- Tech Member: Tech Members
- Active Posts:
- 2355 (0.69 per day)
- Most Active In:
- Engineering & Reverse Engineering (1041 posts)
- 01-February 04
- Profile Views:
- Last Active:
- Apr 06 2013 05:06 PM
- 23 years old
- December 23, 1989
- Torquay, England
- National Flag:
- Wiki edits:
Topics I've Started
30 October 2012 - 09:39 AMLatest Info is HERE: http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=737418
Hey, remember this?
after releasing the Casual Editions, I was still looking for something to do and figured I might as well go work on Cz some more.
Two days later and this is the result:
Basically my plan of action was to make the entire game playable as Amy, and now it is.
If you're wondering why I'd release something that's clearly unfinished, do note, I want to work on more bugfixes and features while anyone who wants to play it in its current state, can. If I waited til everything was done, I'd never release it at all. Actually releasing something motivates me to do more work on it, I guess. Besides, my name's Hayate, since when did Hayate not release things that were ridiculously glitchy messes?
Full changelog of what I've done in this little hacking spree:
Quote* Amy now has new sprites/animations for bouncing on a spring, being hurt, crouching, waiting, looking up and posing when you complete an act.
* Amy now has a dash hammer attack, which you can use by building up speed, then holding down. It uses up your inertia though, can only be used on fairly level ground, and doesn't last long! Release Down to cancel the attack early.
* Amy can now break AIZ/LRZ top-breakable rocks and LBZ pipe plugs with her hammer.
* Amy can still enter tunnels that force her to spin, but will now automatically stop spinning and go back to running when she leaves them.
* Amy can now break SOZ rising sand walls and corks, allowing her to complete the zone. She can also hit the act 2 boss properly without being invincible/Super/Hyper, but it's difficult to hit without getting hit yourself as it sucks the player character in assuming they'll jump into a ball and rebound.
* Amy can now break LRZ projectile shooting door opening enemies.
* Amy can't move LRZ dash elevators, but she CAN break them with her hammer! This allows her to complete the zone (act 1 boss requires Super/Hyper).
* Hyper Amy's afterimages now appear properly.
* Amy can now hit the DEZ3 post-final-boss Eggpod (the one that you're not allowed to be Super/Hyper for).
* Beating DEZ3 as Amy no longer crashes the game (beating DEZ3 as Knuckles still does, though).
I must admit I haven't tested the hammer responses for things in SSZ and DEZ, as I kinda just flew through them in hyper mode... so you may need to do the same. But I'm sure everyone on here can collect 7 emeralds
In addition to these changes, there were a ton of changes I made between the previous release and now, which I'd totally forgot even doing. I'll summarize what I can remember:
Quote* You now gain rings from killing enemies, ala SATSEE.
* You can now only enter the Special Stages from climbing all the way up to the top of the Magnet Ball Bonus Stage. And to enter that bonus stage, you have to get 80 rings and hit a checkpoint (20-49 gives you the slot machine and 50-79 gives you the gumball machine, neither of which have tops).
* While transforming still requires 50 rings (I may change this in future), transformation drains your score which has been renamed to Power, instead of your rings.
* You have infinite lives, anything that would get you an extra life gets you 10000 points instead. The life counter is no longer displayed. If you die, you lose 10000 points or all your points if you have less than that, but you don't game over even if you don't have enough points.
* Giant rings always give 5000 points (and don't give rings, and don't lead to special stages or HPZ).
* In Doomsday Zone, you start with 5000 points, and you gain 10000 points every 50 rings (instead of every 100 rings as elsewhere in the game).
Bugs worth drawing attention to:
Quote* For whatever reason, when you complete DEZ3 with all 14 emeralds, it goes to the credits, but when you go to load your file it shows up as ZONE14 not CLEAR. If you then play the file again, it'll take you to Doomsday Zone and then the same credits, and THEN the file will say CLEAR.
* Do not fight Knuckles' boss at the end of LBZ2. If you do, the cutscene where you fall into Mushroom Hill never ends, just like if you manage to fight Knuckles' boss as Sonic/Tails in the original game.
* In the LRZ1 cylinders and the SSZ cutscene tower that you run around, the game will lag a lot and may glitch up the graphics, but there will be no other unwanted effects, and the lag will stop once you leave the cylinder. If you're impatient, just hold TAB (or whatever your speedup button might be).
