- Member: Members
- Active Posts:
- 35 (0.08 per day)
- Most Active In:
- Engineering & Reverse Engineering (21 posts)
- 11-March 12
- Profile Views:
- Last Active:
- Dec 19 2012 12:27 AM
- 19 years old
- November 10, 1993
- National Flag:
Topics I've Started
15 March 2012 - 06:42 PMHey, everyone.
Knuckles is my favorite character in Sonic, by far. I loved how he handled in Sonic 3 and Knuckles (probably one of the best games ever made, imo). His gliding ability, mixed in with his low jumping capability, made him a very fun character to play and very unique to the series. In Sonic Advance 1, they gave him a higher jump which I think hurt the character's uniqueness (plus removing his special paths, and stuff), but he was still my favorite to play.
Actually, I really loved the alternate paths in S3&K. Playing Knuckles was like playing an entirely new game from Sonic's. However, I think some of the paths wasted his talents (see: CNZ1/2, etc.). Some of his sections were focused on speed, which I don't think fit Knuckles' role well at all. However, even with that, Knuckles' routes were harder and less rewarding, but the challenge was very entertaining to play and I loved every minute of it.
I'm going to be redesigning his sections in S3&K. What do you think the best playstyle for Knuckles is? I personally think Knuckles should focus on climbing, avoiding spikes, and platforming, with very few speed sections mixed in. Also, I think he should be given access to shortcuts/alternate routes that take advantage of his climbing ability, and entering Sonic's paths occasionally.
What's your opinion on the matter? How should Knuckles play?
11 March 2012 - 09:20 PMHey guys,
So, I recently (like yesterday) picked up SonEd2 and got it fully operational. Developing a level hack for Sonic 2. The editor is intuitive and fun to use, and I've successfully got my maps (currently did EHZ1 and EHZ2). However, I do have a lot of questions, and I've noticed some glitches and stuff that I was wondering you experienced folk could help me with.
1. In EHZ1, I have this weird glitch. When the game starts, the camera begins at the top of the map and slowly descends down to Sonic. And then, when I hit a starpost and then die, the game starts up again in that same position (top left of the map) and slowly scrolls toward where it's supposed to be. I have no idea why this happens on Act 1 only.
2. Similarly, in Act 1, towards the end of the map, I made a series of loops to the end flag. However, above the first loop is a glitchy mess that constantly flickers above the loop. I can't explain why.
3. In CPZ, I know there are tubes the player can zoom across through the map. However, I tried to implement this and the game doesn't recognize the loops. Instead, he falls through the pipe and dies, and it doesn't track where he's been. Is there an object I'm missing that activates the spinning?
4. Would implementing Knuckles into Sonic 2 be a difficult task to accomplish? I've never edited hex. I can try poking around for a tutorial but before I began I wanted to see your input.
5. Similar to #4, could I apply the disassembly process for S2&K and then import the levels I made in the Sonic 2 hack into that, fully playable and all, then rebuild it and get a working hack?
6. My last question, would it be problematic to move around start and end locations? My goal being to extend the level length to whatever maximum that is allowed? I've tried looking for where the bosses are called but they don't seem to be on the maps themselves. Hence, I'm a little worried. Are player start, flag and bosses hardcoded into the levels and I'd have to edit hex in order to get them playable?
The goal is for me to build levels similar to S3&K into Sonic 2. Completely original layouts, with multiple paths depending on what character you choose. I could really use the help, thank you for any that you can give!
Also, if you're wondering what I mean by questions #1 and #2, I might be able to get video of it to show you.
Putmalk hasn't added any friends yet.