don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Desert Palace and Balloon Park just become Act 3s to Sandopolis and Carnival Night, Cyber City to Metropolis style

2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I love it, but why stop there?

Sonic Speed Simulator: An escape room where the walls act like one gigantic level. Opens in Super Nintendo World this summer.

3. Londinium

Londinium

Anyone have any sort of idea of the file size yet? I was considering getting this on PS4, but that's running dangerously low on space, my PC though has plenty.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Because they mentioned "4K 60FPS" earlier, as a condensed graphic spec earlier. In order to say '4K vailable on PC, Xbox, and PlayStation only' they would need to say just 4k and then put 60FPS in a separate topic earlier in the text. And honestly, saying 4K60FPS is only available to one platform doesn't necessarily mean the other platforms are running at 30fps. Just by changing the resolution that's already true.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    [​IMG]
    Just seen this from Tracker's Twitter, and I must say I'm hugely disappointed by this move. I understand the perception that having multiple iterations of the same game available on the same platform would be redundant, but this seems to be saying that the ROM versions of Sonic 1-3K on Steam will be delisted, and the SEGA Forever versions on mobile will too (though I can see this not being the case but going unmentioned due to the age of those ports and being the only way to play them on mobile - I don't imagine they'll go after the M2 versions on 3DS, for example), as well as the Steam release of CD. This hurts preservation, leaves people with less purchase options (especially pertinent given it's only a quid each for the ROMs on Steam) and raises the bar of accessibility for the hacking scene. Really hoping enough noise is made about this that SEGA reneges on such a boneheaded decision.

6. Londinium

Londinium

You forgot that Sega's #1 thing is making boneheaded decisions and sticking to them

7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    God if there's any way to increase piracy, this is it. Sonic 3 AIR might be outmoded by the Origins release but having it as an option (as you need the ROM to supply AIR with the game's assets) without having to pirate the ROM would always be a good thing. The same is true of the other ROMs too, and is bad for general preservation.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    You say that, but a lot of what's been coming out of Sonic in the past couple of years shows that at least some portion of the people steering this series do give a damn.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    For what it's worth, it may not affect the Steam releases since they're technically not standalone products but DLC for Sega Classics. I assume it's primarily referring to the Xbox versions and the 2011 PC version of CD (which I frankly don't give a damn about getting unlisted since it hasn't been maintained in a decade and is a pain to get working on modern Windows).

10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I would be very surprised if they delist the Android/iOS versions of the games considering that they just released app updates for them yesterday.. like why update them if you know you’re going to delist them?

I really hope that’s not the case and the option is still there for the few people who enjoy mobile gaming and can’t afford a home console or a Switch at the moment

This also stings for preservation purposes, especially if we are supposedly getting different tracks for Sonic 3 and also needing the original game for 3 AIR and the CD decomp.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  11. MastaSys

MastaSys

Sega must have thought they didn't pissed off their customer base enough, I see.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Oof.

Better get those steam copies now, guys, as there's no guarantee how well modding will function on Origins out of the gate. I'm sure it'll take off eventually, but we still don't know what Denuvo's impact will be, and I can't blame people for wanting Denuvo free versions.

Wonder if this means the decompiles and AIR could see DMCAs at some point? (I highly, highly doubt this to be clear, as that has never been SEGA's preferred method) That'd be the real kicker.

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

Happens right on my birthday too, egh.

I guess that's one way to permanently bury the music problem if Origins does replace the Buxer tracks.

14. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Suddenly, I'm really really happy that I bought Sega Mega Drive Classic Collection for PC back in the day.

Its basically official rompacks, and no one will ever take that from me. Maybe except bit rot because CD's :V

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'll say that it would be pretty bad to actually remove the Sonic roms DLC from Sega Classics, as said before one could figure that miiiiight stick around? But the all-encompassing statement feels very broad since they specifically note the Sega Ages versions and the Sonic 2 on Switch Online as staying up, while 3&K really only has decade old collections on console and PC to worry about.

This also means that while a lot of people just, ahem, acquired a rom for AIR to play it, the actual legal avenue of using the Sega Classics rom would be gone for good unless you already owned it, which muddles things up a bit and prevents the average consumer that doesn't know how rom stuff works from approaching AIR even further.

16. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

If this is an attempt by Sega to essentially shitcan Sonic 3 AIR, well then the Origins version will have to offer everything AIR does and much more.

17. Londinium

Londinium

>be sega
    >fans keep making better games than you since 2017
    >sonic 3 air is the straw that breaks the camel's back
    >'fuck it, i'll show them'
    >release movies, get a new bunch of fans from it
    >delist old sonic games everywhere
    >force everyone to buy origins to play them
    >dumb kids coming in have no clue

Was this their plan all along????

18. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

To be fair, veteran classic fans are equally dumb.

Sonic Fans 2017: Wow! Mania was great, just imagine a follow up but with all new zones!
    Sega: Great! Glad you liked it.

Sonic Fans 2021: Umm... Sega?
    Sega: Oh, um yeah... errr... here, go play the Classics again (that you can play blind folded through sheer muscle memory alone).
    Sonic Fans 2021: OMG SO HYPED FOR ORIGINS! Make sure you go and buy it with money guys, to send a clear message to Sega of what we want.

Cycle repeats, and Sega find another way of selling youse Sonic 1 again.

19. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    lol

Me for the past decade: "boy I wish I could play those nice shiny versions of 1 & 2, and a better version of 3&K too"
    Sega: "..."
    (Sonic 3 AIR appears)
    (Disassemblies that are at least Better Than Nothing show up)
    Me: "cool. would be nice if they would eventually show up for real at some point but cool."

Sega: "so anyway here's that thing you've wanted for years, AND also an official remake by members of the community who got paid for it"
    Me: "oh thank god, here's my money"

20. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Well considering who is developing this remaster, I’m fairly certain that they took notes from not only AIR, but Complete as well, in order to deliver the best version of 3&K possible

You have to remember though that the insane amount of customization that 3 AIR offers is likely out of the realm of possibility for Origins because of all the small, minute details that have been added. (In fact, some of them are not even necessary in my opinion)

But my faith is still very high for Stealth to deliver considering his experience.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List