don't click here

Multimedia Sega Franchises

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Deathscythe, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Hi. I'm trying to make a list of Sega IP's that trancended to more than just gaming. So far I have:

- Bayonetta (1 Movie)
    - Football Manager (1 Documentary)
    - Last Bronx (1 Movie)
    - Golden Axe (1 Comic)
    - House of the Dead (2 Movies)
    - Panzer Dragoon (1 OVA)
    - Sakura Wars (2 TV shows, 1 Manga, 1 Movie, 3 Stage Productions)
    - Shenmue (1 TV Show)
    - Sonic the Hedgehog (7 TV Shows, 2 Comic Series, 3 Movies, 1 OVA)
    - Valkyria Chronicles (1 TV Show, 3 Manga Series)
    - Virtua Fighter (1 TV Show)
    - Yakuza (1 TV Show, 1 Movie)

Anything I'm missing?

2. Phantasy Star 2 has an anime adaptation. Apparently there are/were also adaptations of Streets of Rage and Altered Beast in the works as of 2016, with SoR planned to get both a series and a movie.

3. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Ooh I didn't know about Phantasy Star. Are those movies still in productions?

I guess Persona may have some extra content, which would technically qualify now.

4. I can't say for certain, but given how much time has passed since being announced I assume that none of them actually are. There was also a live-action Shinobi film and Golden Axe series announced by the same studio, Stories International, in 2014. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I have zero faith in said studio releasing any of these projects.

Fleetway inserted several Streets of Rages comic strips in Sonic the Comic, which were later collected in a book titled Streets of Rage: Bad City Fighters. Archie published a three-part Nights into Dreams miniseries in 1998 too.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    That list will balloon quite a lot with many examples I'm sure I don't know of lol.

As a quick one that I do know, Yakuza has had manga adaptations. The two PSP titles both received that, I think. Yakuza also had a digital comic run that recapped the series leading up to Yakuza 6. There might be more but those are the ones I remember. There's another Yakuza movie announced in addition to a Lost Judgment TV series, but who knows how either of those are going at the moment.

Sonic has had more than two comic series, even within just Archie there was mainline Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Boom, Sonic X, etc., but beyond Archie and IDW there was also Fleetway's run, not to mention the various Sonic manga from throughout the years.

You could count Shenmue The Movie, even though it's just a compilation of game scenes. That ruling go either way and both interpretations are probably valid lol.

Then there's weird, fringe stuff too. Like I don't know if you'd count "cameo in the Sonic / Mega Man crossover book" as a jump to a different media format, but just in case:
    [​IMG]

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You know the Sega Retro wiki exists, right?

7. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

...Whoops?

Though a quick google search leads to this: https://segaretro.org/Sega_Multimedia_Studio which isn't what I'm looking for.

8. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    More to what they're getting at, most game / franchises have a template at the bottom that will guide you around to everything that exists. Links in red don't have pages yet, but it will help you track what exists at least.

As an example, I forgot that there were this many things for Yakuza, goodness.
    [​IMG]

9. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Ah I see. Well time to put in every Sega IP in the search engine!

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  11. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Well that helps. Thanks!

12. Looks like a Streets of Rage movie is actually happening! Not from that same studio where all projects turned to vapor thankfully.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

So...a remake of Streets of Fire?

14. That's pretty awesome!

NiGHTS had that Archie mini-series. Shining has had a couple of anime series. PSO2 had an anime. Not exactly what you're looking for, but Virtual-On has a DVD of a tournament Sega held. Sega Hard Girls is a multimedia franchise that ended up having the cross-over game with Neptunia, so I guess it's an example of the opposite. Shinobi had https://segaretro.org/Shinobi:_The_Fear_Pavilion as well as https://segaretro.org/Shinobi:_The_Rise_of_Hotsuma

If you wanted to include Atlus, pretty much all of their franchises have had manga and anime adaptations.

I think that's pretty much everything.

Edit: This is a better way to search - https://segaretro.org/Category:Comics and https://segaretro.org/Category:Anime

So there are other franchises like 7th Dragon, Border Break, and Chain Chronicle that got manga series, while Mushiking, Dinosaur King, Go Go Go 575, and a few others got anime releases.

It looks like everything mildly successful in Japan was supported with something at the very least.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Toothpick

Toothpick

NiGHTS into Dreams had a comic series by Archie. I don't blame anyone for repressing any memory of that.