don't click here

Sonic 2 (Movie) Spoiler/Discussion Topic (Stay away if you don't want to be spoiled)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sonic Warrior TJ, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Fadaway

Fadaway

I was being flippant.

2. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The emeralds flew off Dragonball-style after the power-down. So the reformed Master Emerald is back to essentially its usual game version. It's now made solely from the chaff that bound the emeralds together, so it retains its own power as well as the ability to control the emeralds, but Sonic can't go super with it.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    My bad then, didn't grasp that lol.

4. Fadaway

Fadaway

Your work on these movies has been probably the biggest saving grace for
    I was a bit low-key about it, honestly, so it came off a bit too straight-faced. The fact that the bashing of the movie has been explicit in so many headlines, calling it a rush job or lousy, etc. When, all in all, it is a fun movie (to me, at least). Must be a conspiracy! Those damn Birds of Prey fans enacting revenge by teaming up with the SEGA-hating Mario fanboy crowd (believe, that is an actual crowd and I've experienced them on Facebook a number of times lol). Grrrr. Supposed to be funny and not serious.

I do have my complaints about the movie but, honestly, a lot of my complaints have more to do with what would already be expected with a Hollywood adaptation of a game franchise i.e. the kids movie trappings.

I thought a lot was brought to the table and it did a lot of things very well. Tyson, for one, is a saving grace for these films. But, everyone was good in this. All the actors did great with their roles and this managed to actually be really funny at times (something the first one tried to be).

5. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I had a feeling that was the case but the dialogue wasn't too clear about it. Thanks for clarifying!

I suppose in a movie dealing with Shadow the Hedgehog (ARK or no ARK) it would make sense to have the Chaos Emeralds separate from each other so Shadow can have his trademark Chaos Control.

6. Like this particularly bad reviews from the NYP

https://nypost.com/2022/04/07/sonic...utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

7. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I thought it was a little uncharacteristic of him to just let Eggman fall to his death, but when he did the freaky tornado summon thing, I got excited because I thought they were gonna go the Fleetway route of Super Sonic being BAD. That would've been neat.

8. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Yes.

Just saw the movie today with some friends! Setting aside how exciting it was to see my own art (and Mit's and Presley's!) in the credits, I really enjoyed the film and I'm glad it lived up to my expectations. I'll probably talk a lot more about it (and stuff with working on the credits sequence) sometime on the podcast I do with Mit.

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Just got out. Let me tell you that is the last time I am not going to a premium theater. Kids everywhere would not shut up and another guy my age yelled at the parent to shut this child up who was yelling (I think the child was autistic cause the parent was constantly telling them to be quiet, put their feet down, etc.).

HOWEVER,

Excellent movie, even better than the first!

Riddle me this, anyone else hear the first chord of Ice Cap Zone when Sonic first started snowboarding?

Also, I screamed “God damnit” when they said “50 years, blah blah blah” cause I knew what was coming. I was angry at the Shadow reveal at first, but then realized that nothing of significance really happened after Sonic 3 until SA2……so I get it. It’s a condensed timeline for movie’s sake. I wonder how they are going to bring it together. We already knew Chaos wasn’t happening when the Master Emerald fell apart and revealed the Chaos Emeralds, which is an interesting change to the lore that I can get behind.

10. Fadaway

Fadaway

It occurred to me... Knuckles never chuckled. :/

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Well that's what his theme song said to be fair.

12. Frostav

Frostav

This may sound odd as I am a massvie SA2 dork and thus should be happy at the response to post-credits reveal (and I am!), but I actually find it really surprising at how much all the kids at these showings loved it. We're talking kids who were likely born AFTER 06, when Shadow basically disappeared except as a minor side character. Someone born in 2007 would be 15 now, and that's not really a kid in my eyes. At my showing, 90% of the people there were families with grade schoolers and stuff, so we've got a bunch of kids born during like...around Mania's release (holy shit I am old) freaking out over a character who hasn't been relevant since 2006 in the mainline series. Like, damn, glad they're losing their shit and I'm super hyped for SA2's dumbass plot to get translated to the big screen, but where did they find this love for Shadow because it sure wasn't the games :V

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Professor BV

Professor BV

アブナイヨとHAVE A NICEは似てる Member
    FL
    I saw kids who were probably born after *Rise of Lyric* going nuts over Shadow. Remember that he was in Boom. Not to mention kids nowadays are growing up with the internet, and it's natural that they'd look up Sonic on the internet and find out about stuff from media that was before their time. I mean, that's what I did as a kid!

14. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I was literally about to say the same thing XD

Shadow and SA2 are immensely popular and there's a lot of discourse surrounding them on YouTube and the rest of the Internet. It doesn't surprise me that kids of that age are watching videos and becoming enamored with the character. As poorly handled as he is now, Shadow's a pretty cool character and has a similar, if darker, appeal as Sonic.

15. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Most people assume it's a safe bet that the third Sonic movie will be about the events from SA2 (City Escape, Metal Harbor, King Boom Boo, Rouge the Bat, ARK ...), but I for one would love it if the writers would come up with something more unforeseeable, at least for the first few minutes of the film. Why not have Sonic go to school together with Shadow and then boom, the military shows up, Agent Shadow reveals his true identity... Ok, that just sounds like a scene from a Bollywood movie.

Probably the best idea would be to stick as close to the games as possible, but only the parts where the story doesn't cause a headache.

16. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Well thank God nobody farted this time

17. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I fucking loved it. Sure some of the human parts were iffy but that was something I was conditioned to accept after the first movie. I was probably the only consistent applauder/reactor to the many many easter eggs in the film (my applause for Super Sonic turned into a round of applause from the whole theater!) The conclusion I have is Sonic still brings out the child in me, but oh man did some actual child absolutely lost his shit when Shadow appeared.

Honestly I can't wait to buy it so I can watch it all the time. It's like Sonic 1,2,3&K were actualized into a 2 hour Hollywood film, what's not to love? Plus they're all really adorable and I hope I can get plushes.

18. There's also the fact that Sonic Adventure 2 is readily available on Steam. Any kid with a halfway decent computer can play it.

But more generally, Shadow is on about as much merchandise as Team Sonic. That character prints money and Sega haven't really created another character on that level since.

As for me, I'm wondering how they're going to handle his introduction. Are they going to sanitize his backstory a bit or are they just going to go full dark. Shadow's story kind of relies on the tragedy of it to serve as his motivation so without it, his drive is a bit weaker imo.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Is this kind of behaviour just a thing in different parts of the world? I'm used to cinemas in the UK being consistently quiet. The audience will laugh at something funny, maybe gasp at something surprising too, but that's it. You just sit down and shut the fuck up. I'd kind of hate to be in that environment where people are verbally reacting and applauding throughout the film. But I can also see that that might just be part of the experience for some people.

20. In my experience, it feels like a recent trend thanks to the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as it wasn't all that prevalent before.

For my part, it is part of the experience, for better or worse. Even I can't help but get infected by the energy surrounding me and I'm usually pretty reserved.

Especially when you have a theater of young kids like I did, because they simply refuse to sit down and be quiet when they're excited about something.