don't click here

The Sixth Annual Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Well.. it's that time again. I know I said I wasn't going to do another one this year, but I apparently lied. So sue me =P I'll be solely in charge of this one this year due to the fact that no one can seem to stick around long enough to actually help me and it leaves me in a really gay position in the end.. so yah (UPDATE: changed my mind). Once again I'm looking for people that would do art for trophies.. but after six years of this I highly doubt it will happen. =P But on to the contest!

PRIZES

There will be one less trophy this year as the nature of hacking is changing and as I'm catching up on what I've been missing out on the past few years I'm realizing this more and more. Having a pretty palette gets you nowhere because we're LONG past that point right? Here are this year's trophies!

Hidden Palace Zone Trophy - Grand Prize Trophy. Winner will receive a small cash prize of some sort that can be negotiated at contests' end
    Dust Hill Trophy – Second place. Winner will also receive a small cash prize at contests end (half of negotiated first place)
    Wood Trophy – Third place
    Genocide City Trophy – This award goes to the hardest game or level
    Rainbow Trophy - hack or level with the best palette(s)
    Lava Reef Trophy – this goes to the longest level hack (based on time taken to beat)
    Green Hill Trophy – this goes to the level or game that plays most like a Sonic level or game
    Labyrinth Trophy – most confusing level
    Emerald Hill Trophy - most linear level
    1337!!! Trophy – worst Sonic hack
    1000101 Trophy – best technical hack
    Windy Valley Trophy – best original art hack
    Toxic Caves Trophy - best reused art hack
    Shadow Trophy – best Hentai-based hack -- I want another giant dong in a game =P
    WTF?! Trophy – most unique hack
    Christmas Present Trophy - most unexpected hack
    Piano Trophy - best music to level (thus it's specific to a specific level in a specific hack)
    The Super Duper Amazing Level Trophy - best level layout hack
    Eosian Sphere Trophy - best new object
    Knuckles Trophy - best new playable character
    Fang Trophy - best new enemy
    Metropolis Trophy - best new boss
    Mushroom Hill Trophy - best new miniboss (if applicable)
    Spindash Trophy - best new ability
    Eureka! Trophy - most innovative game play feature
    Replay Trophy - most innovative options feature
    Meth / Liquid Crack Trophy - most potential replayability.. by potential I'm realizing most hacks entered are incomplete and thus I'm going on the stuff already in there that would make it replayable as a fully finished game =)
    The Bar Admin Trophy - most improved previous entry or most improved over old hack

As usual, one hack can win multiple trophies and multiple hacks can be submitted by one person...

RULES

1) You will have until 12:00 AM GMT August 31st, 2008 to get all of your hacks in to me
    2) Hacks must be e-mailed as either ROMs or savestates (genecyst / gens format only). In the age of broadband, IPS is just retarded and you can attach massive files with Gmail and most other mail carriers.
    3) There are no limits on editors.
    4) New Trophies may be added or removed during the contest, although that is HIGHLY doubtful
    5) Entries may be sent in for any console, though you'll have to tell us what it is.
    6) You may reach me at [email protected] (get rid of filler) for questions and for sending hacks. You can also ask me questions in this thread
    7) The entry must be sent in as the following:

Name / Alias:
    Name of Hack:
    Game of Origin:
    Console of Origin:
    E-mail:

Links to your hack in this topic are retarded. I know I don't want to sort through 200 replies for your hack. If you want, I will be happy to take a link to your hack through e-mail... as usual, though, this will probably be ignored so I'll still look through this topic =P
    8) Updated hacks are always taken through the end of the contest. No late hacks will be accepted -- end of story
    9) Simple palette hacks are no longer allowed. Anyone can whip out a new palette in a whopping five to ten minutes and I'm sick of that shit.
    10) Rules may change at any time. Check back often.
    11) Hacks are now being rated by Ambil as well. This allows another set of opinions and also allows me to possibly offer help with other people's hacks without feeling guilty.

Anyway, that's a rap! I'm hoping to add something to spice this year's contest up some, but I haven't figured out what that is yet, so check back often!!

Ready, set, PROCRASTINATE!!

~Nayr / Ayla / Sammy

2. Flygon

Flygon

I hope to get my hack up to scrach soon and this serves as good motivation.

I find this contest very interesting indeed, expessially with the large variety of Trophys :thumbsup:.

3. Hey I'm gonna send mine in too. I edit this post with a link later.

4. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

[quote name='Oerg866' post='175209' date='Jan 4 2008, 02:02 AM']Hey I'm gonna send mine in too. I edit this post with a link later.[/quote]
    [quote name='Nayr T'nargh' post='175205' date='Jan 3 2008, 10:59 PM']Links to your hack in this topic are retarded.[/quote]

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    :disgust:
    Woah, don't rush your stuff, you've got less than 8 months to get your stuff in, by that time you'll probably have some new features in your hack.

I'll probably have something decent to show by that time, if I can get my planned features to work properly, such as the Special Stage monitor ala Sonic Triple Trouble. But hey, I've got plenty of time.

6. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    I probably won't bother. After all, if Megamix goes in here, nobody stands a chance.

Plus, my hack is currently frozen. =P

7. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Wow, it feels like no time at all since the last one.

I have a question... where did the Eggman Trophy go, and
    can you put it back please? :P

(Probably not going to happen, but it's worth a try!)

I'll definitely be entering again, though as usual I guess I won't win anything cause EE and Megamix take aaaaaaaaall the trophies now... Really, you can't expect me to beat Tweaker. ^^;;

8. Wurly

Wurly

:| Tech Member
    This calls for a Sonic in Chaotix Revision 3.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't know why you guys are discouraged from entering with Megamix in the contest. You can win everything other than first prize and the piano trophy, it's cool. =P

10. Awwww. I wanted to go for the Piano trophy :/

11. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    S1EE is being entered, again, and I'm considering entering a second hack I've been slowly working on too.. it's all very hush hush, not telling anybody what it is (yes, even you Tweaker :P) or what it's about..

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Wondering how soniNeko will look like in 8 months. Oh yeah.

13. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Please add cats.

14. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Oh? I'm feeling very confident this year that my (secret) project will shine.

And why is there no palette trophy this time 'round? That's one of my specialties. D:

15. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    Gah. It figures the year I become a member there is no Rainbow Trophy. :disgust:
    Palettes can still make or break a hack.

16. Flygon

Flygon

Yes, but just a palette hack isn't exactly much work alone. People actually want more than just pretty colors, they also want new layouts and art which also shows the author actually worked on the hack more than 10 minutes on the hack.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hmm, do Sonic Adventure DX mods count as Hacks?

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I could only imagine so... Shadow Adventure was entered a couple of years back, so you should be home free.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well if I have considerable progress on the hack by the deadline perhaps I'll enter it in for the hell of it. Haven't been working on it for too long.

20. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Readding Rainbow trophy and added a new rule. That takes care of that problem =P If someone can tell me wtf the eggman trophy was (I don't remember it) then I might add it back in.

Any other requests?