don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    (if they really loved Japan, they'd use a Japanese Mega Drive and Mega-CD that could actually run that version of the game ;) )

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Well, it's only for display purpose :)

I guess it also depends on what's available to them, or what the collector (who's lending parts of their collection to them) is willing to share...

The focus of the exhibition is not the video games, that is only a tiny fraction. It's about the whole culture.

They also had this, a PAL Dreamcast with a Sakura Taisen disk in it, a PSX...

[​IMG]

3. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Apparently, Robert Pattinson was getting ready for the role of Batman by playing ... Sonic Adventure 2.

https://twitter.com/miexriir/status/1500220717064802304

Unfortunately, I can't find anything else on the internet about it, all I know is that the news appeared in March, before April Fool's Day in some... newsletter?

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Tormenting yourself with Shadow stages to get into the brooding nature of the character? Yeah, I can believe that :V

5. As though Shadow's stages were the "bad ones" to begin with :eng99:

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I mean, fair, but we're talking a relative scale. =P

If anything, surely he should have just been playing Shadow's own game?

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    This is fake. (Though I can see why people think it's real, Rob is an infamous troll and that's 100% something he would say to fuck with the tabloids.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Well, time to watch the new Batman. xD

9. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    The "newsletter" you mention is actually supposed to be GQ's website if you look closer. Of course, it's all completely fake. But you can read some actual interviews with Rob at GQ if you're interested. Just don't expect any mentions of Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don't know, he's brought up the waifu wars of FFVII during the press tour for Batman, I could 100% see him telling us about the masterstroke that is Sonic Labyrinth and how its structure influenced the design of Gotham next.

11. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    What is this? #TeamAerith vs. #TeamTifa (vs. #TeamYuffie?) or something like that? First time that remake truly brings my past back.

12. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    It’s actually a U-Matic tape, not Vhs.
    Edit: all of the videos released by Chris Senn were from VHS. Also not sure which version U-matic they received, hopefully it’s the master and the sp variant with 330 lines of resolution.
    Here’s some more info on the format: https://obsoletemedia.org/u-matic-s-sp/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    • Informative Informative x 13
    • List
  15. Xilla

Xilla

A documentary that apparently aired on UK Channel 4 in 1993:

The CGI scene at 49:05 is of interest. A screenshot appeared in Edge Magazine (and I believe several others) around that time, credited to Virtual Image Ltd and Autodesk (who get credited at the end of the programme). The S1 title screen is missing its background (like in TTS and the 8-bit versions) although I'm inclined to believe the creators did that themselves and it's just a weird co-incidence that it resembles those.

I wonder though, why does this even exist? Was it commissioned by the programme makers or by SEGA themselves for marketing reasons and if so, is there a longer copy out there? The only company I can find called Virtual Image that were active around that time went into liquidation in 1997 apparently.

(Here's the Edge scan):

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I had assumed it was commissioned by Edge, but having now seen footage, I would guess it was part of a demo reel, aka "hire us we can do this". Maybe they even showed it to Sega.

It'll be a tough thing to find though.

17. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I can tell you where this is appears. The scene itself was also used in an opening for 101 Turbo Tips which was a VHS released by Mean Machines. The opening also contains CGI (?) of areas inspired by ECCO (which itself has a 3D model), an area inspired by Road Rash and an industrial looking area with sprites of a Xenomorph from Alien3.

If you're just after Sonic then you should skip to about 3:15 in. Otherwise just watch the intro and let it all sink in.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  18. Xilla

Xilla

Ha, mystery solved then! I'd never seen that video before. Guess that was the origin of it given by how the MMS graphics are intergrated into said sequence.

19. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    This is probably uninteresting but I was playing through Sonic R on PC and I glanced at the back of the CD Case. I haven't seen this mentioned but it seems the back of the case uses pre-release screenshots from the PC version including character icons for the map. There is also a screen grab of Metal Sonic in the tree shortcut in Resort Island with the Snow weather, however the snowflakes are not nearly as present.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apologies for the less then stellar pictures. The back of the Jewel Case variant is not on the Wiki page and I don't have a scanner near me. Similar images appear on the other US Released PC Versions but the snow one is exclusive to the Jewel Case version.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No shit I wonder why they replaced the character heads on the mini map with dots? Seems lazier