Oh, and for those who were wondering what Cz stands for? I've retconned it to stand for nothing. Yes the hack used to be called Customizable, but I don't really care to maintain that as Tiddles has steadily improved his customizable version which is far better. I've been thinking of what else to call it - called it Amy in Sonic 3 for a while because that's the main concept going on here, but then Psi came along with a far more fitting hack for that name once again. So because nobody else would ever have any good reason to use the name "Sonic 3 Cz", let's just use that and stick with it.
Now after this enormous post, guess I have a wiki page to renovate...!
28 October 2012 - 03:43 AMSo hey, I was stupidly sick and bored, so I set out to do some very simple Sonic hacking to pass the time... and, I've always wanted a version of Sonic games that don't make you lose progress when you get hit, cause I suck.
So here you go. Full changelog:
Quote- taking or causing damage counts to 2 separate counters displayed in place of SONIC x 3
- spike bug fix (only affects Sonic 1, of course)
- don't game/time over any more
- restarting the level doesn't fade out and replay music (only happens when you pitfall or get crushed)
- crushing plays what was spike death sound, while pitfalling plays normal death sound (only affects Sonic 1, was too lazy to look for crushing objects in S2/S3K)
- debug mode no longer stops you getting killed from crushing or pitfalls (only affects Sonic 1)
- you no longer collect extra lives (1-up monitor does nothing)
Bugs (I.e. stuff I realize is broken, and too lazy to fix):
Quote- hitting bosses doesn't increment the damage caused counter
- Sonic 2's 2-player mode doesn't track separate counters for Tails
- S3K doesn't save the counters in the save data
- haven't tested S3K's 2-player mode at all but it's probably broken for some ridiculous reason
I was thinking of making the 1-up monitors give you 50 or 100 rings instead of doing nothing but I felt I wanted to keep everything apart from what I set out to change as close to the original games as possible, and assigning some arbitrary number doesn't really fit with that goal.
Probably took me about 4 hours yesterday to do S1 and ReadySonic, and another 4 hours today to do S2 and S3K.
ReadySonic config file I used (comments removed for brevity, download ReadySonic yourself if you don't know what they mean):
WallJumpActive: = 0 MoveLamppostVRAM: = 1 UseDMAQueue: = 1 SpinDashActive: = 1 SpinDashDustActive: = SpinDashActive*MoveLamppostVRAM*UseDMAQueue*1 SpinDashSFXActive: = SpinDashActive*1 SpinDashCancel: = SpinDashActive*1 SpinDashNoRevDown: = SpinDashActive*1 SpinDashCameraLag: = SpinDashActive*1 DashCDActive: = 0 BalanceCDActive: = 0 InstaShieldActive: = 0 SimpleCheatEntry: = 1 MonitorArtOptimise: = 1 HUDCentiseconds: = MonitorArtOptimise*1 ChunksInROM: = 0 BlocksInROM: = 0 HUDHasLeadingZeroes: = 0 TimeRingsFlashFix: = 1 TimeRingsFlashFixNotRed: = TimeRingsFlashFix*1 DynamicSpecialStageWalls: = 0 HUDInSpecialStage: = DynamicSpecialStageWalls*1 HUDInSpecialStageType: = 0 TimeLimitInSpecialStage: = HUDInSpecialStage*TimeRingsFlashFix*0 TimeLimitInSpecialStagePinch: = $00001E00 TimeLimitInSpecialStageStart: = $00010000 TitleScreenPaletteFix: = 0 SpecialStageJumpFix: = 0 WarmPaletteMod: = 0 ShieldArtMod: = 1 SonicCDRollJump: = 0 ReboundMod: = 0 EnablePSBMessage: = 1 LimitLZBlockRisingSpeed: = 1 SkipCheckSumCheck: = 1 SpeedUpScoreTally: = 1 SpikeSFXFix: = 0 RollingTurnAroundFix: = 1 ScrollDelay: = 1 ScrollDelayTime: = 30 LookShiftFix: = 1 SpikeFix: = 1 CaterkillerFix: = 1 CustomDemoDelay: = 0 CustomDemoDelayTime: = $280 OrbinautAnimationTweak: = 0 OrbinautAnimationTweakRange: = $80 OrbinautAnimationTweakSpeed: = $8 SLZOrbinautBehaviourMod: = 0 NewtronBehaviourTweak: = 0 LostRingsFlash: = 1 LostRingsFlashTime: = 80 FZBossInvulnMod: = 0 FZBossInvulnModTime: = $20 DisableSpeedCap: = 0 GiantRingArtLoadsWithEndSign: = 1 SpecialStageIndexIncreasesOnlyIfWon: = 1 SpecialStagesStillAppearWithAllEmeralds: = 0 GiantRingsInSBZ: = GiantRingArtLoadsWithEndSign*1 GiantRingsInSBZArtLoc1: = $4DA GiantRingsInSBZArtLoc2: = $568 GiantRingsInSBZArtLoc3: = $3A0 GiantRingsInSBZArtLoc4: = $4C0 PaddingActive: = 1 PaddingValue: = $FF PaddingMegs: = 1 QuarterloopFix: = 1 MagneticRings: = 1 RingsBounceAtZoneBottom: = 1
I will post source if enough people care (and diffs if moreso)
09 December 2010 - 04:10 PMSo, has anybody played Eggman Hates Furries yet? Should I make a topic about it over on Engineering/Reverse Engineering? Does it make you hate furries too?
