don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think the choice on the digital deluxe becomes harder when you remember it comes with additional missions. You know, actual content.

2. My interpretation of that icon is that it indicates you have save data as that character, not specifically that you've cleared it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    If you count ones that came with things I was buying, given I've never really bought music - about a month ago when my Monster Boy pack arrived. Film? Have never really been that into movies, but TV boxsets I still buy and I got a brand new 4K Bluray player for Xmas.

Some of us still believe in actually owning things.

4. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I literally just bought a bunch of Joe Walsh CDs, and I'm currently waiting til the end of next month for the 4K Blu-rays of Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More that I preordered. Physical media is less popular than it used to be and still shrinking, but there are plenty of people who keep on wanting it regardless.

And on the topic of preordering digital games, it's purposeless on a practical level unless it includes physical items as some sort of exclusive bonus. Preordering is a thing so that you can reserve a product rather than having to hope they don't go out of stock when you try to buy it at release. There is no limit to the availability of the game when it's digital only. The only thing gained is being allowed to install the game "first." The same thing often happens when a physical product is preordered, but that's more so a positive side effect of the fact that they have to ship preorders in advance of the scheduled street date.

All that said, I preordered Origins simply for the discount on Fanatical rather than wait an unknown amount of time for the game to go on sale after release.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Some game have preorder-only DLC you know.

6. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    SEGA rereleased Sonic Mania, without Plus in holiday 2019, valued priced at MSRP $19.99. It was strategic, value priced Sonic title for retail channels.

They also released physical combo packs: Sonic Mania + Team Sonic Racing Double Pack & Sonic Forces + Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD for Nintendo Switch for fall/holiday 2020, MSRP was $39.99.

A lack of physical standard edition sku is strange for SEGA, it’s possible a standard edition could turn up around the holidays. It’s possible that sell through of Sonic Colors: Ultimate launch edition was not leading to restocking with the post-launch physical standard edition SKU. Have you recently seen the box with cute baby Sonic keychain behind a display case or behind the counter at retail? Paid at or below MSRP for a Launch Edition brand new/factory sealed recently?

Sonic Origins, although unlikely to be lower than current MSRP for the standard edition digitally would be complimentary to Sonic Frontiers physically at retail compared to Sonic Mania with Sonic Forces on store shelves in 2017, assuming Sonic Frontiers is not subject to further delay. The reviews of Sonic games on Amazon, which? Bought for the kids, grandkids, younger ones is a common sentiment, especially around the holidays.

Amazon & third party retail & third party wholesale/distribution would actually lose out on some “frequently bought with” sales of other Sonic titles, including still-active SKUS. I'm not actively in the business anymore, but I still review price lists/inventory from my suppliers and the older Sonic games (Xbox 360, PS3) are still avaliable and able to be sold close to MSRP ($19.99-$29.99, above my cost).

Chances are, one of the sales would be Sonic Origins + Sonic Colors Ultimate or possibly Sonic Generations/Sonic Unleashed (especially Xbox Backwards Compatibility), the latter from a third party seller and fulfilled by Amazon with prime shipping or shipped separately.

As for movies? I go shopping for DVD, Blu-ray, 4K UHD & recently, VHS (to watch, not "omg sealed??? lets grade this!!") weekly and order online on a regular basis.

7. Harper

Harper

It should be noted that this is the Japanese chart and that Sonic CD 2011 never released on PC or consoles in Japan. It's very likely the Steam/PS3/XBLA version of CD will be delisted too.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Sonic stream just confirmed the barrel of doom is here to stay and joked that they're in the background too

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The barrel of doom is the mystic cave pit of Sonic 3.

They should have it teleport you to Balloon park if you swing it up high enough lol.

10. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Good idea! Suppose they have fully realised Sonic 3 competition zones in Origins, how would the other ones be found?

Azure Lake - Before Knuckles blows the bridge in Angel Island, have Tails airlift you to the platform above, which takes you to Azure Lake.
    Desert Palace/Chrome Gadget/Endless Mine - ???

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Desert Palace: possibly one of those dead ends in Sandopolis Acts 1 or 2

Chrome Gadget: fall in the right spot in one of the outdoor sections of flying battery

Endless Mine: found somewhere underwater in Ice Cap Act 2

12. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member

Desert Palace - Secret exit in Sandopolis Act 2 opens up, and takes you to Desert Palace

Chrome Gadget - Jump out of Tails' hands before the transition from Marble Garden to Carnival Night, you'll land in Chrome Gadget.

Endless Mine - During the spike ball chase in Lava Reef Act 1, the spike ball opens up a new path, jumping in leads to Endless Mine

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  13. Snowbound

Snowbound

I would love it if they hid the 2 player zones throughout 3K. I’m assuming they would each be one act like hidden palace in the Taxman/Stealth Sonic 2 remake. Headcanon had a lot on their plate remaking all of 3K. Is it really plausible that they designed 5 original acts? Probably not but it’s fun to speculate. If we’re lucky maybe we’ll get one or two hidden acts

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    According to the official Sonic stream today, Katie confirmed Switch pre-orders to be open within the next month.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • List
  15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    You joke, but I'm pretty sure the hidden location for hidden palace was chosen based on how many people here kept asking "I WONDER IF THEY'LL CHANGE THE CAVE PIT?"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

We already got Chrome Gadget Zone :V

Come to think of it. Since they stated that they would have liked to turn the multiplayer levels into full zones for the original potential S3K remaster, couldn't it be that they actually implemented Chrome Gadget a zone as a proof-of-concept, and when Sega didn't pick up the project, they recycled their work for Mania's Titanic Monarch? Would explain all the similarities, and we know that Mirage Saloon was similarly based on their Desert Dazzle work for the CD remaster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Link/Timestamp, per chance?

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see an influx of people wondering how to pass the Barrel when Origins releases

18. No doubt there's gonna be an achievement/trophy for the barrel. lol

19. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Except, in the original game, if you go high enough, you're crushed against the ceiling, but you get a couple of monitors if you jump to the right when high enough.

Yes, kids, that's it: while I easily guessed how the barrel of doom worked, it was still the barrel of doom for its crushing skills, both going high enough against the ceiling and being crushed when you jumped from it to the lower exit and it came back up to quick, again crushing you to the ceiling.

If you can pay coins to retry special stages, they could do that with the barrel as well.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

Was this the JP livestream everyone mentioned? I haven't yet had the chance to skim it, if so.

Edit: Origins coverage starts about 16 minutes in. Feel free to find more details to go over if anyone can, or better yet, if anyone can do competent translations.