don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

I literally have everything that is Sonic on Steam already besides Frontiers and Origins, plus Gems Collection, Mega Collection (Gamecube and + on the PS2), and the Classics Collection on DS as well as the PS3 era Sega collection. Never did get the Sega Ages versions of 1 and 2 because it felt like buying emulations with Drop Dash on top was a bit much. But I'm gonna buy Origins for modding potential and because it's friggin' Headcannon ports here at last, in spite of the fact that I myself hold the decomps on my computer.

I'm still allowed to complain that this is anti-consumer and Sega corporate has vapor for brains. If someone wants to accuse those eager for Origins to be weird suckers and fools, whatever, I can't really shut down or stop those opinions obviously, but that's just plain unnecessary and being rude towards fellow fans, like that Twitter post trying to take a dump on Origins while posting about the decomps in such an arrogant and pompous matter.

Being a jackass and acting superior about this stuff is just inflating one's own ego and ends up not helping or resolving anything.

The two main versions of the Sonic 1 and 2 decompilations that fans managed to make and most people prefer.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    The attitude that anyone's a sucker for buying the official release of what most would consider to probably be the most definitive versions of these games is annoying. Like you I've bought a bunch of those collections and re-releases, so yes, guilty as charged, but also if anyone's gonna get shamed or mocked for buying an official Sega Sonic the Hedgehog product then like... what the hell are we all doing here? We all like these games (I think?), Sega's about to release the best version of them. If you disagree or are fine with the unofficial ports, more power to you. Not a soul in the world will try and stop you.

I will say I don't think anyone in this thread is shaming anyone, but I have seen the sentiment across various social media platforms and it's like, touch grass, people. It's a Sonic the Hedgehog game.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Origins has wide appeal. One of its targeted audience are people like us. Sonic fans who will probably buy most re releases. But it appeals to far more than just us. It appeals to parents who played Sonic as kids and want to introduce the games to their children after showing them the films. It appeals to platformer fans who haven't played Sonic since Mega Collectin and want to play it in wide-screen. It appeals to gamers who have played a lot of classics but never got round to Sonic and this is a convenient package.

It's appealing to a wide demographic and we have to keep that in mind when criticising it for just being another collection re release. If that's not your thing then fair enough, I wasn't interested in Colors Ultimate and didn't pick it up. But I recognised that was also appealing to a wide demographic. Good for them.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    lol re-releases aside, I think also it's important to point out, like I did two posts ago, that Sega actually went and paid people in the community to work on this. They could've easily just re-released the ROMs again and not have spent that time and money, but no, they paid the guy who put together a proof of concept seven years ago and the members of the community he hired, and put it in an official product*. Especially given the hard time Stealth has had going on, this is a good thing in terms of setting precedent for the community.

If I wanted to be extremely, cruelly cynical, I'd posit that it seems like the community will sing the praises and supports its devs only when their work is free.

* And whatever changes 1 & 2 had to have done to get them to not use shit mobile controls, given that they, again, never left Mobile Jail. Taxman also said on twitter that he made engine changes so they could run in a collection, which is still work no matter how "easy" that could be perceived.

5. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

[/QUOTE]
    The attitude that anyone's a sucker for buying the official release of what most would consider to probably be the most definitive versions of these games is annoying. Like you I've bought a bunch of those collections and re-releases, so yes, guilty as charged, but also if anyone's gonna get shamed or mocked for buying an official Sega Sonic the Hedgehog product then like... what the hell are we all doing here? We all like these games (I think?), Sega's about to release the best version of them. If you disagree or are fine with the unofficial ports, more power to you. Not a soul in the world will try and stop you.

I will say I don't think anyone in this thread is shaming anyone, but I have seen the sentiment across various social media platforms and it's like, touch grass, people. It's a Sonic the Hedgehog game.[/QUOTE]
    Not at all, and if I WAS shaming anyone I'd only be including myself 'cos I've bought Christ knows how many copies of Mania and the 2011/13 remasters, and like a sucker will probably grab Origins. The cause of my frustration really is timing. Origins should've been a thing a long time ago, 1,2, CD were done, and Stealth was just waiting for the green light for 3. But Mania happened in those intervening years, so for Origins to be the 30th anniversary title feels like a massive step back after the anticipation of new stuffs following Mania. Anyway, my frustration is my own to bear, I hope you all enjoy Origins, and I hope to enjoy it with youse. Sos we got off on the wrong foot there Retro!

6. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Honestly it might be a good idea to ask if the delisting will apply to the Steam ROMs of Sonic games as well.

8. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly feel like with my initial reaction post that part of this is still tied to the settlement on the Sonic 3 music rights issue. Burying all the old versions of those things would effectively be one heck of a way of doing it, while the various Switch ports of 1 and 2 are all new versions that can skate by the problems with new contract stuff I guess.