I don't think it belongs in E&RE, unless Oddwarg actually comes here and posts about it himself, but feel free to move if necessary...
Well, as for the game itself... I'm impressed! I'm still wondering how a lot of the special effects it does is implemented, but then again, the latest version of Game Maker I used was 5.3A
I think it's nice having a game like this, I always wanted to make a seamless Sonic game with no results screens, fade-outs, etc. I wouldn't say the lack of platforming was a bad thing, as this game was built to show off special effects and that's really what bosses are for. In any case, I got a huge thrill from playing it, much more than any normal Sonic platforming.
My favorites are Drill, Robot, Egg and Battle. Not the most appropriate names I'd say, but that's what they're called in the level select! Drill fair enough, but Robot and Egg could be applied to pretty much any Sonic boss... and Battle could be applied to anything!
I'll also post a link to a rather long comment I posted on the creator's deviantart, where I mostly talk about physics. Quite glad he took my boss fix ideas on board, it took the annoying bits out of Drill and Egg.
A last note, I do like the music in this game, but a lot of it is midi files with the usual rubbish instruments... I don't know about you, but I would kill for some YM2612 ports!
19 November 2010 - 08:16 AMhttp://var.projectnanako.com/junk/scc.zip
This is essentially Puto's IDA export, ran through a Python script I wrote to:
- convert all IDA's CP437 characters to 7-bit ASCII
- remove all IDA's useless and ugly comments (e.g. placing characters after every byte constant, putting cross-references everywhere) and format the code nicely
- extract all blocks of data that are 256 bytes or more into .bin files
In addition, I wrote a second script to extract all the data from S3 as according to Nemesis' address listing, and this data is now incbin'd with automatically generated labels (admittedly not very good labels, but I wasn't going to sit there and name all 924 of them manually).
And it comes with ASM68K and a build script. It should generate a byte-for-byte identical ROM.
I was going to make it use AS, but AS kept complaining at me - when it decided not to compile legitimate lea(pc,dn) instructions I gave up with that.
I hope this is useful to anyone starting a new S3K hack.
If anyone wants the Python scripts I'll post them on request.
02 January 2010 - 04:57 AMSonic 3 Customizable <-- download from the wiki
Extract to wherever, run customizer.exe and tell it which options you want by typing 'y' or 'n' to each prompt. As long as you specify at least one option, it'll create a s3kcustom.bin which you can load into your favorite emulator. If you don't want any options, just load s3kbuilt.bin.
And here's a copypaste of options.txt for those too lazy to download (plus some extra notes in brackets):
1: add "&KNUCKLES" branding (does not work for title cards yet - only for title screen and ending)
2: use Sonic 3 credits music in ending
3: no fade before results screen
4: no music after results screen
5: use S&K B2/B3 DAC sample
6: use Sonic 3 title screen, invincibility, one-up and game clear tracks
7: always play Sonic 3 midboss track
8: always play S&K midboss and Knuckles tracks (if you specify neither 7 nor 8, it plays Sonic 3 midboss for Sonic and S&K midboss for Knuckles... this doesn't seem to work for ICZ yet though, and possibly others I haven't tested)
9: do not gain extra lives after 200 rings (the original games only let you gain extra lives for 100 and 200 rings)
10: use original LRZ/HPZ sequence (currently this only affects whether HPZ has a score tally)
11: disable SATSEE-style bubble bounce landing with down button
To avoid anyone moaning about IDEA STEALING: since Tiddles and I have a SVN repository for this hack, we'll be sharing bugfixes and some minor features between us. You should be able to get an identical gameplay experience to his "Sonic 3 Complete" hack (but not necessarily a byte-for-byte identical ROM) by enabling options 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11.
QUOTE (nineko)And write it was your idea to split it again or Tweaker will kill me
Also, it was my idea to split the topic again so don't kill Nineko