don't click here

Sonic 2 (Movie) Spoiler/Discussion Topic (Stay away if you don't want to be spoiled)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sonic Warrior TJ, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well was Tails from a different planet than Sonic? Seems like they're from the same planet but from different places, much like Knuckles (who I'm assuming is not from Angel Island like the games, I feel like it doesn't exist in the movie lore given the Emeralds have different lore, but Knuckles is definitely from Sonic’s planet, it was implied his tribe was the one who went after baby Sonic in 1). Also, who were those 3 humanoid fellows who came through the ring before Knuckles? They're not Echidnas but they seemed to be on Knuckles side? Maybe they'll be explained more in the show?

Also, speaking of lore, the master emerald already shattered, no chaos or Tikal to be seen. They must either have a different back story or don't exist here. And that's another question I have. Knuckles restored the Master Emerald, but after the chaos emeralds scattered. So is the master emerald a separate emerald now? Or maybe the emeralds were there and I didn't notice. But either way they almost forgot it in a cooler, that emeralds gonna be gone in the 1st 15 minutes of 3 lol

It's weird giving a shit about Sonic lore lol they've not given us much reason to care since like... hell ever? But at least by having some Sonic elements already exist on Earth, it definitely paves the way for Gerald Robotnik. This stuff exists but it's hard to find, maybe Gerald found various ruins that gave cues to these extraterrestrial super powered hedgehogs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection

3. corneliab

corneliab

Watched this twice already but still want to see it again. This fucking movie... there's just so much to be happy about.

I'm already craving it to be available outside of theaters, since I'd probably see it again tonight if I wasn't wiped out from work. Fandango got my hopes up that it would be on Vudu, but it's not lol (you can only "preorder" it for an unspecified date).

Not that it matters much, but I wonder if Rotten Tomatoes' "critics consensus" blurb will get updated as the tomatometer continues to climb. It's amusing reading all this enthusiasm online for this movie only for that description to basically say "meh, it's an ok sequel I suppose".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Critics won't get the added game elements, it's not their forte. But the audience seems to love it, and that plus money is what matters in the end, and they seem fairly confident with their product to the point they announced Sonic 3 and Knuckles before Sonic 2 came out (I love how they were announced together so I can say that lol).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Watched it twice. Yea, it was still a fun time. I even laughed at the Wedding scene despite knowing it was coming. The comedic timing on that was just perfect.

Might even bump the score up to a B+, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

6. corneliab

corneliab

An under-recognized, but really cool thing they did in this movie was turning the military commander in the first movie into the GUN commander. That's one of those ideas that I often heard people talk about as a possibility, but it seemed like one of those unlikely kinds of fan suggestions/theories despite how appealing it was. It's an inspired idea to elevate one of the existing roles like that. Also, I had no idea that the wedding was going to be used as a trojan horse to introduce GUN... that's so outrageous that it's amazing.
    Oh yeah, I totally get that. This is just one of those cases where that little consensus description doesn't necessarily match up with the thoughts of general audiences (even though it often does).

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I love how they incorporated GUN. And that Tom referred to the general as "Olive Garden guy" almost in a way that I felt made fun of the 1st movie's weird fixation on that.

Also liked the reaction to the name GUN. "Guardian union of nations" "GUN? Really?" "Yea fun right?"

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  8. Fadaway

Fadaway

After a couple days to process, I appreciate the movie a lot more. When Jim Carrey was possessed by the Master Emerald, it reminded me of when I used to robo trip back in the day. Like, I don't encourage that sort of behavior, but it genuinely brought me back. The line about smelling the electricity in brains especially. Weird, weird stuff. But, great.

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Just saw the movie today, loved it.

I'm kinda confused about the planets each character came from, and I have no clue about who are those guys that attacked Eggman in the mushroom planet. I know they make a cameo in the pre-quill comics though. Sorry if this was already answered here, I didn't read the entire thread.

And I sure didn't get why the Master Emerald was on Earth. Was it random? Like, it had to be in some planet, and happened to be on Earth?

10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The emeralds flew away at the end of the movie. I think they're trying to set up emerald hunting for the Knuckles tv show.

11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    100% that guy is either going to be the GUN Commander we see in Shadow's game, or he's the one who killed Maria.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Do you think Maria is going to be part of the plot in the next movie? I don't think it fits the tone.

13. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    People, remember warp rings are the way to travel between worlds on all those planets, so every furry race could come from the same planet but ended on adifferent one. Planet here is almost a synonym of island if we compare the movies to the games.

