don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Also execs aren't consumers, so they don't care either. They're sold a product they're told will product their product, and when they see negative feedback about it from a minority portion of their consumers they'll probably reason it away as "yeah of course pirates are mad at us for protecting our product". Pretty scummy but what you'll do about it. Hope they remove it after a couple years

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Maybe someone should tell them that Denuvo is easily cracked anyway.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It's been said it's used just to protect sales of like...the first two weeks or something. Don't remember where I saw that though.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    It was in one of their own press releases, according to my research. I was trying to find out specifically how long it took people to crack Mania because I'm sure there's a website that chronicles this stuff, but I've been unable to find it up to now. I did, however, find headlines of Resident Evil VII being cracked within a week of release and Hitman 2 being cracked days *before* its release, so apparently publishers just aren't paying attention to the fact that Denuvo isn't even reliable security - if people want to crack a game, they will do it regardless, and in short order, too. That being said, I think piracy within the industry is a problem exaggerated by the paranoia of stone faced men in grey suits. Not that I condone pirating games outside of specific circumstances (i.e. when a game just isn't available to purchase within a given territory), but if people are bothering to pirate games, they almost certainly weren't going to pay in the first place for whatever reason. Stores like Steam and Epic offer user facing features in their libraries that make the service appealing to use on its own, thus encouraging sales. But, ironically, it's those people who are punished by the implementation of DRM, not the pirates. Hell, companies could probably stand to make *more* money by offering DRM-free standalone executables of their releases that you can directly download upon purchase for the sake of grumpy sods more principled folk that we've seen in this thread who do not feel that digital games, as they exist now, constitute sufficient ownership to them. Whether you disagree with that idea or not, you can't deny that such people exist and that companies could be collecting sales from them if they were to address those issues. Furthermore, this method of delivery would curb the monopolisation of the PC gaming market and decentralise it away from a handful of companies (i.e. Steam and Epic). I just don't see why publishers don't do both - offer the games on store fronts for those who like a convenient launcher library with the integrated features that entails while also catering to those aren't interested in that and are happy to keep a Games folder in Windows Explorer like in the early 00s.

5. The rationale is that the majority of sales are made in the initial launch period, so the 2-week protection is all they need.

As for learning from their "mistakes," Sonic Mania's reception was overwhelmingly positive and it sold millions of units. Our complaints mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm sorry asking what was probably already answered, but what features are completely exclusive for the deluxe edition and you can't unlock them in the standard version?

7. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Camera controls and additional characters (with animations) for the menu islands, some hard mode missions and additional sound test tracks from Sonic Spinball, 3D Blast and Knuckles' Chaotix, if I recall correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. _Sidle

_Sidle

very late but whatever

[the only gameplay important thing] Hard Missions
    [cosmetic stuff] a letterbox background (for the cropped Classic Mode), character animations on all 3D islands + camera controls on the main four islands(?), and the extra OSTs for other older games.
    • "Premium Fun" pack has basically everything of note in Digital Deluxe (minus the extra OSTs).
    • "Start Dash" pack only has the letterbox background... coins can obviously be earned in Anniversary Mode (though getting 100 lives manually does take a bit), and Mirror Mode is listed as being unlockable.
    • Unclear if the "Start Dash" pack only exists as a free thing for pre-ordering any version, or if it'll be up for grabs like Forces: Episode Shadow or Super Sonic.

• List
  9. RikohZX

RikohZX

In hindsight, if the character animations on the island are there, makes me wonder if this may be the first official Classic Knuckles model if they use him for Angel Island?

10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Could also be the case for Amy, though technically there is Knuckles’ special stage model in Mania. :p

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

There is also the S&K title screen Knuckles, and the awful X-treme model. The former was also used for Blue Spheres and 3D Blast. Of course, all we have of them is renders.

12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Maybe I misunderstood the post, but didn't we get official models with Saturn 3D Blast and Sonic R?

13. _Sidle

_Sidle

Sonic and Knuckles title screen (among other things) is a pre-rendered model, so you don't have to go that far back.
    Though in terms of ones still in the game files that we have (not pre-rendered), then I can think of Fighters, R, and Mania. Maybe more I'm forgetting.

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

I mean in terms of a modern render of the classic characters, since the menu seems to reuse the Classic Sonic design from Generations/Forces, and we got Classic Tails, but no Classic Knuckles or anyone else besides Metal Sonic.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I've never been too fond of the generations classic design for both sonic and tails, so I hope they don't butcher knuckles and amy if we are getting 3d renders of them.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The shopping guide page on Asian website for Origins confirms that there's no Classic Knuckles or Amy models:
    I was legit looking forward to seeing an official Classic Knuckles model, but it seems like we're out of luck. The animations of islands does include Metal Sonic quite clearly, so I'm not sure why he's not mentioned. But I definitely wouldn't expect anyone who didn't already have an official Classic model in Generations. Its a real shame.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  17. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I could be wrong on this but I think Metal isn’t mentioned because he’s part of Little Planet’s scenery animation rather than being his own thing, which makes sense, given he only appeared in CD. This being the case, I imagine all the islands will have Sonic, Tails and Eggman added to them with the DLC. I also echo the sentiment that a lack of Knuckles here is disappointing. He’s really being shafted and I think it’ll compromise Origins as a package if they don’t address it with a post launch update.

18. Linkabel

Linkabel

Sonic Team does have 3D Classic Knuckles and Amy models (along with Mighty and Ray) that RafaKnight made:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They still use them for merch so I'm surprised they didn't include them.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I only remember Rafa working on the Archie comics (which did have a lot of CG covers at one point).

20. Never seen these before - quite nice. Knuckles' shoes seem a bit small but that could just be the angle.

Edit: Yeah it was just the angle/posing. These models really are great: https://twitter.com/rafaknight_rk/status/1223683618339463171?lang=ar-x-fm

• List