don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    yeah the SMS remakes are weirdly addictive and I say this as someone who hates the original SMS games. absolutely do try them out imo

2. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I have no intention of buying this until Denuvo is removed. Such a pity, I was looking forward to getting it to see all of what's in it.

So, what exactly is this "coin" system and how does it work? The icon for it looks weird and it just feels out of place. I think Chaotix's approach by just outright removing that HUD element looks cleaner and is more elegant IMO. I guess the question becomes "what do life monitors become?" Well, the arcade versions changed them to rings IIRC, but that doesn't seem rewarding enough.

Also looking forward to learning how they handle 3K's music. Crossing my fingers that we'll get the prototype/PC music even if that's the only option (but I'm rather biased since I grew up with the PC version).

3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    In Anniversary mode life monitors are replaced with coin monitors, and it looks like you also get them for completing missions. Coins are used to unlock stuff in the museum, which it appears there are two of: a normal museum, and a "premium" museum.

4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    IIRC they're also used to immediately redo special stages if you just failed one too!

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Bloody hell, how do these guys even make money? I remember grabbing my Mania key from them back in 2017 for a discounted rate too. If only they offered the same for Switch games...

6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    To be clear, buying keys from resellers do in fact have risks, including the possibility that your keys could be invalid entirely, or region locked and requiring a VPN to activate (though those seem to be old and somewhat outdated concerns from what I've gathered.)

I don't know if that's the case here, or if some sites are simply choosing to sell at a loss to build their own reputation, but be aware that there can be real risks to these purchases. Maybe that's not the case here, but it'd be irresponsible for me not to at least mention that possibility.

Having said that, if you don't care about the DLC, the 32$ cost of just the main game is an even more reasonable deal for the package, more in line with what people would've expected from this bundle pricewise.

7. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Speaking of The Barrel, maybe they could utilize modern motion control technology and allow me to quite literally move the barrel up and down by physically raising and descending the controller's position just as I did when I was 7 years old and didn't know what else to do.

8. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    The webpage lets you check if the key is usable in your country, and it's a trusted key reseller like Humble Bundle. In this situation I see little reason to even bring up these kinds of concerns.

But yeah, I can't imagine this sort of discount doesn't come at a loss for them.

9. MastaSys

MastaSys

I assume they have some say in (and take part of) the percentage it goes to the retailer+steam and if they don't take a lower percentage why would someone buy a key from them instead of going through Steam?

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Upon looking closer at this site's selection, they have a much more limited number of keys available at any one time, making it less likely they are purchased through questionable means. I'd say they're a safe buy then.

Whatever the case, this is probably the best current purchase then for those who want the game cheaper but don't care about a Denuvo protest.

11. Noticed that Sonic Mania and (somehow) Forces are both back on the Switch eShop's bestsellers. Wonder if it's due to the movie or a result of the hype around Origins. I haven't been on the Switch in months so maybe it was like this following the movie's release.

Edit: This is referring to the US shop.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I think they're both on sale at the moment.

13. I assumed that but according to this, neither have gone on sale on the US eShop since February 2020: https://psprices.com/region-us/game/1715663/sonic-mania

Edit: That can't possibly be correct can it? The Danish storefront has it on sale currently. Has anyone seen Sonic Mania on sale on the USA eShop since then?

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Ah yeah, I'm on the French eshop. I didn't know sales could differ depending on the region :p

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    And they report if the key is activable in your country or not.

16. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    if the designers of Sonic & the Secret Rings had to remake Sonic 3 for the Wii I feel like this is what they would do lol

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

I did the Fanatical pre-order and it's on my Steam account here in the U.S. just fine now. I'm no stranger to Denuvo but I have never had issues with it besides Resident Evil Village's strange framerate stutters on killing enemies that was a universal problem for all PC players.

So I'll be here presumably to report on this thing come June 23rd.

18. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Fingers crossed for denuvo being removed.
    Still can't believe they didn't learn from their mistake with sonic mania.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sega Europe probably doesn't care. You'll see the same thing on game's Steam forums every time.

20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    It's not premium. One's the "Coins" museum and the other is the "achievements" museum, so to speak, because you unlock stuff there by completing specific stuff like "Get the good ending in this game" or "beat this act under this time limit".

Also this, but I'm not gonna use them for special stages unless I've already unlocked everything this coins can buy.