don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    So this all but confirms only the announced titles will be playable, which is fine by me. "Various missions" either speaks to my suggestion of a mode similar to Kirby's copy ability challenges or, much more likely, an achievement system or a setup similar to Generations 3DS' missions. But then, given we're doing these missions to unlock challenges....huh??? Maybe it's an achievement system that unlocks Generations styled missions?

New areas to explore also gives me hope that all the characters will be playable in all the games, meaning Knuckles in Sonic CD. Speaking of characters, it's interesting that the text doesn't specify any at all. Now, I think that most likely means we've just got Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, but I could see them having thrown Mighty and Ray since they were of course in Mania. Amy isn't explicitly deconfirmed, but if she was in I strongly believe they'd advertise that, so I think she's probably not playable.

New content suggests concept art and a sound test, which is all good.

Finally, they only use Sonic 3 & Knuckles rather than saying Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Not particularly surprising, but I wonder (and hope) that Sonic 3 & Knuckles, if it's not the only way to play, is presented as the default, since that's the originally envisioned experience.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    It still is the 30th anniversary title, one of them at least. After all, the 25th anniversary didn't get a game the same year.

3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    All I was expecting was a package deal with 4 classic games and nothing else. This is WAY more than I was expecting, but now just raised more questions than it answered. They better announce this real soon. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!?!

On a related note, it feels good to be excited for a Sonic game again.

4. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Sounds like they're putting some decent effort into this collection!

I'm excited to see the animated intros & ending for each game. Will be interesting to see what these missions are like and what these "special stages" will be. Would be cool if these new areas to explore aren't just the one's from the mobile remasters and are something completely new.

[​IMG]

Edit:

Leaker Zippo in his latest blog post said that a "Texas based studio" is doing animations for Origins. I believe he's referring to the same studio who did animations for Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  5. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

6. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    If they’re new developer made ones, I’d love it to see what they come up with for CD’s format. Maybe they’re even going to give us new Mania styled special stages!

7. I am cautiously hyped for Origins now - I'm just hoping they brought the right people on-board...

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Yes, you'll notice I said the anniversary didn't get a game the same year, not Sonic as a franchise. Unless you're really arguing that Fire and Ice, a 2015 game that got delayed, was the only 25th anniversary title, instead of, say, Mania, which was transparently an anniversary title..

9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I have a crackpot theory for you guys. Headcannon recently tweeted this thread regarding their status: https://twitter.com/Head_cannon/status/1516642922426294275

This was tweeted just a few hours before people discovered the PSN listing.

Later, Svend, a member of IGN and webmaster of Sonic Stadium, replied with this:
    [​IMG]

I know this is a long shot, but I think it's possible Headcannon may actually be involved with this collection.

Attached Files:

10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Wow those details about a Classic and Anniversary mode sound very enticing (although I have a feeling the only difference is going to be playing the games in 4:3 with limited lives or 16:9 with unlimited lives but I’d love to be wrong)

The missions and museum have officially caught my interest and I can’t wait to see more.

Opening and ending animations for each game?? Now that is very interesting.. looking like they are trying to tie all the games together like a huge movie or something.. I’m totally down with that (if that’s indeed what they’re going for)

This is looking to be more like Sonic Jam and I am all for it!! Official non-leaked details can’t come soon enough!!

Your move SEGA!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  11. shilz

shilz

Feels like a little "too much" information on someone's part if this is exactly what it looks like. The "random" drop of that thread on Twitter was already fairly suspicious given the recent rumblings (with a reasonable doubt it could be nothing) without lines like these being connected.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Are you suggesting the leak is intentional from an insider? Despite the fact we know these things are coming from sources such as rating boards and digital store fronts? SEGA wouldn’t do a fabricated leak for a game when they can just announce the game, and someone working on the project wouldn’t endanger their working reputation by going rogue and leaking it, if that’s the assertion you’re making.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So no lives huh? I wonder what if any rewards you'll be granted for 100 rings or 1up monitors. And something tells me "new animations" means updated sprites. Maybe they added more frames for like Super Sonic or updated the kind of off looking Sonic 3 sprites that still looked like Sonic 2 holdovers.

14. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    To add to this - apparently they also posted on the Sonic Stadium thread I originally linked, saying:
    The two posts together definitely sound like Headcannon may be involved, assuming this person's information is accurate. Colour me incredibly excited if so! = D

15. Huh, this actually sounds interesting. Might check it out.

16. shilz

shilz

People allegedly on the project seem to be doing fine enough just going about their business while letting their followers know what's up for their future without, and beyond, the alleged project coming up, and I don't think anybody reasonable should hold anything against them. But it's others I'm afraid for.

But maybe it is I who should shut up if that's how that's going to be interpreted, because that would make me just as guilty of the same thing.

17. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    If Stealth/Headcannon does turn out to be involved, not only will it be a huge win, but it also gives me a glimmer of hope that he was able to implement some of the major QOL improvements for 3&K that he and Christian originally pitched with their POC. Fingers crossed!!

18. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    I would note though that some of the issues of the original Retro Engine versions were fixed in the SEGA Forever version, and vice versa where the new update added issues. Like the Mecha Sonic fight, the arena was made smaller in the SEGA Forever version to match the original. Some things like Aquatic Ruin's boss is still not right though. There were a few other bits and bobs as well, I do hope that if it *is* based on the mobile ports, these tiny changes get fixed.

That being said though.... I don't understand how one can say it "ruins the games". It's certainly not as bad as Sonic GBA, and saying it's worse in every way is extreme hyperbole that doesn't actually help a discussion about what changes would need to be made to improve them. The game plays perfectly fine, with only a few minor issues that don't detract that much from the full experience. It's definitely not perfect, but definitely doesn't harm the playthrough so much that I would hate it.

-

Also yeah, seems interesting. I don't personally think Headcannon is involved, it makes no sense to tweet out, potentially risking your involvement on future projects for leaking something. I would love for *anyone* who worked on Mania to be working on Origins, but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    If they make the short Sonic 3 multiplayer stages into full playable acts in one-player mode (which is one of the things Stealth & Taxman were considering) that would be so cool.

Also, for anyone doubting the validity of the Sonic Origins info here's a link the Australia PS store:
    https://store.playstation.com/en-au/concept/10003797

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like how they're finally treating S3K as one game as opposed to them being 2 separate entities