don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    They'll definitely go the mute route which is fine by me. I prefer that style and I don't think excessive spoken dialogue really adds anything to the classic stories. Sonic is a character who says way more with his actions than his words imho.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly I have 0 objections to Classic Sonic speaking and being voiced by Roger in this if that’s the route they go. Hell, it’d be super interesting to see how he adapts his voice to portray a younger Sonic.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Flare

Flare

Loving the islands. Love that S2 looks like the island on the title screen and S1'is is...

[​IMG]

Oh my... they really have gone quite close to the 8bit island... I was thinking what this entrance was... the 8bit island has it too haha.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I do really wish they’d thrown in a few nods to Bridge Zone, Jungle Zone and Sky Base Zone…

5. Yuzu

Yuzu

That would be really cool and I would honestly love it.

Silent is fine too though! Depending on how they want to approach this.

6. MastaSys

MastaSys

I mean, there's a bridge and a forest around the same place as the 8bit version. :V

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Anyone else catch the Mania styled Super Tails 43 seconds in? Could mean his original flicky version is now Hyper Tails.

8. Yuzu

Yuzu

Calling it a forest when it's a tree or two is a stretch, but hey, I'm glad they technically acknowledged Jungle Zone :V

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

I would def prefer Jaleel but I’d be down with Roger as long as he makes an effort for Classic Sonic to sound younger

10. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    Wow, this looks cool. I'll admit, I didn't have particularly high hopes for Origins given the relative silence and that many of those involved in the mobile remasters are off doing their own thing. But I'm glad Stealth is back and he's brought in some more of the community to help realise the long-awaited Sonic 3 remake dream. Very excited for this to release.

One immediate downer is that SKU table on the Origins website. I thought it lamentable that the game was being split up, but boy, does that split seem completely unnecessary. I'll be buying the premium up-sell version, don't get me wrong, but why am I paying $10-or-regional-equivalent for things like "Character Animation In Main Menu", exactly? I mean, I guess its nice all the videos and missions and what-not are mandatory included and not DLC, but... Are we really selling "slightly better-looking" menus as a value-add? What a bizarre thing.

11. MastaSys

MastaSys

Great, now i have an headcanon that the forest in the background of Spring Yard Zone is Jungle Zone because of this.

Two pathways to reach the Labyrinth.
    Bridge -> Jungle
    Marbel -> Spring Yard

12. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    classic sonic isn’t explicitly younger than modern sonic by years, they’re in the same vague age (outside of being shorter, which is purely a cartoon abstraction), so that’s curious that people think this way

13. Now I'm dreaming about 8 bit stages in sonic 1, even as a one act a piece, and using it internally as justification on why they went $40/$45 on pricing
    That there is a dangerous thought. No optimism allowed

14. Yuzu

Yuzu

Sadly, that's really how Sega/Atlus releases most of their games these days, there needs to be a Digital Deluxe edition regardless of how ridiculous it is. Honestly, this could be a lot worse considering that Lost Judgment outright cut out side content and a whole combat style from the game to sell them in the deluxe edition.

We also don't have a three day early launch for the deluxe edition, which is surprising considering that's the main reason for most people purchasing it in most of the newer Sega releases.

15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I always just find it a little amusing whenever people make comments like "who needs Sonic Origins, I have the decompiled ports of 1 and 2 and Sonic 3 AIR on my Switch" and it's like... bruh, this is not for you lol, there will always be a mass market willing to gobble up official and enhanced releases of these games. Even in gamer enthusiast circles I remember seeing a bunch of comments from people confused when the Switch version of Sonic 1 was announced, and not getting why anyone was asking for "the Taxman version."

If they got the MJ music back for Sonic 3 that's probably where a good chunk of that MSRP is going.

16. Snowbound

Snowbound

Good point. The reason I have this view is due to Roger Craig Smith’s Sonic sounds older to me than Ryan Drummond’s and Jason Griffin’s Sonic. To me it feels like Sonic has aged. In Japan Sonic has had the same voice actor since Adventure so this def isn’t an intended part of the Sonic canon. Additionally, when I first played Generations in 2011 I was under the impression that classic sonic was modern sonic from the past

17. MastaSys

MastaSys

It's not surprising, that's what Generations implied with the time travel story before Izuka shat on it with Forces

18. SEGACast

SEGACast

It would be nice if they could include Wood Zone in this remaster. I thought the level art was really nice and would've been fun to play if it had been finished.

Wood Zone and Hidden Palace Zone were the only scrapped stages from the original game that survived getting completely wiped from the code, and considering how Hidden Palace Zone was made playable later on in the mobile port of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I think it's reasonable to ask for the same to be done for this as well.

With the many ports that have been made of the game, it's kind of odd how they seemingly haven't considered doing so. I think finally implementing one of the levels that they originally wanted to implement almost 22 years ago but couldn't due to time constraints would make this 31th anniversary celebration really special.

This may be their best opportunity to do so, so I'm really hoping that they consider it even though the trailer doesn't appear to show that being the case. More content could be added as a DLC later on though (which unfortunately wasn't possible back then!) so there's also that to keep in mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. This. DLC zones would be amazing to throw in as actual substantial DLC. Imagine merging together, let's say 8-bit Green Hill Zone 1, 2, and 3, and adding it into Anniversary Mode as Green Hill Zone Act 0, played before the original first Zone. Sonic 1 alone would wind up expanded like:

Green Hill Zone: Act 0
    Green Hill Zone
    Bridge Zone
    Marble Zone
    Jungle Zone
    Spring Yard Zone
    Labyrinth Zone: Act 0
    Labyrinth Zone
    Star Light Zone
    Scrap Brain Zone
    Final Zone
    Scrap Brain Zone: Act 4
    Sky Base Zone

(I'm probably forgetting something, but I haven't played 8-bit Sonic 1 in ages. Mainly the PC fan-remake, but that adds extra content)

I figure transitioning from Final Zone to a merged 8-bit Scrap Brain would make sense as an extended chase sequence, chasing down Robotnik until he escapes into Sky Base Zone, so you could keep the original 8-bit game's transition. Everything else would work as an Act 0.

It would be a sneaky way to remaster the 8-bit games in a "16-bit" engine. Use 8-bit Sonic 1 as a DLC expansion for Sonic 1, 8-bit Sonic 2 as a DLC expansion for Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos for Sonic CD, and Triple Trouble as an expansion for Sonic 3&K. They're really short levels in themselves and simplistic-designed bosses, so it doesn't seem like an excessive amount of work for a DLC expansion. And making it DLC that can be toggled on and off would help please Sega as far as keeping to the original content, since they originally shot down added content for CD.

Yeah, major pipe dream, but maybe someday it would work as a possible mod, at the very least.

20. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Dissapointed in the no Knuckles in CD, seems like an easy, no-brainer inclusion imo. Considering the work being put into the 3D menus, I'm not sure why they couldn't have done up the missing sprite work needed.

Pipedream for this would've been an unlockable playable Amy with her advance moveset and official mod support. Being able to browse and download levels/characters/skins off steam workshop would've been amazing.