I have a bunch of theories about how they could fit Shadow in the movie lore, and one of those sounds thrilling to me despite where it would come from: what if time-traveller Silver the hedgehog shows up in the past and spoils things to Gerald? They could mix and mess with a lot of games there, plus, if we add Amy to the roster, even show us which was the hedgehog planet of yore (maybe one of those marked with an X on the map?). Dunno, possibilities.

Actually, no, it's a lot easier: Gerald witnessed the hiding of the Master Emerald and the owl people talked to him about the fated hedgehog, and he made one with all he learnt about emerald and furry powers. Rest of SA2 can happen from there on without Black Arms.

Not literally as it was, but the movie doesn't need to be much darker than the second one (we've already had out-of-screen deaths of parents and full tribes) to make a fitting adaptation.

14. corneliab

corneliab

Anybody else notice the Chaos Emerald jingle when Sonic was about to absorb them? It was probably obvious to some of you, but it didn't stick out to me at first since it was slowed down a bit. Neat detail.

15. Frostav

Frostav

It is a bit weird that the warp rings are set up in the first movie to be these very rare things that Sonic has to cherish and use carefully but then the second one implies that all these animal people have them, and Sonic can afford to frivolously waste one sending Tom and Maddie to Hawaii, IMO

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well Sonic in the 1st movie needed the rings in case he had to escape, and he was on a planet where he couldn't get more. But by 2 he's comfortable on Earth and has no intention of leaving, so he's ok giving Tom and Maddie one because where else is he going? (well until Robotnik comes back etc etc)

17. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Maybe they can use the new Master Emerald to travel as well.

18. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Just got back from seeing it. It was good! It improves on some things from the first one and was definitely a worthy sequel.

Pros:
    - The acting was great. Tails was adorable and Knuckles was awesome and also very funny. Reminded me of Drax from GOTG but in a good way.
    - A lot of the jokes in this were genuinely very funny. Even the inevitable fart joke was funny because it actually worked well with the other elements of that scene.
    - The action in this movie was great and even brutal. Like, you felt it when Sonic got punched through the wall.
    - So many great game references here. SUPER SONIC AND DEATH EGG WOOOOO
    - The twist involving the wedding was kinda neat.
    - I liked the Uptown Funk scene. Yes it was dumb but I think it worked here. A Sonic the Hedgehog movie having a musical bit/dance-off fits this franchise pretty well, I think.

Cons:
    - The bit with Maddie and Rachel using Tails' gadgets to infiltrate the GUN HQ and Rachel going after her now-ex fiance dragged on a bit and felt very out of place. Like the movie just forgets about Sonic for a bit and this whole thing happens. It was kind of funny but also felt like something that should have been saved for the deleted scenes section on the DVD/Blu-Ray release of the movie. You could have cut this out and it would not have changed anything.
    - Some lines were pretty bad ("Snow my god").
    - Wish we got to see more of the Echidna/Longclaw fight. I was actually worried when they began to exposition dump at certain points because I would rather have seen those scenes rather than have them told to the audience... but then they did show some of those scenes so that made up for it.
    - More flashbacks to Longclaw in general would have been good and I think would have had a more emotional impact.
    - STILL no Jaleel White cameo? Boooo

Other:
    - Curious as to how the third movie will play out since Jim Carrey was looking to take a break from Hollywood. They seemed to write his character off in an ambiguous enough way to leave him dead if he does go on hiatus or alive if he decides to come back for one more.
    - I also would have liked some acknowledgement on what happened to the seven Emeralds. Did they all go back into the Master Emerald or are they scattered and the Master Emerald is somehow able to exist without them being inside of it. Wonder if we'll learn more about Sonic/Knuckles' and Tails' home planets in the next movie, too.
    - Having Shadow be the set up for the next movie is an interesting choice, but I'm looking forward to him being played by some random celebrity in the third movie. My choice? Nicolas Cage. :V

19. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    There you go. Asked the very same question lol.

20. Fadaway

Fadaway

I think it is probably an American thing. However, it isn't all the time. And, dare I say not often but I can't tell for sure. It may be the luck of the draw for me as I never usually get reactionary audiences and I'm old enough to have seen Return of the Jedi (although I don't remember it much). I think the only time I've ever heard an audience laughing was back in the '90s and it was a Jim Carrey movie coincidentally. Possibly Liar Liar. I hardly remember now but it struck me as very obnoxious. I think maybe one other time, too. Ah... yes. LotR: The Return of the King when it looked like Sam and Frodo were leaning into a kiss but weren't. Somebody made a comment a few rows down and people chuckled. I've never heard applause at a cinema. I am sure it happens, though.