don't click here

Hidden Palace prototype releases

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by drx, May 3, 2016.

1. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher

Hello everyone! Hopefully we didn’t make you wait too long this time around.

Continuing with our efforts with Project Deluge, today we present over 370 PlayStation 1 prototypes, 80 Sega Saturn prototypes, and 20 prototypes for the Philips CD-i! From unreleased games to early builds, this part of the lot provides the most varied amount of exciting content so far!

As a recap, Project Deluge is an ongoing project to archive and assess all of the items featured in a lot of video game development material that has been gathered over the course of many years. This has been made possible through the dedication of only one extremely kind individual, who has taken on the herculean task of dumping every single thing in the lot by themselves. Each item in the lot was assessed by a team of dedicated individuals for playability and integrity on both software (via emulation) and hardware when necessary. Each item was then lightly documented and given a general overview of some of the main interesting facts about the item in question.

As always, we would like to thank all the members of the Project Deluge team for helping us with this project so far. Without your help, it would’ve taken eons for anything to come about. We’d like to thank Jason Scott from the Internet Archive for giving us an opportunity to go through this journey and for providing the hosting for this ongoing project, and Iniche for working with the owner of all of these wonderful builds to make it all happen. Special thanks to Master Emerald for once again creating beautiful art for us to help make each of our releases something special (especially on short notice!). We’d like to thank drx and ehw for writing the scripts and helping get the project initially off the ground, and Sazpaimon for taking everything much further by expanding the capabilities of the script, running some of the builds on hardware, the streams, and so much more. And last but certainly not least, we’d like to thank all of our researchers (Zoda-Y13, GopherGirl, Xkeeper (TCRF), Rusty (TCRF), Shoemanbundy, Hwd45, SolidSnake11, DigitalWarrior, Nex, and Drac for taking the time to help us go through every single build in this lot so far.

This project is far from over and has only just begun! Stay tuned in the next couple of months for more!

Until next time!

2. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  3. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher

We decided to take a small break from Project Deluge and show you something different. Introducing five various prototypes from the PS1 Crash Bandicoot series! This release was put together by the Crash Landing team, which consists of Hwd45, psx-collector, GDias, Niko, madmarsrocks, superg, Iniche and an anonymous donor. These don't originate from the Project Deluge and are separate releases entirely.

Each prototype was dumped using a Plextor PX-W5224TA using both DiscImageCreator and CloneCD to ensure that these can be DAT'd into Redump. A few of the prototypes utilized memory card dongle protection. For these games superg was able to utilize memory card files that originated from previous builds. Niko also created an xdelta patch for Crash Team Racing to by pass the need if even utilizing a special memory card file.

We're still working on Project Deluge at the moment, but these as well as the previous Project Deluge release should tide you over for a little while. Stay tuned for more goodies in the not so distant future!

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That early Crash 3 build is fascinating - a game I know very well, I mights have to spend some time with this one.

5. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
  6. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher

Hello everyone! We have something very special to share with you today. Presenting, Working Designs’ (Lunar, Popful Mail, Alundra) long lost canceled English localization of Konami’s Bouken Jidai Katsugeki Goemon (冒険時代活劇ゴエモン), also known as Mystical Ninja Goemon Zero (or Mystical Ninja Goemon during development) for the Sony PlayStation 2! This game has A LOT of history behind it, and considering its localization was in development by Working Designs, there’s quite a story to tell.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This was in development for 3 years before being canceled in 2005 when the game failed the certification process at Sony for unknown reasons despite being almost finished. The cancellation was enough to bankrupt Working Designs, with the studio announcing its closure in December. The development of this version of the game is relatively unknown given that it didn't receive a lot of press. Only a few magazines and some industry people got to see the English version of the game. Because of this, prototypes of the game would be extremely hard to find. A few months ago, we were able to obtain not one, but TWO prototypes. The latest build is perhaps the very last build shortly before WD's closure. The prototype even came with a cover insert that was kindly restored by our good friends Frank Cifaldi and Hubz from VGHF!

