don't click here

3D Sonic fangame engine test

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Shadow Hog, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Gf5mHif0" target="_new">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Gf5mHif0</a>

A 3D engine by Damizean and Mark the Hedgehog, both of Sonic Fan Games HQ. Despite being a small engine test, this may be the best 3D Sonic engine I've ever played around with - just look at how the momentum works very, very much like the 2D games. Loops are obstacles that you can't go around without the right velocity (although the level design presently just lets you walk around them, but still). Practically anywhere in the level can be reached if you have the patience to build up the exact amount of momentum needed to get there. And while the level design is presently a linear path above a bottomless pit, it's opening the door for something a lot better.

Download it, play it, and spread the word - this is more like how 3D Sonic should be done.

Controls
    [*]W, A, S and D = move (think first-person shooter)
    [*]Mouse / Arrow Keys = move camera
    [*]Left Mouse Button / Spacebar = jump
    [*]Right Mouse Button / X = Hold and press jump to Spin Dash
    [*]F1 = respawn (for when you fall into bottomless pits - which WILL happen if you're goofing around)
    [*]Left Ctrl = deactivate fancy water (if your FPS is somewhat reminiscent of a decent computer trying to run Crysis at max)

Stage 2
    To run the Green Hill-esque stage, go into the Stages folder, and edit Stages.xml. Change 'stage folder="Stage1"' to 'stage folder="Stage2"' (or vice versa if you're changing it back). Save, and run the program again. You should be in the other stage when it starts up.

Credits
    [*]Damizean, Dimension Warped, Mark the Echidna, MistaED, Streak Thunderstorm, and The Taxman for creating this.
    [*]Music by Jun Senoue, remixed for Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    [*]Video by Shadow Hog; created with a trial version of FRAPS and Windows Movie Maker (because I'm too cheap to use anything better).

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It doesn't seem to handle too well. I'd think an engine that handled like Sonic Adventure would be perfect, though.

Also, that model kinda blows. What is this, chibi Sonic?

EDIT: To add to that, this isn't even working right. I start the program up and my camera is always panned underneath, and trying to rearrange the camera forces it back underneath me. What the fuck?

EDIT2: Got it working... seems there's incompatibility with joypads. This is really hard to control without one, though.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Looks like a cool variant on X-Treme and SRB2. But I have an Intel card, so things may not go well.

4. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Digg it!

Also, if you're one of those unlucky few who had that first stage look like a jumble of random polygons, redownload; Dami put up a new stage which should fix that. And add a teapot in mid-air. Don't ask me why the teapot's there, your guess is as good as mine.

Also, if the camera was too awful for your tastes, redownload as well; press F2 for a "vomit camera" (Dami's words, not mine) where the camera stays aligned with Sonic, no matter his angle. Makes running around loops quite... interesting. Also mouse wheel zooms in and out and you no longer have to turn off your joystick to run this.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I agree

6. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    This layout remains surprizingly true to the classic 2D games. Very exciting and interesting.
    Of course it needs further tweaking in all fields but this could very well turn out to be the 2D Sonic platforming going 3D.

After Gen's project being scrapped, we again have something to look forward to.
    I hope this project will get finished and that it will fulfill the promise it shows.

7. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Oh yeah, I just fav'd this video. Beautiful graphics, and awesome engine, probably the best I've ever seen in action thus far. Let's hope this one actually goes somewhere.

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    The download keeps cutting out on me, can someone minor this on something like rapidshare?

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Am I the only one who finds the weird bugs with this engine? Level 2, the half-sphere, if you go all the way up, at the end Sonic stops suddenly. He shouldn't do so, but keep the impulse and be thrown away. Thank god I'm talking to Damizean about all those issues >_>

10. Phazon

Phazon

Looks good, a few bugs here and there when sonic stops but hopefully bugs will be fixed when they complete it.

11. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    I LOVE how his nose flaps around in the wind while he's running, it's so funny.

This Sonic model is fantastic. I hope the game turns out to be great.

12. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I can see how it'd be really fun if I could get the hang of the keys

13. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    This looks great; make Sonic Robo Blast 2 look like a crappy game.

Oh wait... it always kinda... was. Come on, mismatched walking/standing sprites? ...COME ON, SPRITES?

14. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    ...Is that it? I mean, it was built off the Doom Legacy, and several Doom counterparts used sprites anyways. The fact the SRB2 has extremely diverse addon capabilites, levels that are very nonlinear, and many netplay gametypes makes the graphics a really sorry excuse not to like the game.

15. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    JESUS CHRIST WHAT WERE THEY THINKING WHEN THEY MADE OVER HALF THE SONIC GAMES

16. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    The 3D Sonic games don't use sprites.

17. Revival

Revival

The AppleTalk Network System Member
    Graphics are great, but physics fail in this fangame. It's got bad handling.

18. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yeah this is all very well, but I think they may get too caught up in the spin of what they've done so far when really they should just keep working solidly on it.

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    What do you expect? It was started even before Sonic Adventure :P Get an idea about how computers were back then. And anyways, SRB2 is really way easy to mod. I mean, there were lots of tries to make 3D Sonic fangames, there should be some reason for SRB2 to be played so much, and take into account this is the 10th aniversary. And it has a huge community behind it, and all the time new mods are made. Just think on it... Its main problem is the lag of the netgames, you need a very fast connection, otherwise...

Anyways, about the engine bugs, it seems it all has to do with level design, not the engine itself. In fact, the half sphere in the second stage has wrong normals, so the engine is really buggy in it due to reading wrong data. The engine is OK, what's wrong is the level data :P Well, the engine isn't very OK too, it's made in Blitz3D. Trust me, that lazyness from Damizean for not making his own graphics engine will cost later to him, either by making the game extremely slow or by limiting him later when adding extra capabilities (in fact, press F1 with something blocking you in the way from where you are to the start point and you'll see a really weird limitation from Blitz3D), not to mention it'll never get out from Windows.

20. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Right.

Sure, gameplay-wise, this eclipses SRB2, but not because it uses models - more because it has slopes. :)

That being said, I'd rather not knock on what Sonic Team Jr. have been up to - their game's looking hotter day by day. Besides, until this engine is a full game, I'd say SRB2 might have this beat. And even when this is a full game, SRB2's still pretty damn competent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.