don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Being completely honest, the thing I'm most excited for in Origins are Tyson Hesse's new animations! His work is absolutely awesome, and having new content in the vein of what Sonic CD had to offer but based on the cartridge games is a dream! I don't think they'll be inserted in the middle of gameplay though, and I really hope they won't be! There's no point in altering the games in that way... the animations should be there to complement the games, not to intrude and interrupt the gameplay.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  2. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Leather 'n lace, let's get goin'
    Whaddya get, say, baguette

3. YuTwo

YuTwo

You do have a point with Sonic’s best ending having finality to it but I do feel like that Eggrobo tease would be a way to hint at something more and perhaps even nudge players to the connection that it will have for Knuckles campaign when the Eggrobo appears there. I also do understand the feeling of not having it added in so it won’t be a cliffhanger and I wouldn’t be that upset if it wasn’t included either. I do know altering the endings may not be liked by everyone even if this change is rather minor in comparison to what @Dek Rollins said about Sonic 2's ending in a post they made but as they have shown in their response in addition to yours it shows there is a group of people who would rather there be no more alterations to the endings. There is nothing wrong with this either by the way please don't take this as me being disparaging against this. Text is hard to convey emotion with.
    Thanks for being one of them. By the way now that I have the opportunity to tell you I just want to let you know that your video + - (at least I think it's your video since the YT channel has the same name as yours but I don’t want to just assume)   of that hidden feature of Knuckles waving to Sonic in Sky Sanctuary Zone was how I discovered that was even a thing. I know most people nowadays would have most likely discovered it from Cybershell’s video as it has more views on it but that older video was the one on how I found out about it over a decade ago.
    Yeah, understandably people outside of the fandom will have no idea about the many new features that were added to these versions (versions that were only on mobile might I add minus CD of course) let alone who exactly are Taxman & Stealth and their contributions to the series.
    I linked Christian Whitehead’s post about this before for you but in case anyone wants it again then here:
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...ch-ps4-xbox-one-pc.35709/page-269#post-896459
    I would rather they just improve Knuckles AI so that the fight could actually be some sort of a challenge but maybe not too hard to the point where it would be frustrating for younger players though.
    I love how Sonic 3 Complete added that scene of the Death Egg crashing back into Angel Island by using the Sonic & Knuckles title screen. That makes me wonder how it will be made into widescreen though if it will be used since the title screen sequence was only done in 4:3 aspect ratio. One other thing I would love for them to add is the unused sprites of Eggman fleeing from the Launch Base Zone transition cutscene:

More information on this here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2022042....com/2018/01/youre-going-to-pay-for-this.html
    Thanks for telling us this so there won’t be any more speculation. For now I’m going to assume the animations shown in the trailer were only made for it, like Mania’s pre-order trailer. I know you probably can’t say anymore at the moment but it’s either that or these animations are going to be shown as ending montages for each game in the story mode like Sonic CD’s ending animation showed Sonic running through all the zones in that game.
    100% on board with this as that is exactly what I was thinking once I read the post from @Boxer Hockey that I quoted above. You know what they say, great minds think alike :V

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Has it been confirmed that the JP opening/ending for Sonic CD made it in unscathed?

5. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    So you're thinking more in vein of an intro animation that plays if you don't push any button at the title screen, and another animation for when you finish the game?

That'd be pretty neat but I'd rather have Chaotix style intermissions honestly

6. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    If you’re referring to the vocals for each song, then there is no confirmation yet.

7. Turbohog

Turbohog

You know, one enhancement for CD that I think really should be included is instant time travel, as originally envisioned. Probably not included since Knuckles isn't, but it would be a fantastic option to have.

8. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Question about a footnote at the end of the trailer (around 1:27)

upload_2022-4-26_11-27-59.png

So does this mean the Switch version is going to be 30FPS, even though the original games were 60FPS?

9. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I doubt it. That's probably referring to the 4K bit, since the Switch only outputs up to 1080p.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Going back to the topic regarding the cutscenes, I believe the footage shown in the trailer is either:

1) Exclusive footage for the trailer

2) Segments of a general opening animation when you boot up Origins

It's likely that the proper cutscenes are still being kept under wraps as of this writing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    But then wouldn't it just say "4K available on PC, Xbox, and PlayStation only"? Why specifically include the term "60FPS" then?

12. Harper

Harper

60 FPS could be referring to the island menus. I doubt the main games will run at 30, given how many animations in these games rely on the frame rate being 60FPS.

13. Snowbound

Snowbound

The Game Awards Trailer for Sonic Frontiers has been up on the official Sonic youtube channel for 4 months and has 2.1 million views. The trailer for Sonic Origins has been up for 5 days and has 1.8 million views. Don’t let the negativity from the mega fans let u down; folks are very interested in Origins. EF9051C2-B166-4207-AF53-83B8547C6DDB.jpeg 6E49DC30-9F76-47AA-A7F2-CA2FE7982450.jpeg

Also I’m not trying to pit 2D and 3D fans against each other. I’m just trying to put into perspective HOW excited people are for Origins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I mean, that’s very normal. Trailers get the majority of their views when they’re hot and fresh, then drop off pretty quickly once the news has spread. Also influencing this is that a fair amount of people will have already seen the Frontiers trailer during the Game Awards livestream.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Out of interest was Mania on Switch in 60 FPS?

I can understand new games such as Forces and Frontier not being 60 FPS on Switch. But it doesn’t seem like Origins has anything that graphical intensive which would stop it from having 60FPS.

The Switch is Sega’s biggest platform for Sonic so they should take more care to have 60 FPS for older games.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yes, Mania was 60 FPS for Switch, universally. Even with all the awesome effects and assets it's still a 2D game (besides the special stages, which did have frame dips on Switch due to partial outsourcing for the initial release but was fixed in the Plus update) that hardly pushes any boundaries on a processing level even by 2017's standards. While the 3D islands for Origins might have framerate limits (though they don't look that complex or demanding to me at all), the actual games should be even less demanding than Mania across the board and run without a fuss even with an updated Retro Engine.

That notice about the 60FPS is entirely referring to running it in tandem with 4K, something the Switch obviously can't do, and nothing more than that.

17. This is nice, I'm looking forward to play 3&K again a la taxman ports.

What I really want is ultrawide support :)

EDIT: that pre order spreadsheet nonsense can fuck off though :V

18. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

IIRC Stealth stated his intention way back when he'd pitched his 3K remaster to Sega was to create fully realised Zones out of the competition stages. That would be rather lovely wouldn't it?

19. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Can anyone more well-versed in digital Switch purchases hazard a guess as to when the eShop page for Origins is likely to go live? This'll be a rare digital purchase for me as I usually buy physical wherever possible, and I've got some Gold Points I'd love to spend to get a discount on the collection - however, they expire at the end of this month. It'd be good to have some idea whether the page is likely to go live before then, as if not I'll look and see if there's anything else I want to spend them on before they disappear.

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Well, Sonic Colours Ultimate's pre-order went up on eShop 3 months out from its release, so there seems to be little precedent for this.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List