As fans of Goemon and Working Designs, we hope everyone can enjoy this very important artifact from video game history. We hope wherever Goemon is that his next adventure is not far off. Until next time everyone, Ganbare!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (Photos by Sazpaimon)​

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    No one wrote about it here, so I'll do it myself.
    https://hiddenpalace.org/Mortal_Kombat_3_(Mega_Drive_prototype)
    On February 10, the MK3 SMD prototype was dumped, which has some changes, and .... the graveyard theme music, which was not included in the final release! Mortal_Kombat_3_(Mega_Drive_prototype)_02.png Mortal_Kombat_3_(Mega_Drive_prototype)_06.png
    Also, it had problem with DAC samples in soundtest, so, be carefully!
    Graveyard music:

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Really neat to hear the music for it!

EDIT: Could have sworn SNES had the graveyard stage as opposed to Genesis. A quick search revealed my memory was incorrect.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Screenshoot on video- from hack. Graveyard wasn't in release snes and smd versions, but, he was in early snes version
    20210728-171349.png
    480px-MK3_EGM_72_E3_Preview.jpg
    Possibly, you have been seen this ;)
    ----------------
    If anybody can insert graveyard music from proto to umk3 hack smd- write to me :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    • List
  10. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Probably. I know I always thought the Genesis version was missing out, and was always perplexed as to how they had enough memory on the SNES version, but couldn't seem to come up with enough for the Genesis version. Well now that I know I was mistaken all these years, mystery solved!

Though that doesn't explain why MKII doesn't have Goro's Lair. That one does have me scratching my head still.

11. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    I think, it is because developers of this ports- a very lazy humans :)
    But, sometimes, in proto versions exist some content from arcade originals, like fight/finish him(her) inscriptions in MK1 prototype, or this graveyard music :) Maybe, somewhere is placed MK II prototype, with goro's lair

12. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Nice! Love this rendition!

In the final version, sound test ID 73-75 had no audio. Loading level ID 09 which was The Graveyard slot would crash to error handler screen with no music. Level ID 08 was The Temple and 0A was The Pit III. This order was also reflected with unused string Kombat Zone: The Graveyard in between Temple and Pit III in prototype and final version.

Attempting to load level 09 through changing value at 0x2599 in savestate during a match (round 1) in this prototype version crashes to black screen (no error handler, although strings are in this ROM) with The Graveyard music playing for round 2. From Select your Fighter screen, which loads the level and not a mix of both backgrounds (i.e stage fatality, Temple candles) 09 crashes to black screen, so no unused/playable reminants at this point.

In UMK3 for Sega Genesis (savestate 0x25C9), MK3 stages kept their original ID's, but slot 09 was replaced with the new Portal Stage, 0A remains Pit III, 0B-0F is various backgrounds that the game uses for Smoke's fatality, Shao Kahn blowing up. The rest of the new UMK3 backgrounds start from 10-13. The Street, The Balcony, The Bridge and Bell Tower (with stage fatality) keep their original IDs, but crash.

Too bad this build doesn't have any evidence of a hidden Portal stage to fight Robot Smoke. SNES version had that, although only accessible for that fight via Kombat Kode. (There is a string "Vortex", never used in game) The box art shows the stage with Sheeva and Stryker fighting.

It was the opposite for the UMK3 port. The SNES version was mess, look at how Pit III was duplicated as only a boss stage, replacing level ID for Soul Chamber in MK3 & kept out of regular rotation unless cheat menu code to select Kombat Zone before starting a match was used.

The Sega Genesis was a more polished upgrade with a little more content (MK3 backgrounds cycle during gameplay, better Supreme Demonstration, Shao Kahn's treasures after beating Battle Tower, minor gameplay changes) while taking into consideration memory limitations by removing Sheeva, animalities and strangly enough, the candles for the Temple background. MK3's Tournament Mode still there too, I might still have the PMs from someone who contacted me after finding my thread and managed to get it to work, doesn't seem to be covered on TCRF. I wonder if one or both versions were considered for a larger ROM size at some point, builds using larger ROM size or if the SNES version was "sabotaged" in favour of upcoming Mortal Kombat Trilogy/Nintendo 64..

