don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Buy Sonic Origins with money

2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Literally just preordered the game on PS5 about a half-hour ago and excitedly told my wife.

Eat me, random internet people.

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I was pointing this out before on the day the trailer dropped. People were saying it exclusively because of the DLC chart.

Thing is, most of them have no idea what these remakes are actually like and why people here would want this collection. Lots of people still think it's Mega Collection with less ROMS. How many people even understand that the Taxman remakes have things like new stages, extra paths for Tails and Knuckles, and other more subtle touchups that should be available on PC/Console officially?

Would I like more features and a cheaper price? Sure. But there was actually quite a bit of effort put into this collection. This isn't the Mario 3D All Stars situation by any means.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I thought 45 bucks for the game was a bit steep, so preordering for 36 from a key seller today was a lucky break. I recommend everyone else do the same.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    After reading over the newly implemented features, I stand slightly corrected, but am keeping my expectations low nonetheless.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I think the DLC structure is very off-putting.

The price doesn’t seem too bad however. I thought it was expensive at first but the UK standard version is going to be £33 and the deluxe for £37. When brand new games cost between £45 - £60 it’s actually pretty fair.

However, the lack of a physical release is damning for me, so it’s probably going to be a pass for now.

I’m also confused about the “classic music” DLC. What’s that about?

7. Includes the soundtracks of some of the other pre-Saturn Sonic games. I've heard Spinball and Chaotix are amongst them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Is the Switch version released alongside the others?

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Presumably, yes. Nothing yet says that the Switch version will launch later than the rest. I think that only reason the Switch version doesn't have any active pre-order links is because the eShop page just isn't live yet. It's not confirmed yet of course, but I'd be really surprised if SEGA launched Origins later on the platform with the biggest Sonic audience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'm honestly curious how the S3&K multiplayer will be handled, if the multiplayer for any of these versions is even intact at all for local. You've got widescreen real estate to work with now.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Fingers crossed this release gets a retail later on like mania but either way i'm quad dipping lol

Actually thinking more about it, sega have done double releases of sonic racing and monkey ball so the likelyhood of a mania and origins double release down the road is completely realistic.

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Oh, absolutely - I wouldn't for a second want exact layout ports, I'd want something designed to take full advantage of the game's mechanics and stage layouts that fit in with the level design style of the Mega Drive game. The music I'd definitely want to be heavily based on the originals, though YM2162-ified appropriately and with the compositions extended to around 1:30 in length before looping to match in better with the rest of the soundtrack (my one gripe with Sonic 1 8-bit is that while the stage themes are all bangers they're just too short compared to the Mega Drive version!). I'd even suggest remixing the 8-bit Labyrinth Zone theme and cheekily using it for Scrap Brain Zone 3 to give it more of a unique flavour.

Of course, that's all very much a dream at the moment, but hey - fingers crossed that it's popular enough that they decide to do some sort of 'proper' DLC down the line, whatever that may be.

13. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    I echo others' wishes to see Chaotix in the game. It's not that great gameplay-wise, but it's still a cool game that happens to be completely gorgeous in its aesthetics.

14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Honestly, I think combining it with Mania would make it a bit awkward. Mania is two-thirds remixed levels from the games in Origins, and Origins brings the games onto the same Retro Engine version as Mania. It'd be a bit too much deja vu having them back-to-back.

Hindsight is 20/20, but imagine if Origins was the 25th anniversary thing we got instead of Mania, and now we got a Mania with all original levels.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    IIRC wasn't Mania's original pitch of Sonic Discovery basically Origins minus S3K plus a kinda mini story with new levels? So we're basically getting their original vision expanded on, even if it ended up being in 2 parts (or technically like, 5 or 6 but whatever).

16. I hope this will be included in Sonic 3 & Knuckles:
    upload_2022-4-25_11-46-29.png

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I doubt Stealth would do the remake and not include it.

Though I confess, I've come to appreciate Sonic 3 Air's approach of building/repurposing a new starting path for Knuckles.

18. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I hope we get an animated version.

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    You are correct.. Christian and his team originally pitched a bundle of the mobile remasters (1,2, and CD) for consoles along with a small game that included all original levels (maybe 3-4).. Iizuka took that small original game concept, it became Sonic Mania, and the rest is history. Now that remaster bundle gets revisited 7 years later :V

This is something I was actually pondering about.. would you guys be ok with some of the game transitions be replaced with the animated cutscenes? (Example: Instead of actually fighting Knuckles yourself like you did originally in Hidden Palace, that whole sequence would just play out in an animated scene)

20. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly the way Story Mode sounds, it's the bits of the trailer footage and then some that they play before a game and after to sum up what you just did and then hype up the next game, and that's kind of it. If every major zone transition had a cutscene associated, that would've been cool, but probably biting off a bit more than this sort of collection was intended for.

But I'd rather fight Knuckles than skip with a scene.