don't click here

Retro-Sonic 2007 Beta Mac OS Build (Finally) + RSXG Tidbits

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yep, after digging up the Pre XG merge build again... I finally sorted out a Mac version.

Go here to get it

It's pretty much identical to the SAGE 2007 build, so there's no point in bug finding (unless it's a critical OSX crash or something) since the Retro-Sonic XG build is now months ahead of that one.

Speaking of which, I may as well spruik a W.I.P few screens while I'm at it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yeah... Enjoy!

2. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    Awesome, but is there an exact replica for Windows, seeing as I can see that these screens are more recent, I guess the version is too, but the windows version I has is pld.

Awesome job though. I know a few mac users that might wants this.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. Wiin.

3. Flare

Flare

Definitely will be downloading this on my new Mac, heh.

Mind I ask which API you are using to program with that you are able to port between Windows and Mac?

4. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Well, I use my own custom graphics code, which 'plugs in' to any graphics API with ease. So on windows I use directx7 and on OSX I use SDL.

Sound on Win/Mac is handled via the BASS lib, which is multi-platform

The Dreamcast version is a bit different, I had to write hardware specific versions of Gfx/Sound/Input etc. That's why I won't be updating the dreamcast version until later.

5. Flare

Flare

Ah thank you, I have started learning about SDL, because I am more often on the Mac and wanted something cross platform, but I was reading that it doesn't give as much power as other APIs, and I didn't want to find it turning out slow and useless.

6. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    that's great to see you've merged with XG, I always thought their graphics were sort of "wasted" in the engine they were using before.

7. Lightning

Lightning

indeed Tech Member
    Would it be easy/possible for you to make a Linux/SDL build?

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Aw, the version I have doesn't have Sonic & Tails :) I need an update for this one. Windows version. Or what, because it's Windows it should be ignored? :P (childish attitude found)

9. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Great to see progress on this, thanks Taxman. And good job porting the XG levels, congrats to Euan as well.

10. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Tested on:

-MacBook Pro, 2.6ghz/4GB
    -MacBook 2.0/1GB
    -iBook 1.24/768 MB

Runs quite fine on all of them, nice to see!

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Er, just now I noticed it's RetroSonic XG. I have pure Sonic XG and RetroSonic, not the mix between them XD By the way, I want it yet :P

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Is that the chaotix "big ring drop" power up I see there?

13. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    The windows version of the 2007 beta is on the same page man.

Yeah, it's in the 2007 build as well

14. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Awesome to see something new on Retro Sonic - I was just wondering the other day about how this was coming on since it merged with XG. = ) Looks like things are coming along well from the screens, though I still have mixed feelings about XG's HUD. Although the bar at the top showing power-ups is much less cumbersome than the side-bar XG's previous incarnation had, I still feel the Chaotix-style method of having the icons appear only when needed is less intrusive than giving them a permanently-active HUD area.

One thing I've been meaning to ask since the two projects merged shortly after last year's SAGE: are any levels from the original Retro Sonic gameplan surviving into the new RSXG project? I've loved what I've seen of XG's levels throughout its development so far, but it'd be a shame to lose levels such as Egg Garden, which seemed basically completed from the 2007 Retro Sonic demo.

Either way, though, the project's still showing great promise. = ) Retro Sonic's engine was pretty damn accurate from the last demo, and the style of XG has always been something I've liked. Combining the two should hopefully form a winning formula.

15. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Ouch I though only the Mac version was >_<

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I was wondering something... Are you guys going to add a filter so the vertical color lines (in waterfalls and some background elements) and all the dithering will blend and create new colors and transparencies, like in the old games? I'm asking because, you know, those weren't intended to be seen.

[EDIT]
    I mean, when they'd make something like this:
    [​IMG]
    They really meant something more like this to be shown on the TV:
    [​IMG]
    [/EDIT]

Looks great as always, by the way.

17. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    The problem is that blurring goes in one sense there, so you can't center it. However most emulators do that because it's easier. Fusion has an alternate algorithm which takes three columns instead of two and hence can be centered properly. But I don't think it's just an average.

This may do:
    Code (Text):
    1. color = (pixel[x][y] >> 1) + (pixel[x-1][y] >> 2) + (pixel[x+1][y] >> 2)

18. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Another thing that would be great (which I imentioned to Taxman a while ago) would be hq3x filtering.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    hq3x looks dreadful. I think the game is fine as-is, and there's no need to overcomplicate everything with bloated visual effects.

20. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Instead of HQ3x normal bilinear filtering (a stupid interpolation, c'mon :P) should be done. See, that's how I have Fusion configured because that's the way it matches the most on TVs (at least on my TVs :P): bilinear, blurring, no scanlines. That's it.

It should be possible to disable those effects in the game through :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.