don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    A shame they couldn't get DCT on the US release and other non-Japan releases of the movie. I think it would've been cool to see them get some exposure.

Still need to buy tickets but can't decide which day/time to see it... also, without getting spoiler-y, is the post credits scene actually midway through the credits or is it a "you have to wait until the very end of all the credits" post credit scene?

2. Saw it earlier today and had a fantastic time! I loved it.

3. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    It's a mid-credits scene right after the pixel art song.

4. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I'm still sort of in shock that this movie actually happened. It was everything I was expecting and more.

5. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    upload_2022-4-9_13-0-18.png

6. The tomatometer score is slowly getting higher. Hope it will at least have 75%. But I'm glad the audience score is almost 100% anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    MORBIUS CAN GET STUFFED, IT'S TIME FOR THE SONIC SWEEP, LADS

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It was dotting around the lower 60s for a few days. I don't think it's going to reach and settle 70, let alone 75. But a score of 68 is alright anyway. Not bad for a video game movie.

EDIT: I keep accidentally posting shit I don't mean to. I start typing a reply, change my mind and leave bit the board remembers what I was typing and leaves it there for the next time I submit a post.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  9. Honestly 70% for a video game movie is amazing, I'll take it.

I'm Honestly still comprehending how it was Sonic of all franchises to break the video game movie barrier....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    We may be living in a world where a Sonic movie may be better than a Mario movie and I think I’m totally ok with that

I mean we have to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves when the Mario movie comes out later this year but with so much love put into Sonic 2, idk if it can be topped

11. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    Wouldn't that honor go to Pokemon?

12. Detective Pikachu hasn't gotten a sequel yet

13. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    OK, it wasn't clear to me that by "video game movie barrier" you meant sequels. Of course, there are bunches of successful Pokemon theatrical releases of the animated variety. And other live action franchises with sequels like Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil and Silent Hill. So I'm guessing you meant the "live action films with sequels all with certified fresh rating on RT" barrier? In which case, congratulations, Sonic.

14. MH MD

MH MD

it actually had one
    it actually was cancelled

the fact that no one even realized that it happened... speaks volumes about the movie's reception

15. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    ??
    It was received quite well, actually. Second highest grossing video game movie of all time (after Warcraft) and it has a 68% at RT, same as Sonic 2.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why was it cancelled though? I almost bet it was covid shutting theaters down.

Crazy how Sonic was the last movie I saw in theaters before COVID happened, and now Sonic 2 was the 1st movie I've seen in theaters since (loved it btw)

17. Snowbound

Snowbound

Speaking of Detective Pikachu and the upcoming Mario movie... wouldn’t it be awesome if this were building up to a smash movie? If the Smash movie focuses on the N64 cast + Sonic I think the only other franchise that would NEED it’s own movie prior to smash would be Zelda... and Earthbound/Mother but I doubt that Nintendo would ever pursue that. IIRC Fox, Samus, Kirby & Captain Falcon are all characters who operate in space and/or on alien planets. So I feel like it wouldn’t be too hard to introduce those 4 in a smash movie and have them like bump into each other in space.

In an interview with Comicbook.com Jeff Fowler said that “Nothing would make me happier than to just throw all the characters into a battle royale and do a big Smash Bros. thing.” To be clear tho this was in RESPONSE to a question; I am NOT suggesting that Fowler is secretly planning a smash film.

18. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Detective Pikachu was also terrible.

19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I thought Detective Pikachu was good, but I'm also not a Pokemon fan or even play any Pokemon games. So I can't speak from that perspective. I naturally had a way better time with both Sonic movies. Detective Pikachu did at least do well commercially.

20. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    Yeah, I've also never played a Pokemon game before, but I think the film reached those kinds of people just as successfully as fans.
    In Japan, it was no contest. Detective Pikachu earned $27 million in Japan, while the first Sonic only pulled in $1.3 million.

To be fair, I think the Sonic films are doing well at reaching non-fans. If they were as strictly loyal to the games as some people around here seem to want, I honestly think it would cause the films to be less successful than they have been.