Edit: Checked character IDs. Noob Saibot (id 11) loads a duplicate of Kano with normal Kano pallete and Noob-Saibot text. Final version has black pallete. No idea if fatalities were copied over, n00b Saibot crashes if the player is controlling. Mortal Kombat 3 (Mega Drive prototype)000.png Mortal Kombat 3 (Mega Drive prototype)001.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Bobblen

Bobblen

I wonder why they decided to hide the tournament mode behind a button combination in the released version rather than just have it as an option on the title screen like here? I'm assuming it's the same thing as 'endurance mode' in the released version.

14. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Hello, everybody! I had some news:
    Now, i have one question: Who can edit graphics in it? Write me, please.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Time for another old proto: Star Wars megadrive
    I find some text in ROM. It looks like this is an explanation of cut scenes from the original game....
    At 0x001F60
    Code (Text):
    1. CUT-SCENE 1
    2. LUCASFILM GAMES LOGO
    3. A LUCASFILM GAMES PRODUCTION
    4. A LONG TIME AGO...
    5. STAR WARS LOGO
    6. EPISODE IV
    7. SCROLL TO TATOOINE
    8. REBEL BLOCKADE RUNNER
    9. LUKE STANDING ON A CLIFF...
    At 0x002230
    Code (Text):
    1. CUT-SCENE 2
    2. C-3PO MASTER LUKE,
    3. R2-D2 HAS DISAPPEARED...
    If it isn't new, i'm sorry :)

15. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    [​IMG]

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Game.com Prototype)
    Discuss this release on our Discord server!

Hello everyone! Remember us? It's been a while, hasn't it? We've been fast asleep in our casket, locked away in some dank basement next to some dusty prototypes. What's that? Deluge? Never heard of it...

Today we'd like to present to you a little treat, courtesy of an anonymous donor and diskman.com. Presenting, a prototype of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night...for Tiger Game.com! BOO SCARY!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's 1st November, not 1st April!

Genuinely stunned that this exists. Well done.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I’m unsure if this is the thread to put it, but, where else could I put it?

Hidden Palace has a distinct lack of any mention of the Mega Drive’s Jurassic Park April prototype (29th April 1993). The only prototypes that it does host and has any info on are near final builds with only a few bytes difference.

There’s only a few videos of this April prototype that I can find, all by the same person on YouTube.

TCRF mentions the prototype in good detail, but again only refers to it as “prototype”, which doesn’t make it distinct from the other near final ROMs floating about.

I can’t find anywhere reputable to grab a copy of this ROM either. It seems quite elusive. I’m not sure why it’s not detailed on Hidden Palace but thought I’d highlight this.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    Hi

"Jurassic Park (USA) (Beta)" will give you better results. I would guess it was dumped before the internet could comprehend the idea of multiple prototypes existing.

• List
  19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Thanks for clarifying this Black Squirrel. It seems that I have been overlooking the fact that the prototypes are not distinctly named.

There was also a thread on a forum from someone else asking for this ROM. Eventually they found it, but didn’t share details. I assume a lot of people who wanted the ROM or details on its discovery followed the same path as I did.

I’ll do some alternative searching with the info I’m armed with and see if I can dig up any further information on how this ROM came about. Jurassic Park is a game that fascinates me, and I’d love to know more about it.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    A start:

Jurassic Park (Mega Drive) (prototype; 1993-04-29)/Comparisons

Totally not inspired by the name "DIG. DENO PISSED" in the sound test. Nope.

I haven't the patience to become an expert on Jurassic Park and expand this further, though from what I have played, the prototype is quite broken, which could be a laugh.

[​IMG]
    This was one of Sega's big hits for 1993, to the point where they constructed some physical gates for Summer CES 1993. There's probably a story to tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • List