don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

Here you go.

And this is how the Little Planet diorama looks as a desktop background.

• Useful Useful x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Understanding why people like the remakes isn't the same as agreeing with them being the "definitive" versions. That's my issue. Sonic Origins will be seen as the absolute definitive collection of the original Mega Drive titles, yet if it doesn't fix the numerous problems and inaccuracies in the existing mobile remakes, then it won't be very definitive in my opinion.

I also want to comment on "but the original ROMs are still available" in relation to my feelings on the remakes. I want to play updated versions of these games with cool new features and such. I just want it to be otherwise accurate so that I can still enjoy the other things I enjoy in these games. Such accuracy is completely possible to achieve and I hope they choose to go that route, even if it takes post-release patches to get there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    How do we unlock the mirror mode without pre-ordering?

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don’t think it’s confirmed yet, but I imagine either by collecting enough coins or it unlocks on a per game basis once you’ve beaten a given game.

@Dek Rollins I think the question that comes to my mind is “Does accuracy to the original really make for a definitive experience?” I saw the Emerald Hill clip, and all I could think was “surely that wasn’t intended by the devs”, and now I’m thinking about Robotnik’s diabolical traps. I’ll concede on points such as the S1 special stage, but there was some jank in the original games. Some of it beneficial, but still jank. So if this is cleared up in a remaster, and the more solid game that doesn’t let you get stuck in the floor also prevents you from doing a specific high level skip that was never intended anyway, is that not still an improved experience?

Likewise, the CNZ barrel. Now, for some reason my gut tells me this’ll be left as is, but entertain the idea that it’s changed to be like every other barrel in the zone rather than an infuriating mechanic originally used to get people to dial up cheat hotlines. Is *that* then a blemish on the remaster? I can accept that these remasters have flaws, but they’re much better in their core gameplay than simply “close enough”, and I’d argue that a definitive version shouldn’t require perfection, but should be the most accessible and enjoyable experience of what’s available. To me, that means removing the spike bug from Sonic 1, making the Sonic 2 half pipes parseable, making the CNZ barrel consistent with the others, widening the field of view and so on, so forth.

5. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’ve always wanted a Sonic Spinball themed rom hack of Sonic 2. Wouldn’t that be sick: the locations of spinball with the physics of Sonic 2 and more traditional Sonic level design?

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    The trailer clearly shows footage of Knuckles with Tails AI following. So I assume we'll be able to select this formation via the normal select menu instead of having to access debug mode to play as them like we did in the S2 mobile remaster back in 2013.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  7. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Modding will probably return lives to Anniversary and other such functionality anywho, if Classic is literally just 4:3 with bonus features turned off and lives re-enabled that means the code should be readily usable per game. I'm actually curious if we'll be able to crack open things like the Missions to make our own customized snapshot challenges of sorts too.

I figure each of the games are separated and the menus are akin to most modern launchers, but it would be neat if it's all technically "one game" launching as different modes and effects that shares assets and code.

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Wait a second, there's a bunch of new info in there? Have we talked about this website yet?

edit: Story mode will be exclusive to Sonic apparently. Kind of a bummer tbh

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

D3236A6F-BB94-4608-911D-BF6D0A2DE3BA.jpeg
    it’s wild that the sega asia site has so much more detail. Is this normal for the US to have less info or lag beyond Asia on website updates?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    It'd be nice if it was extended to the other characters I guess, but I'm sure the issue here was not wanting to remake each of the animated sequences to use Tails or Knuckles, especially since it wouldn't jive with Sega's canon to show like, Tails saving Amy in Stardust Speedway or Knuckles fighting Eggman in Sonic 1.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

It's probably entirely because of Knuckles not being accessible in CD, honestly.

13. This appears to be a translation of the Japanese Sonic Origins page which indeed had more info.

In general, the Japanese versions of sites are much more robust and detailed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    It's a bit of a bummer at first blush, but honestly, I'm not sure how many times I'll ever run through Story mode anyway. It's a super cool thing, but all of those games in a row is a tall order in the first place, let alone as each character. Maybe if my attention span wasn't so finnicky these days, but otherwise... :V

15. I’m fine with it myself. I can’t imagine how much work would go into creating unique animations for each potential run through, especially when a good number of people will likely play once and be done.

I wonder if it includes Tails as a companion in 2 and 3 though.

16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Knuckles still not being payable in CD is a real drag tbh, he'd be perfect for the game's fucky level design.
    That's my only real complain with what we've seen so far, otherwise I can happily say I was dead wrong about the game being a simple collection of the mobile remasters; there's some real effort in there.

If the story mode follows the canon version of the games that would make the most sense yeah.
    Does this mean we're gonna see how Tails and Sonic met for the first time ever*? I'm kinda excited, tho I'll admit Sonic Before the Sequel will always be how it happened in my headcanon :V

*barring that one flashback from Adventure, but it wasn't exactly the pinnacle of storytelling anyway, so...

17. Flare

Flare

Just realised that the trailer makes use of the far superior GBA logo... which makes me hopeful anniversary mode makes use of the GBA physics. :D

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 22.16.42.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Yeah it's pretty daft that the Asia website is way more specific and provides actual details to view and scroll through, I really wish SEGA would stop splitting extra information off onto different region-exclusive websites. I only even found out about it while browsing Twitter, and someone linked to it because it breaks down the various Packs' and Editions' information differently.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I just added your quote to the OP, actually.

20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I'll co-sign both of these aside from the parts exclusively about added content, I think those can have a place, it just needs to be clearly communicated that it is different from how it was originally.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022