don't click here

Mega Drive header: country codes

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Sik, Feb 4, 2008.

Which method do you prefer?

1. Old method

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. New method

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    As you know, normally the country code is set in $1F0 in three bytes. In those three bytes you have to specify the following letters, one for each region, and leave unused bytes as spaces:
    • J: Japan
    • U: America
    • E: Europe
    However, in the Technicall Bulletin #31, Sega suggests a new method for country codes. In this method one byte is always used. You must make a four bit value based on the allowed regions, and put it at $1F0 as a hexadecimal value in ASCII (watch out with that, don't put the value straight as it is).
    • Bit 0: Domestic, NTSC (Japan)
    • Bit 1: Domestic, PAL (Invalid?)
    • Bit 2: Overseas, NTSC (America)
    • Bit 3: Overseas, PAL (Europe)
    The point is, which method do you prefer? The old one or the new one? Yes, this is a poll. Just to see if we want to change our standard for setting that or not. I plan to implement checking for both method in the 2gen BIOS (if I continue working on it :)), by the way. You choose.

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    You sure you haven't mixed it with $a10001?

In any case, the first one is better.

3. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Yes, I'm sure. There are two bits in $A10001, while there are four in these specs I'm talking about.

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Ah, yes, I remember that!

It's an interesting concept, but... JUE is my preference (visibility, ease of use).

5. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    The main problem with it is that it's written in ASCII. If it was a straight value, a simple btst would do. Also, '4', '8', 'B', 'E' and 'F' are used in the old system (them all work as the same, just 'J', 'U', 0 (PAL Jap) and 'W' (all regions become valid) don't), and conflict with the new one, again because it's ASCII. So bad. But the new one looks cool in some sense :P

Anyways, I gave a null vote because I wanted to know your opinion, not mine :P

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The new method is MUCH more optimized, and a lot simpler to work with. I'm voting for that one.

7. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I use old method... usually "EUJ and Estonia " string... plain ASCII, nothing more or less. The program doesn't even care what's written

8. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    AFAIK, DOMESTIC PAL refers to Korea, as they have both PAL AND NTSC TV's so it'd make sense to have what GENS calls "Japanese PAL"

9. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Technically, the second one is the better system. That said, I prefer the first.