don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Honestly, people are severely blowing the DLC thing out of proportion.

While I agree that it should've been content that's included in the base game, and I would have no complaints is SEGA just dropped the whole thing and folded it all into the price of the game, what's added by it is extremely minor and the cost difference is much smaller than the core cost of the game itself. (12% vs a new game's DLC costing anywhere from 25-50% of the main price, or more.)

People are more upset because of the confusing chart than because of what the content itself even is. I see a lot of people on GBATemp and ResetEra now saying they won't buy it because of just the DLC alone, which is silly.

The only actual content of merit in the 5$ DLC is a few extra challenge missions. If you don't care about those? Skip it, you won't miss anything else of real value that you can't easily obtain elsewhere. These coins will be easy to collect in the main game and 100 will make no difference. Just buy the core game and move on. Pre-Order DLC is a stupid industry standard, but this one is harmless compared to countless other DLC examples I've seen, and the game isn't using micro-transactions either. If you're using a confusing DLC chart as a reason to skip the entire game, you're going to be missing out.

If you don't want to buy it because of the core price or the features of the game itself, or because of past purchases? That's more reasonable. Or skip the PC version because of Denuvo? I totally get that.

But don't use a 5$ DLC alone as the reason.

(Also, I noticed a bunch of news articles trying to blow up stories about it too, which isn't helping. Though if that actually 'does' convince SEGA to drop the DLC price, I wouldn't complain.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  2. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'll echo the complaints on pricing. The only "new" game is the remastered version of S3&K. I have Genesis copies of some of these games, Sonic and Knuckles Collection on PC, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic 2 XBLA, Sonic CD on Steam, Sonic CD Paid on IOS, Sonic CD Paid on Android, Sonic 1 Paid on Android, Sonic 2 Paid on Android, and probably even more versions I'm forgetting. Even if I hadn't already paid for these games a billion times, $40/$45 is steep for 4 old games - even with enhancements. And yeah, the DLC is insulting.

3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Denuvo is confirmed??? Damn...

SEGA really are dead set on ruining a perfect thing, aren't they? Hopefully it gets cracked early on or they end up removing it at some point before release.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. So I live in hillbilly redneck Texas, and I work at this ghetto-ass travel stop right now. A friend I know from the local flea market (world's largest actually, go figure) unexpectedly showed up today and I was telling him about Sonic Origins.

Well, out of absolutely nowhere, a 40-something guy standing in line with a big cowboy hat and an even bigger belt buckle suddenly chimed in and told me that he saw the trailer today too and how excited he was for the game's release.

Sometimes as Sonic fans, I think we forget to realize just how massive and far-reaching of a franchise Sonic really is. Sonic is truly for everyone, and Sonic Origins will be helping to bridge the generational gap and further unite the community as we look forward for the things to come.

Man- I'm excited for the future of our blue boi rn

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I saw "bradyhartel" in the link and immediately got hyped. What a great team to have working on this. It's a shame the masters are seemingly lost, but AI upscaling, rotoscoping, and redrawing? That's awesome. Can't wait to see it in motion.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, this place really is a bubble. I mean, everywhere is.

Kind of reminds me of when Nintendo announced Mario 3D All-Stars and gamers were pretty unanimously negative on the collection due to how little work seemed to go into remastering the games as well as Nintendo’s utterly inane strategy of only making it available up until the end of March. Still sold massively. Why wouldn’t it? To the general public, it was a great way to play touched up versions of three incredibly popular games. I loved it even if I recognized it as a cash grab.

Caveat that Sonic Origins seems to be a much better product overall with the amount of work done on the games as well as extra features, but fundamentally there’s a huge audience for this game that would’ve forked money over for it if it just had Sonic 1 and 2 on a basic-ass black-and-white menu. Glad, obviously, that they’re going much further than that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Oh thank god. I was really worried, sorry for the misconception on my end.

8. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Looking like a pretty decent collection. I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend $40 on it, though. I admit that it's tempting, but even with the niceties it doesn't feel like it has quite enough that I value. I wonder what the additional unlockable/additional contents and zones are. Hidden Palace is cute but just a single act, and a potential boss rush isn't appealing to me.

