don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

I'd love to have a few curveballs thrown in here and there to keep things fresh for veteran players, like maybe a few more surprise Knuckles encounters.

2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    When I was a kid playing Sonic 3 I thought I did something wrong by not encountering Knuckles in Marble Garden.

3. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    When Nights into Dreams HD was released, Naka (or someone from Sonic Team) implied on Twitter that buying it could potentially lead to an HD Burning Rangers. I'm mildly disappointed but not surprised it didn't happen; but also kind of surprised it never seemed to make the rounds among Sega circles.

AManCanDream.jpg

I misread team as taint and now I can't not see it.

4. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Knuckles was too busy having fun in Carnival Night (or should I say Day?) to be bothered

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    https://twitter.com/okunari/status/253453198227017728?s=20&t=MIytwl7yActmmcQIJff1OA

That was Yosuke Okunari, and yeah, I'm assuming NiGHTS HD didn't set the world on fire either way sadly.

6. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    I'm triple dipping on Origins (Switch digital, Steam, Switch physical(?)) because I want to own it on these platforms and have a nice (potential) physical copy on display in my collection. If it also results in what I'd describe as "an actual new Sonic game", that's an excellent bonus. Buy things that you want, and don't buy things you don't want.

7. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I'd love if they expanded the Knuckles-exclusive level designs, as it quite often feels cramped, less substantial and rushed compared to the other level designs.

In particular, Knuckles' Angel Island Zone: Act 2 and many parts of both Carnival Night Zone Acts feel notably more linear and at odds with the rest of Sonic 3 & Knuckles' overall more open and multi-path level designs.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I plan on double dipping, I'll get the Switch version 1st and wait a bit and get it on PC later once modding is figured out. But I want these on a system I can play while I'm watching TV lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. JW.

JW.

Pretty nice that these definitive editions will be officially available in one collection. Pricing aside (ultimately debatable and is really down to how much the individual is willing to spend) it's a nice collection and now people who are just getting into these games have one thing they need to buy to get the best versions with any enhancements that have been included. I may personally wait until I can get it cheaper down the line/see if they ever do a physical version.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

Well this is a confirmation of what they're gonna be removing, but strangely enough Sonic CD 2011 on Steam is sticking around. That or it's going and this is just trying to confirm the other game's version removals.

https://twitter.com/SEGAbits/status/1519316751971926016
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 10
    • List
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Better get any wiki stuff done now (i.e. Title screenshots). :V

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh it's just those versions and not CD at all? Yea good toss em they were all trash (but 360 Sonic 2 you could play online, doubt it works anymore though).

I def think this is more just version control now. And besides its not like they've not wiped out older versions before. Sonic 1 and 2 ios used to be emulated ROMs, then the rsdk versions came out and those were gone forever.

13. Londinium

Londinium

Well, looks like S3 Air is kind of fucked

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Don't stop now, SEGA - people can still play Sonic 1, 2 and S&K on their Wiis and 3DSes! /s

15. JW.

JW.

Not really overly concerned about them removing those versions. Anyone who wants to play comparable versions knows how to anyway. Doubt the general public will miss what could be perceived as worse versions of an old game.

16. Londinium

Londinium

BREAKING NEWS: Sega is buying Sonic 1/2/3/K cartridges and destroying them on mass

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    RIP S3 A.I.R., though.

Good news for Sonic CD Restored+Knuckles mod fans, at least. Still, I'm going to wait a bit longer before I confirm Steam CD is safe on the OP post.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  18. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    First it was George Lucas and the Star Wars Holiday Special, but they said it couldn't happen here!

I will say if they're letting the remastered version of CD stick around (along with the mobile and Switch versions of 1 and 2), I guess I'm more okay with it? It still strikes me as kind of dumb and anti-consumer, but it reminds me of when Nintendo delisted Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze from the Wii U eShop right before their Switch ports released, it's like... who is this really hurting, lol. Those versions aren't even the only way to play those games on those platforms.

Losing easy Sonic 3 AIR compatibility sucks though, for sure. No way in hell will they do this but I'd love to see Leila Wilson's alternate soundtrack be an option for 3 in an official release.

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I mean if Sega doesn't sell Sonic 3 anymore, I don't see anything wrong with downloading a random S3 rom online.
    It's not like A.I.R. is gonna up and disappear on may 20th.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They were playing nice before requesting the Steam ROM but now they'll just have to request you find a ROM from somewhere else. They're just providing the shell they're no more or less liable regardless.

It's not like Sonic 1 Refined or Sonic 2 Absolute or Sonic CD Restored are officially sanctioned either and those get by fine