- Member: Members
- Active Posts:
- 893 (0.3 per day)
- Most Active In:
- Engineering & Reverse Engineering (126 posts)
- 26-April 05
- Profile Views:
- Last Active:
- Dec 14 2012 09:54 AM
- Member Title:
- I want that heinous hedgehog hammered!
- 24 years old
- July 25, 1988
- Sonic classic games, specially the Sega Master System series. Research and investigation in the old-skool Sonic games.
- Other Contact Info:
- National Flag:
- Wiki edits:
Topics I've Started
15 September 2011 - 02:58 PMIt has been three years since I published my hack of Sonic 2 for the Sega Master System. I updated it with notable changes. Pretty much everything now that we can enjoy Glitch's disassembly.
A few days ago I visited this site and I saw a very interesting topic by Ravenfreak. However I found a mistake, not in the code, but in the purpose. The life counter does store more than 9 lives; however, the highest number it shows is "9". You don't know if you have 9, 10, or 30 lives -- unless you check it in RAM of course. That's what I did and I realized that the life counter (the byte that stores the number of lives, not the sprite to show in the screen) was not BCD. So I started modifying all the calls to the life counter in the source code and then completed this work. Two-digit is available here and fully functional.
But then I couldn't stop! I also programmed a three-digit ring counter. If you get 100 rings, you still have 100 rings. You don't die if you have 100 rings. At the end of the level, you get ring bonus for all your rings, including those over 100.
I also successfully coded the arrow monitor that lets you start at the place you get it when you lose a life. It places the needed game data in unused bytes of the RAM. Also I fixed a problem in the 10-ring monitor. It didn't give you an extra life when you get it having 90-99 rings, now it does. And of course if you have 190-199 rings, etc.
* 3-digit ring counter
* 2-digit life counter
* Arrow monitor
* Small layout and sprite changes
And all the content of the previous version: Layout changes, rings and monitors in the acts 3 of every zone.
* The final boss always gave me problems, it always made the game crash after 45 seconds of play, no matter how many changes I made. So I just deleted it.
* I just realized that if you get a ring monitor with 91-99 rings, then you have exactly 100 rings. I must fix this in the next update.
* Pointed out by nineko: The end-of-level bonuses screen doesn't show the hundreds digit in its ring counter. It's not a glitch, it happens because I didn't bother in making the code to display it :P However it counts all your rings, it just doesn't show the number.
Sky High Zone
Aqua Lake Zone
Green Hills Zone
Download from the page in the wiki
Glitch, Ravenfreak, Hivebrain, SGR, MK, Rolken
07 October 2008 - 05:41 PMThat's a question I asked myself when I was ten, after making one million points playing the game in a real SMS. I knew the bonuses you're given when the game ends, including that "Special Bonus" which gives you points for completing extra achievements.
I've played the game in an emulator, using savestates, to create, probably, my highest score without cheating in the RAM or stuff like so. According to these statements:
- All objects you can destroy gives you 100 points. Not only the badniks; monitors do too. Beating Robotnik, on the other hand, gives you nothing.
- Always search the option that gives me the most points. If I have to catch the less rings to make a higher time bonus, then I will, and viceversa.
- Always search for the special stages. It's preferible to get the continues, lives and thousands of points available in special stages. Remember that in the first special stage, rings are worth 100 points, but 200 in the second, 300 in the third, and so on. Plus, getting all the continue boxes in the 8 special stages gives you extra 100000 extra points in "Special Bonus".
- Get the 1-up in the ending sign of the stages you can't access special stages (SBZ1, SBZ2 and SkyB1). This can be achieved only if you finish the stage with a certain amount of rings, that varies from stage to stage.
- Get all the 1-up boxes. There's only one in each stage. At the final boss, a 1-up box will only appear if you got all the 17 previous ones in the stages. Plus, at the end of the game, each life is worth 5000 extra points for the score, and getting all the 1-up boxes gave me another extra 150000 points in "Special Bonus".
- Get the six chaos emeralds. They give you 20000 points each if you get them all (5000 each if you don't get the six). They also give you 50000 extra points in "Special Bonus".
- Use savestates for a better performance. Not losing a single life in all the game gives you 200000 extra points in "Special Bonus".
This said, I used lots of times and opportunities to break all my time, rings and score records. However, there are some points to note before presenting the results:
- What's the highest number of rings you can get in GHZ1, giving you must pass the stage in less than 30 seconds (to get 30000 time bonus points) and getting the life box? I guess it can't be more than 70. Same goes for GHZ2, but with 1 minute as time limit (10000 points).
- Is it possible to beat BZ1 in less than 30 seconds, including the 1-up box? I always got 30 seconds as my best result, so I couldn't apply for the 30000 points.
With all this, the highest score I got was 1456500 points (with 41 lives at the end of the game). All this is presented in the attached Excel sheet.
I'm now starting to think about the highest possible number of lives. I think it can be 44 if you get an extra life in rings in all the special stages.
04 June 2008 - 02:39 PM
<MK> Sonic 2: SWEET RELIEF <Ambil> :O <Ambil> ( () () |_ |) () () |) <MK> XD
Are you that damn annoyed by Underground Zone Boss that you quit playing this game? Do you wish to see a less sadistic version of Green Hills Zone act 3? Or just wondered if the Silver Sonic boss could be easier?
These are the purposes of Sonic 2: Sweet Relief. A hack of Sonic 2 (Sega Master System) that includes rings in all boss zones. Includes:
Underground Zone act 3: 42 ringsSpoiler
Sky High Zone act 3: 24 rings
Aqua Lake Zone act 3: 48 ringsSpoiler
Green Hills Zone act 3: 49 ringsSpoiler
Gimmick Mt. Zone act 3: 18 rings
Scrambled Egg Zone act 3: 20 rings
Crystal Egg Zone act 3:Spoiler
SGR asked to make more clear the access to the emerald in GMZ2, but finally was dropped.
FORGOT the credits
and perhaps more
26 May 2008 - 04:36 PMFo'real this time, three years after my epic release of S2-SMS block maps, I present original work made by myself.
As said in Hivebrain's SONIC 2 MASTER SYSTEM ROM HACKING GUIDE, levels are made up of blocks (32x32 pixels each), which are composed of tiles (8x8 pixels each).
Every zone has its own block configuration, and it's uncompressed in ROM. If you remember my blockmaps, every pixel (I.e. every byte) means a 32x32 block.
What I'm presenting is the collection of all blocks used in every zone. If you review them carefully, you will note some blocks are unused at all in the zone. Also, rings, springs and spikes are included here. They're considered part of the background because the SMS/GG doesn't have enough resources to handle lots of them as single sprites.
Please note that, as all this work is hand-made (copying, flipping and pasting tiles from the ROM), some of the tilemaps are incomplete. I'm not out to finish all decorations such as all variations of grass and bricks in ALZ or all clouds in SHZ.
UGZ | SHZ acts 1/3 | SHZ act 2 | ALZ acts 1/3 | ALZ act 2 | GHZ | GMZ | SEZ acts 1/3 | SEZ act 2 | CEZ acts 1/2 (unfinished) | CEZ act 3 (not even started)
13 May 2008 - 04:00 PMThis is a sport game for PC. You will be able to create a character for yourself, but the most important: Sonic will be by your side in the game.
Not to forget one of the golf courses will be placed in Green Hill Zone.
Sonic won't be alone in the game, you will also be able to choose between Tails, Puyo Puyo, Ulala and Nights.
Trailer in Youtube
You can start not caring about this game now.
Ambil hasn't added any friends yet.