don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Knuckles and Sonic CD gives off the same vibes as Valve and Half Life 3

Actually, I suppose the better analogy would be: Sega and Knuckles in Sonic CD gives off the same vibes as Valve and Half Life 3

3. Snowbound

Snowbound

Knuckles not being playable in CD is very unfortunate. Do I understand this correctly: even though Taxman updated the engine, CD is still running on the oldest version that’s just been updated a lil bit? Is that right? That’s why they couldn’t add Knuckles? Well, hopefully mods can fix this lol.

As for Amy, I really wanted her to be playable but I understand that it would be a lot of extra work to create a new character move set given the fact that they had to remake all of S3K for Origins.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Man, I was trying to temper my expectations, but seeing unambiguously that Knuckles won’t be in CD really hurts. Yeah, I know you can mod him into the 2011 remaster, but that does nothing for the console versions. I’m sure there are good reasons relating to the age of CD’s version of the Retro engine, but I can’t deny the collection does now feel compromised to me as a result. Hopefully this is rectified in an update down the line by then reaching out to the creator of the mod.

5. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Knuckles not being playable in CD was stated a few days ago in a Famitsu article and I hope that it doesn't continue remain true in the future. It's the kind of "you might as well have gone all the way" thing that I see frustratingly often in games.

6. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Sorry I could spared you all a lot of time. That’s literally just like a rendering error or compression artifact or something.

• Useful Useful x 15
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  7. Man

No Knuckles in CD confirmed.

This... actually kinda hurts. That was one of the things I was looking forward to the most too.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Gah, I bloody knew it was an artefact! Thanks, Tyson.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

I get the concern of the console player problem, but I know I'm getting this for PC (and probably as future prep for a Steam Deck), so I figure we'll mod it in like we have before at least.

Considering it's not even the full team working on this collection, I understand why they probably didn't have the time or means to get Knuckles working in CD.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Really hope it sells well enough that they consider doing proper DLC down the line - adding Knuckles to Sonic CD seems an obvious thing to add as part of a DLC pack. Maybe add that plus a new 'extended mode' for Sonic 1, adding three new stages based on Bridge Zone, Jungle Zone and Sky Base Zone from the 8-bit version?

11. Snowbound

Snowbound

IF they do DLC I’m wondering if they’d wait to align it with a physical release similar to Sonic Mania plus. Tbc Sega’s made it clear that no physical release is on the table now... but that could change depending on how origins sells. It’d also be cool to continue the plus branding of Sonic Mega Collection Plus and Sonic Mania Plus. I’m getting way ahead of myself here since Origins isn’t even out... but here’s My unrealistic wish list for a plus version or future dlc: Knuckles added to CD, Mighty and Ray added to 3K (I’m assuming 3K is running on the same version of retro engine as mania) and a virtual game room similar to the bedroom in the steam genesis collection where u can play the classic sonic arcade games and the mater system/game gear/32x/saturn spinoffs. I’m honestly glad we’re only getting the 5 main genesis/CD Sonics as they are all of a consistently high quality but more games (specifically SegaSonic and Knuckles’ Chaotix) would be kickass dlc. Yes, this is completely unrealistic.... but I feel like day dreaming.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  12. _Sidle

_Sidle

Has anyone talked about the bottom part of that official site yet?

upload_2022-4-23_5-40-17.png

The only major voice acting in any of these games that I remember are in CD (OP and ED, Sonic, Amy, signposts, music samples) and 3K (music samples from the S3 tracks), but they're all either English or non-specific.
    What would necessitate JP voiceovers...? Maybe the new story mode cutscenes?

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Will they have the balls to have classic Sonic speak?
    ...Will the OVA finally be dethroned as the best version of classic Sonic? This is some hype shit right there.

14. Pakodim

Pakodim

France
    ... or maybe they'll include the two 1999 OAV as extras contents ! Believe

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Maybe the voice acting is for a voice announcer for Origins time-attack results screen like we got with Sonic Mania (Takenobu Mitsuyoshi did the Jp voice).

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    There's already a mod that added Knuckles to Sonic CD remastered: https://gamebanana.com/wips/53126

In fact, there are several. So it's a bit strange Sega couldn't have reached out to one of these fans and included their code in the game.

I'm personally hoping that Sonic Origins is a bit of a rush job (and that's why Headcanon only worked on S3K because there wasn't time for one team to work on the whole project). And down the line, they'll do a Plus version that has Knuckles in Sonic CD, Ray, Mighty, and Amy as unlockables, buddy mode, and 2P Co-op/VS split screen.
    But I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment.

17. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    They shouldn't need to reach out to anyone, they should be able to just do stuff like that on their own.

Maybe spend less time programming camera controls into the main menu and program in stuff people want. lol

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Oh god maybe we are actually getting RCS Classic Sonic I am so here for this

19. Yuzu

Yuzu

Honestly would be open to another voice actor as well (maybe Ben Schwartz?) but it would be great to hear Roger Craig Smith as Classic Sonic.

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Heck, something EXACTLY like Mania Plus would be an awesome investment, some extra playables and maybe even a four player mode added to Sonic 2.

It is admitedly odd Knuckles isn't playable in CD, given the extra content they've added to this package doesn't seem any less elaborate. Reconstructed mission stages are surely an even bigger programming task.