be addressed in the future. It's not what I expected, and I don't think it's something anybody expected, to be honest, but there is an answer and it will be interesting to see how it is explored in the years to come. (...) Be patient with this little plot point as it comes trickling out, we're all figuring this out together.

30:47

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I wonder if Silver is some kind of time police, like the TVA in Loki.

11. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Unfortunately I can't remember... Sorry.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    They really should have just had it that Silver's future is outright destroyed, and he stays in the past to prevent any more threats after he stops what caused that, since his future world is gone, later replaced with a different future he does not know.

13. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Weird there's clarification on it needed if we're gonna have to wait years for it to come to light. That makes me think it's a comics thing, but idk.

14. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

That...completely destroys the concept of the character. Silver's whole shtick is he comes form the future. All you do by doing that is just making him just another to the already huge list of cheerleaders in the cast.
    Silver being from the future gives him a niche and expands the mythos. I'm REALLY not a fan of all the "fixes" that basically amount to stripping characters of everything that makes them interesting because we value having their entire life revolving around being in all of Sonic's adventures with no fuss more than them actually being compelling in their own right.
    Frankly, I think it's fine that Silver isn't in every game and that accessing him is a bit more difficult. Because it means we don't have to wonder why the heck he isn't involved every time, let alone the fact we don't need Silver in every game.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The main problem is that time travel is a concept that must be very well defined to work properly, and in Sonic games it is not.

In Sonic Rivals it's like Back to the Future; you change the past, you have a new future. In Sonic 06 it's like Dark; the future and the past coexist and you can't actually change anything because the past already had you time traveling even if you didn't know that yet. In Sonic CD you have whatever Little Planet wants you to; sometimes it looks like Back to the Future, sometimes it takes you to the future for no apparent reason, sometimes it shows a bad future when it was not supposed to.

The memories after a time travel change is also something badly defined in the series. Sometimes a character remembers the erased events, sometimes they don't, sometimes they don't and then they do.

We sort of try to headcon all of this, but it doesn't help the fact that Rivals is non canon (for now at least).

16. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    What continuity questions would you all like to see a future game or TailsTube episode try to answer about Sonic lore?

17. Linkabel

Linkabel

Somethings I would like to know more about

-the lore behind the Gizoid and the Fourth Great Civilization
    -why only hedgehogs can go (canonically)Super
    -the echidnas story between Perfect Chaos destroying the world to more modern times
    -believe it or not, what's up with the Zeti and their planet, feel like there's possibilities there to integrate them more into previous lore

18. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Go deeper into the super emeralds and why they only appeared in sonic 3&K then simply disappeared.
    Also, i'd enjoy if they went into how silver the hedgehog is in the present so often

19. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Something to consider regarding Silver, it could be that his good future only remains intact so long as he keeps helping out Sonic and Friends when he needs to. If he doesn't travel back to the past when needed, the future changes around him. The only reason it changes is that it's the reason Silver goes back in time in the first place. In this case, that would mean that there's no such thing as a "predestination paradox" in the franchise (by that meaning that he's always fated to travel to the past thus the future is always a good one) and Silver is immune to changes in the timeline following 06 (somehow). It would go a long way to explain why he's always in the present.

20. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

I was under the impression that thus far, only time anomalies resulted in Silver's future getting messed with. Take Forces for example. In that game, the Phantom Ruby came from another timeline. That makes sense then it would affect Silver's future.