don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    • Informative Informative x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Neat.

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    We live in a society where a Sonic compilation is receiving more care, effort, and love than 3D Mario and GTA compilations

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • List
  4. Snowbound

Snowbound

Wasn’t the level art for the scrapped Genocide City reused in Sonic Spinball? Maybe those sprites are gonna be used in some of the challenges/missions. Tbc I am NOT saying that it’s be a FULL new level. Just a new locale for some short missions.

They’ll prob go with the mute classic sonic they’ve been using since Generations... but if Sonic talks it would make my YEAR if they got Jaleel White to voice him.

EDIT:
    This makes me optimistic that classic Sonic will be allowed to speak since Flynn was allowed to give Classic Sonic dialogue in the Sonic Mega Drive and 30th Anniversary comics... it’s a different medium but still this makes me hopeful...

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Does he? All we can really infer from this is that he knew about the specifics. I don’t really see what he could possibly doing on this, given what we know is in the collection. I think this is more so just an indication that Ian is more embedded into the inner Sonic circle than he was a few years ago and as such would know the details on stuff like this.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Read the link in the tweet

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This appears to be a screenshot of the Boss Rush mode. The HUD is based off Sonic 1's which seems to be the default for all extra modes and there's no score since why bother having one for a boss rush.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Oh well now I look like a bit of a twazzock, don’t I?

9. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    So this basically gives us everything I expected: playable Tails and Knuckles, drop dash, and some extra features. The fact that it's developed using the latest RSDK is very comforting, at least we know the games will not play like hot garbage. Story mode is sick, all the new cutscenes are sick, mission mode and mirror mode are sick. The Island Camera looks pretty cool too, if only a niche thing that will entertain you for a few minutes at the most.

That being said, every time we have to breathe a collective sigh of relief at a confirmation of "oh nice, these ports will actually play like the games they're a port of", I am reminded of how comically and dramatically low the bar is. The DLC is disappointing too, but mostly because it's literally minute features, most of it is not even game content. These games in this collection are not worth this much money, so it is even more frustrating to see a developer lock an interactive menu, background animations, and literal sound test music behind a paywall. When a sound test bgm becomes $5, I think consumers ought to really start sounding the alarm on this DLC trend. Again, most of it isn't even the base game (other than the few extra missions and you unlock mirror mode early, from what I can tell), but minor cosmetic and UI features that REALLY should be included when you are asking $40 for this game to begin with.

I also don't think we should be sold on the idea that this game will greenlight Mania 2, and thus everyone should buy it 27 times. The "vote with your wallet" idea only applies when a company has shown that sales and critical reception actually influence what their priorities should be. SEGA understood how successful Mania was and they chose to go in a different direction, they have had plenty of evidence that consumers will buy new classic sonic content and critics will praise it. Consumers are not the issue, the issue is they do not want to make the game (or contracts fell through, or pay negotiations, etc etc etc). SEGA showed that they are receptive enough to sales when they made a Mania physical release and Mania Adventures. But that seems to be as far as they were willing to go, and I think it's a little misguided to try and convince people to buy this game as if that is going to sell SEGA on classic Sonic. Please support whatever you like and put your money wherever you like, but don't think for a second that the issue is SEGA hasn't seen enough dollar signs to jump on the classic Sonic train.

Anyway, all that being said, I personally think this is a solid buy. I'm not happy with how much I'll have to pay for it, but any kind of classic Sonic content is something I really need to have lol. I love these games, and I will take any opportunity to replay them with extra content, since it does get a little stale playing the same game over and over and over again. I'm also very happy with the presentation we've seen so far. The various backgrounds from different games, the island camera, the cutscenes... they all are looking like very tasteful additions to these games, and I'm happy this isn't just "Sonic 1 but hey there's a new menu and also you can spindash now".

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  10. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Introduce skill points: multibounce bonus, that sort of thing, to let people fight over the high score.

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'd buy them for modding potential and the bonus content value rather than "omg make mania 2", really. I never settled well with the decompilations since they're rather finicky, and everyone trying to make their own "but this is the best Sonic 1 now" made it confusing to pick anything. Denuvo will prevent any script edits for a long while unfortunately, but when it comes down to it this is what I've been wanting for nine years and then some.

Kinda wish there was a discount for Sonic CD owners, though, since for all we know currently, I'd literally be owning the same game a second time over unless this port brings even more enhancements beyond the Coins.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Linkabel

Linkabel

I wonder how the special stages/Chaos Emeralds/time stones are going to work in story mode.

Would certain cutscenes be locked if you don't get them? Say not getting the Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 3 part, so that means not getting a cutscene with the Super Emeralds in the S&K section?

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    3D Island and CD Animations from the official SEGA JP Youtube

South Island

Little Planet

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Linkabel

Linkabel

They did such a great job on the Little Planet diorama.

15. Cyberlink420

Cyberlink420

Michigan
    Sonic F (Sonic Paradox)
    Here's the animations for West Side Island and Angel Island.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    What’s interesting is we’ve also seen Angel Island floating above the ocean as well, which is cool attention to detail, but I’m wondering what triggers it. Maybe if your current save file has beaten the game and/or collected all the emeralds?

17. WOW, these islands seem so full of life. I almost want these as a desktop background...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Yuzu

Yuzu

Wow, they look fantastic!

Hoping someone ports these to Wallpaper Engine so I can use them as my desktop background!

Also thinking that these dioramas would be perfect as PS4 themes too.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Those dioramas are adorable

20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    To be fair, that's a bar that not even other major series have managed to cross as of late. So I guess....it's a relief that it's not just a Sonic thing? lol

well again, for one it should actually work the instant you boot up now :V