don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
  2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, I'm almost positive that's something that happened later, which would probably also explain why there was such a gap in terms of getting any new information on the game.

As often as Sega shoots from the hip by releasing buggy, unfinished Sonic games, I feel like even they're aware that releasing the Genesis series as botched ports would look awful (and yes, before anyone says it, I'm aware of Sonic 1 Genesis GBA, but that always felt like more of a throwaway product in the first place). I could see them having issues recreating the Genesis engine before deciding to just hire the guys who already did most of the work already to begin with (along with some preliminary work on S3K with the pitch).

3. karlafalves

karlafalves

Gaia Gate Guard Member
    Brazil
    Well, I'll definitely buy it... When it goes on sale. (Not) Sorry, but $45 for the complete package it's way too expensive for remastered versions of 30-years-old games, even with all the welcome additions; this was the price for MK11 Ultimate here in Brazil when it was released on Steam. And this price announcement is just a few days after SEGA raised the prices for all its games, not only Sonic's, in almost 170% on Steam #bummer

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The premium stuff is dumb.

I'm still forking over $45 for it. I need this to succeed.

5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The only other concession that I'll give is that if they do pull the Denuvo crap again, consider spending your money on a console version at first and only buy the PC version(s) in a fire sale later when it's removed. That's what I did with Mania.

But beyond that, again, I ask us to be as reasonable/mature about supporting this as the... ahem... 2022 internet can be expected to be.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'll def end up double dipping, the Switch for on the go and PC for mods, but I'll probably get the Switch version 1st

7. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    It's slightly worse in the UK. £35 for the standard, and £40 for the digital deluxe. That's $45 and $50 respectively (so another +$5 on top of the US prices basically). It's just a very hard pill to swallow. Do I want to buy it and play it? For sure. At that cost though...? I might change my mind and still buy it, but I'm not really a fan of how uncomfortable the Switch Lite is to hold, and no PSVita version means I can't play on the best handheld console ever haha

8. karlafalves

karlafalves

Gaia Gate Guard Member
    Brazil
    The game's page on Steam says it will have Denuvo.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • List
  9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
  10. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    The price model is fine and makes a lot of sense from every angle I pit it against mentally. Try to think outside our box on this.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk I honestly think they didn't show anything until now because honestly... what's to show. Don't get me wrong, this looks like a fantastic package, but it's a compilation. How would they slow burn this over a year and a half? Probably why the reveal just used footage from whatever, the game was still in development but at the end of the day it's the Genesis games again, you know 80% of the content from the get go.

12. This is ultimately still a Sega product at the end of the day, so most profits will go to them. Headcanon seem like contractors that they simply have on hand, but that's no guarantee of a Mania 2.

If other people want to purchase this with the belief that it will eventually lead to a Mania 2, be my guest. I'm not spending money for a collection of games I've played a million times already and can currently play right now.

Its simply not worth it, and I'm not going to invest in the chance of a Mania 2.

So....good for those who want it, but I'm pretty content right now.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Oh, I plan to. Give me a physical release and I'll buy 20.

14. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Well they didn't really need to show anything to say that Taxman and Stealth were involved from the Get Go. And if they had 16:9 S3K footage made for the game already I think we'd have seen it at the Central event in the first place.

The fact that this took a year and half to come out in the first place makes me think there was a lot of development problems things going on in the background but it all worked out.

15. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

[​IMG]

Yeah, go fuck yourself.

Buying a key on a reseller is going to be cheaper than buying through Steam lmao

16. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Please please please give us the soundtrack to Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis).

EDIT: Got my wish.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    No one can (or even should) force you to buy anything, but I want to clarify that it's not just about a literal Mania 2, which I certainly understand is not guaranteed to happen.

Even so, making titles released on this engine profitable for SEGA to invest in can lead to a lot more good content down the line. Future ports of other classic titles, other non-Sonic retro style games could be built with this engine too. Or even just helping the devs continue to get a reputation to develop other titles in the future. There are brand new new non-Mania developers in this who deserve a change to be seen as successful. This is literally supporting the people who helped build up this community in the first place, and I think we should be conscientious about supporting their chances to go pro.

And it's not just about you. Need to buy a gaming friend/family a gift down the line? Do it by the end of the year. Help the next generation play these classics.

I get it. Not everyone will or even can buy it right away (regional pricing complaints are also a valid issue, I understand), but I'm just trying to point out that there are more reasons to consider supporting this release than there normally would be, with a possible future classic title being just one possible reason.

18. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    This price for all plataforms in Brazil! WTF!

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Just catching up. I decided to go watch the Morbius movie and then the Origins trailer dropped :doge: (Morbius was actually decent). Anyway:

Beautiful trailer and I love the animations. Each game getting an animated intro & ending is all kinds of awesome. Pretty cool that we can play the original 4:3 versions (via classic mode) and in 16:9 (via anniversary mode). I guess the coins replacing the lives system in anniversary mode is...interesting enough. It's a shame you also can't have the normal lives system in anniversary mode, but....whatever. Disappointed there's no physical edition, perhaps we'll get one next year when they release "Sonic Origins Plus" with Encore mode :ssh:

Good to see all the features from the mobile ports are returning. Hopefully there will be new routes added to the new version of Sonic 3K and I'm so fucking happy for Stealth's involvement. Can't wait to see what surprises Stealth has in store for us with 3K. Maybe the short Sonic 3 multiplayer stages (Azure Lake, Balloon Park, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace & Endless Mine) will be made into full playable acts in one-player mode (which is something Stealth & Taxman were considering when they pitched the 3K remaster years ago)?!

Knuckles not being playable in CD makes no sense. I mean they've obviously modified the CD remaster to include the coins & no-lives system in anniversary mode so why can't they add Knuckles....

I hope the drop-dash has been added to all 4 games.

It is cool they are including music from Chaotix, Spinball & 3D Blast. Although they should have added those games as well (even if just as roms).

Overall it looks like a good collection. Tons of replay value. Excited for 23rd June. I've already got that week off work, so gonna play Origins to death and then some [​IMG]

I wonder what the music situation will be regarding Sonic 3? I mean, if they are only using the beta music then they will need to modify the 3K rom for the 4:3 version (unless the 4:3 version is also being rebuilt from the ground up). Perhaps the 4:3 version will have the original release music (with the MJ tracks) and the 16:9 version will have the beta music???

Today is a good day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. I am probably buying this, but I tried the whole buy to support the future thing when I bought 12 keys to Sonic mania at launch and gifted 11 of them across all of the different platforms. I'm just one person but I'm still irked we didn't get a mania sequel

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List