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

This isn’t in response to anyone in particular but given today’s news I think it’s time that we as a fanbase stop baselessly speculating on why there isn’t a Mania 2. A few weeks ago folks here were adamant that Stealth and Taxman weren’t involved with Origins because they’re also working on other projects or because of some hearsay they heard on a discord server... and well they are both involved with Origins (although it appears Taxman contributed MUCH less than Stealth). Guys, we don’t know the inner workings of Sega, Headcannon or Evening Star... actually there are some folks in these parts who DO KNOW the inner workings of these companies... but they ain’t gonna say anything cuz they’ll loose their jobs if they violate NDA. Sega has disappointed us before and they’ll probably disappoint us again but I’m tired of folks thinking that this reality gives them the knowledge to proclaim what will or won’t happen when they have no actual info.

10. I had to check it by myself and yup:
    [​IMG]

11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Nope, sorry. That's from boss rush mode (note the lack of score). We don't know if coins can be turned on or off yet in Anniversary mode.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. _Sidle

_Sidle

I wouldn't be so sure. Skimming the trailer, website, and Famitsu article, the only shots I see that both have lives and widescreen, also don't have score and are fighting bosses... guessing that's Boss Rush mode?
    Also, the "Tails in Emerald Hill" Famitsu shot is clearly the start of of the battle as Eggman flies in from the right, it would be from the left if mirrored. (EDIT: Ninja'd)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Thank you guys for clearing up that mirror mode thing-

Currently, no lives appears to be mandatory for widescreen. Honestly, I dunno why this is such a big deal to so many people. Like, I actually wanna know how many of you in this thread are still getting game overs in the rising water section of chemical plant. I don't need a lives system to have a good time with Sonic. I literally cannot comprehend how this is a deal breaker for people.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    It's not that it's a necessary difficulty option for the average user of this site, it's just that it's mandatory that irks most people.
    I don't care if someone wants to turn off lives, that's a them thing, but if the game being easier is being forced upon me, that's when I have a problem.
    The reason I want lives is because it's always super satisfying to hear the extra life sound, and the coin icon in the bottom left just looks awful compared to the character portraits.
    Not a deal breaker though, just annoying and stupid that this is a mandatory thing you can't disable.

15. Oh, whoops. I missed that little detail.
    I just think it looks weird. Not the worst thing in the world, I can tolerate and get used to that. But I still hope the coin thing will be optional tho'.

16. _Sidle

_Sidle

I adore the idea of having Classic Mode being the original lives system (keeping the og rules intact), and Anniversary Mode being the infinite lives + Coins system (Very good for getting people new to Sonic into Sonic).
    I think the idea of including a mode that replicates the original screen viewport visibility is neat. (Retro Engine automatically did this if you installed CD/1/2 on stuff like tablets with smaller resolutions!)

Going "Ah, you want the original lives system? Therefore, you MUST want the original aspect ratio!" seems odd. I'd really wish that were a simple toggle.

Maybe the coins will make a nice sound and not stop the music to play the extra life jingle, and I'll prefer it. Maybe seeing the coin counter in the hundreds every time I boot up a new save will irk me. Who knows~!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. JigenD

JigenD

In terms of visuals, do we know anything more specific about Origins? I'm talking about things like:
    • CRT shaders (like in Mania)
    • Sharpening filters
    • Smooth sprite rotation
    • Transparency effects
    • "Maniafied" extra sprites for characters, for extra smoothness
    Knowing this is retro engine means these things (and much more) are possible, so I'm asking: Has anyone seen screenshots or relevant tweets (or any other information) that hints at visual improvements other than widescreen?

18. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I haven't seen this posted anywhere so here's a screenshot of a mission in S3K:
    [​IMG]
    Looks like the missions will have a unique HUD and even unique layouts. This one appears to be a gliding challenge.

19. _Sidle

_Sidle

CRT Shaders/Sharpening filters...
    Unsure, some images are fuzzier than others?? That could just be how the footage was captured tho.​

Sprite rotation...
    Appears to be using 45 degree angle loop rotations for players + smooth rotations for MMZ boss shield. GHZ boss ball uses smooth rotations, but that might be sprites? All identical to Retro Engine versions.​

Transparency...
    MMZ boss arena barriers and time travel sparks are transparent identical to Retro Engine versions, and Super Tails afterimages are transparent ala Mania.​

Extra sprites for characters...
    Sonic starts a dropdash in the trailer, but otherwise nothing outstandingly different. Sprites use the same frames as the originals/their Retro Engine versions.​

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List