Makes sense. With no Origins announcement for Phones there's no reason for these to go anywhere.

10. Eeeh. Keep in mind this is a Digital release, and things on digital are rarely permanently marked down outside of sales. So its more than likely going to be $40 for the foreseeable future.

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

I dunno about that. Sonic Forces on Steam is $40, same general price as Origins, but on the Nintendo eShop you can get it for $20 digital and it's not even on sale, even if it is the worst version of the game.

12. ALSO on the topic of these, I would highly suggest to SEGA to give people who already own all the Classic Sonic games included in Origins on Steam a free copy of Origins if they do indeed yeet the old Steam listings. Or a discount.

Which is a terrible idea to do, the yeeting - Let us keep our ROM Hacks for Sonic games available, dammit!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    lol.

14. yeaaah i can see why that's not a good idea in retrospect. Still think they shouldn't get rid of the ROMs.

15. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It's genuinely worrying to me how many people seem to be doing the exact thing people accuse some others of doing with other entries in the franchise, like "settling". Sonic Colors Ultimate releases, anybody is happy about that? Oh boy you bet your ass someone will be there to tell you why you're wrong because of some bullshit about Tropical Resort not being fullbright and how adding Park Tokens, Customization or Rival Rush doesn't make it better than the original, so go play it on Dolphin instead.

And now "go play it on dolphin instead" is a DEFENSE of Origins.

What worries me the most is how many people think this is the gateway to Mania 2, so just buy it so we can get mania 2, just make it successful so we can get Mania 2, what kind of mindset is that? Buy this product so we can fantasize about getting another one?

If you're genuinely happy with this AS IT IS, ON ITS OWN, then that's great! I'm so glad for you! I'm glad you'll be so happy with something I can only feel disappointed in.

But if you're only interested in it because you think it'll get you Mania 2, or hiding dissatisfaction or defending it from some "haters" for the sake of not turning other people off for valid reasons or even just because of *who* worked on it, I think you might need to reconsider what it is you're actually here for.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    50% of the reason I want to buy Origins is because I want Mania 2. But I'm not double dipping I literally bought Mania like 10 times because I wanted to "vote with my wallet". How many times would I have to buy Origins?

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I'm not expecting a Mania 2 from buying this, but I find is a good sign Sega is putting some care, even if it's only because of their greed, for classic stuff. I'm buying this because I want to experience these remakes (except maybe CD because I already experienced that 10 years ago). I only bought Mania a second time in the form of its physical release for switch because I wanted the physical stuff that came with it, and I'd probably do that again if Origins Plus ever happens. That's all. I'm happily inmune to all this controversy, as much as I'll be happy if I don't play these games for another 10 years after I 100% Origins or get bored trying (I never bothered to beat Sonic 2 as Knux on Megadrive, and that could happen again with this).

But I'm also against delisting: any previous release of these games is a different thing from Origins and should be treated like that. better or worse, they're options for people who don't want this product, want to play the original product, or any other option you want to add to the list. I can hardly see a reason to find more profitable delisting that stuff than keeping it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Stop this.

Supporting this game because of who the developers are, in the same community they were raised in, is a 100% valid reason to buy it. People literally drop hundreds of dollars just to support their favorite content creators all the time these days, expecting nothing in return beyond whatever randomized content said person may produce. Buying a game because you support their efforts and want to help them be successful is a perfectly valid form of support in this day and age.

I'm not saying you need to do this yourself, or that you can't decide not to buy it at this price, or because of Denuvo, the delisting or DLC, but it's worth pointing out that the success of this collection has merit for multiple reasons.

19. I feel like the disconnect here is the assumption that buying Origins is automatically supporting the developers when uh...I don't think that's how it works. Roughly 90% of the profits are going to go towards Sega as a whole, while Headcanon and Stealth will probably see just a fraction of that. They're contractors, not actual employees of Sega at the end of the day.

If you want to support your favorite content creators or developers, it's best to find a way to give them money directly as opposed to merely buying their products. Just thinking about this from a business perspective, because many fans assume buying products is supporting the devs when uh....no you're supporting the corporations that hire said devs.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

And that is exactly the misconception I'm trying to correct here. Successful product launches are a key to the future careers of these people even after they get paid. It helps them get more work when a game does well, even from other developers, and even outside of SEGA.

This is even 'more' important when they are small time independent contractors just starting out. You want a good portfolio filled with at least one hit if at all possible, regardless of the quality of your work in the portfolio itself. At the very least, working on one solidly selling game doesn't hurt your reputation.

And as one final point, yes, direct donations to a developer are helpful (and should also be encouraged when the devs ask for it), but they are not a replacement for new contracts and full time work from earned success.

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List