don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    They shot down the boss rush modes originally included for S1 and S2 as well mind you. Of the extra stuff added, only HPZ remained.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Because it makes Classic Sonic even cuter, believably spaces out 20 years of adventures and can be a cute way to reconcile the two designs (eye colour changes aside).

Anyway, on the never before seen content and thinking about stuff like Wood Zone, I hope we get mock-ups for every cut level from the holy trinity and CD using the materials that were completed for them. R2 is one I really want to see in particular.

3. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Making simple 3D models for a menu is trivial compared to making hundreds of individual sprites, let alone implementing and testing another character and making necessary level design changes to support them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Would like to chime in also that I doubt the same people working on those dioramas were the same people working on the remakes too. It also wouldn't surprise me if on top of remaking Sonic 3 & K onto the retro engine, that the old remakes were also ported onto the new version of the retro engine as well, with all the QA and resulting bug fixes that would take.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hundreds is an exaggeration, Sonic 3's sprite sets cover most basic actions in Sonic 1 and 2 and CD. The only new sprites would be the special stage, the twirl spring animation, and a couple specific object instances.

And Manias sprites cover even more actions. Shame they're not an option to use in all 4 games.

6. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I hope they keep the hyper forms in S3&K. I’m still keeping my hopes up for Knuckles in Sonic CD but I don’t know about that one. I mean I already play Knuckles on Sonic CD on the steam version but it’ll be nice to just load it up on my PS5 and play on my 65 inch tv, but if not it’s no biggie I guess.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Actually, according to Sonic Jam, Classic Sonic is... older than Modern Sonic (16 vs 15) ;)

8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    @stescoedw Pretty sure Hyper Sonic already popped up in the trailer.

upload_2022-4-20_20-58-20.png

Yup, there he is.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    They weren't. RSDKv5U is a version of RSDKv5 (Sonic Mania) that is backwards compatible with v4 (S1/S2) and v3 (CD). Those games are going to be more or less exactly the same as the versions we already have, excepting the additions they did.

Also, it is worth noting that Denuvo did basically nothing to impede Sonic Mania modding whatsoever. People were able to replace the RSDK file just fine, and I was able to make the mod loader hook into the game's code without issue.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/1516784160211230723?t=9gIu9Xnwe1oMW78AyMtzRw&s=19

This may be the only info we have on that so far, although I'm not entirely sure what Taxman is implying here. It's not explicitly clear if all games will be running on V5.

Edit: Ninja'd by more informative post

11. Pengi

Pengi

The Japanese version of Sonic Jam says Sonic is "15-16".

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    That's a big relief, actually. Then my hopes are CD Steam/Decompilation mods hit the scene pretty quickly. If true, you could see Playable Knuckles in CD within weeks, and some of the Restored features too (better time Travel+ Knux are the 2 main benefits... though personally I want Super forms combined with those more than anything.)

13. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    So, a friend posted APlusStart’s announcement about his involvement in the S3&K remaster, and I actually read it this time.

He says he’s the lead artist. Now, why would a Sonic 3 & Knuckles remaster need a lead artist. All the assets are already done, no? Now, I expect they’ll be adding new Super Sonic sprites for animations which just recoloured regular Sonic’s sprites, but also up for consideration:
    upload_2022-4-20_21-8-24.png

Now, it’s not a dead cert, but I think there’s going to be more this package even than we’ve seen today, and this is an example of the form that could take.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Yo can Amy be playable already? Its kind of fucked to advertise her as one of the main heroes and then her only appearance is being kidnapped in one game in the collection.

15. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I don't know if you've seen it but the deluxe edition for the 30th anniversary comic has an interview with Ian Flynn where he states he intended Sonic and his friends to be mute in the comic as well. So I think mute classic Sonic is here to stay

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. RikohZX

RikohZX

Could also have something to do with the widescreen by making sure someone can modify certain assets and sequences to not look funky.

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Steam Curator reviews HEAVILY imply there is brand new content in the game. Check it out:

[​IMG]

This may also just mean Hidden Palace from the S2 remake, but you never know!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  18. nesboy43

nesboy43

I will buy this the second they make a physical version. Maybe it just isnt announced yet?

Have they denied a physical version existing?

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Oh right, for some reason I was thinking of them redoing Knuckles’s sprites to fit in with the Sonic CD art style, but thinking about it again that would be really unlikely even if they did make him playable. Ok then, tens of sprites :p

20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yes.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List