Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. The stuff that simply has no other home.

#31 User is offline Lemming 1545 

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

• : D
Hmm, another little oddity in S3&K. Unlike monitors, rocks, and most other types of breakable scenery that I can think of, Tails is capable of smashing the little ice shells in Ice Cap Zone; the ones that are sometimes placed over monitors. If you have Sonic stand on top of an empty one and then have Tails break it, Sonic will stand in the air, and you can run left and right on a horizontal axis without losing any altitude. You can also roll and such. Jumping will make you fall and hit the ground again, but as soon as the ground shifts angle you'll find yourself walking on air again. Throw slopes into the equation and you can get some pretty crazy stuff - walking through walls, climbing invisible slopes skyward, and so forth.

On a somewhat related but much less interesting note, it's possible to break the monitors inside those shells of ice without breaking the ice itself by using the little split-second shield attack that Sonic performs by pressing jump a second time in mid-air.

#32 User is offline Hayate 

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:38 AM

• Wiki edits:70

View PostLemming 1545, on Jan 21 2007, 08:10 PM, said:

Jumping will make you fall and hit the ground again, but as soon as the ground shifts angle you'll find yourself walking on air again.

Now that's interesting; I would have thought the game would fix itself as soon as you jump. Why does it remember and then make you "float" again as soon as you hit a different piece of ground?

BTW, this trick was used in the 35 minute TAS, to run through all the walls and wrap over the left edge of the act.

#33 User is offline hxc 

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

• spotteddove
  • Wiki edits:2
I just got back in contact with Christina Coffin. I am deliriously happy.

#34 User is offline Tadashi 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:28 AM

I remember doing a lot of this kind of stuff (like walking in the air in Ice Cap and so on) when I was a kid. I even had a notebook where I wrote it all up (it's still intact, back in Russia, lol). Well, there are still some things I remember, so here we go:

In Sonic 2, in some levels if you put a lot of horizontal right-faced springs in the beginning of a level, I mean one after another, and then touch them, you'll warp to the end of a level, even behind the ending sign, so it won't even activate.

Well, as you know you can alter RAM on a real console by swapping carts, you can get even debug mode in S&K alone doing this and use Hyper Sonic and Knuckles. I used Mortal Kombat II cart for the trick.

You can play as Tails in S&K alone, and even as Sonic and Tails (Slots 00 and 02), although Tails won't have tiles. But you can fix it. Just lock on S&K and S3 with an ERASED header. The game won't lock on, but S&K will use Tails tiles from S3, because of pointers.

There are even more "secret" characters besides Blue Knuckles. In the competition more there 3 more versions of Knuckles, all with different speed settings, wonder why it was implemented, probably for testing purposes. In Sonic 2, the slot 03 is messed up Tails, he uses Sonic's life icon and has a messed up collision.

Well, everybody knows that in Sonic 2 if you jump in that speedy thing in OCZ and then get yourself out via debug you will have uber speed and jumps. And even more uber if you're Super Sonic.

Also, if you place a lot of teleportation monitors and then smash 'em at once, the background will go crazy.

If you use smash a teleportation monitor while you're Super Sonic the ability of super speed and invincibility will pass to Tails, and you will be just golden and your rings will be still sucked up. But if you get hurt and then hit a teleportation box again, the "cheap" Super ability will be yours.

And the weirdest one. In S3K you can get your character to use ANY tiles. Just select an object from debug, then change back, find a special stage ring, jump in it and press B immediately so that object will be shown. When you'll come back from the special stage your character will be totally messed up, using tiles from whatever object it was.

Well, that's all I can get from my head now. Thanks for reading.

#35 User is offline Fiore 

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

• Everybody's Super Sonic Racing!
Well, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or if I'm just spouting useless information, but I've noticed that when playing Sonic 1 with a Game Genie, if you have the code for Skywalking operational, you can't go underwater in Labyrinth Zone or in Scrap Brain Zone Act 3.

Though this does raise an interesting question I've often thought about since the mention of Scrap Brain Zone Act 3; is the purple water in the Zone supposed to be the same Mega Mack chemical we see in Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone, or is it perhaps just supposed to be water polluted by the run-off the Scrap Brain Zone?

#36 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

• Wiki edits:18
...That's not an interesting question.

#37 User is offline Hez 

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
I always wondered why the hell Labyrinth Zone was gray when you were in act 4.

#38 User is offline Squints 

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

• All souped-up. And DESECRATED!
  • Project:RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostFiore, on Jan 30 2007, 10:17 PM, said:

Though this does raise an interesting question I've often thought about since the mention of Scrap Brain Zone Act 3; is the purple water in the Zone supposed to be the same Mega Mack chemical we see in Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone, or is it perhaps just supposed to be water polluted by the run-off the Scrap Brain Zone?

I always wondered why the hell Labyrinth Zone was gray when you were in act 4.

I have the answer to both of your questions:
Scrap Brain Zone Act 3/Labyrinth Zone Act 4 is actually the immense sewer system built for Robotnik, by Robotnik, and shrewdly covered up by placing a massive robot factory/base of operations over it.

#39 User is offline Fiore 

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

• Everybody's Super Sonic Racing!
That explains it. Thank you very much, Squints.

And IceKnight, it seemed an interesting question to me.

#40 User is offline Bowser 

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

• Project:Music, Art, Photography, etc
  • Wiki edits:11
I've actually tried this out not long ago, but forgot to mention about it.

Posted Image

There's a neat trick where you get in a good spot (where you have enough time to crouch and spindash) on the S3K Final Boss, do a spindash, and you'll bounce off the lazer-shooter.

#41 User is offline Sith 

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

• The molotov bitch
I always found it very funny you could get behind the final boss in S2 when he rises up and land 5 hits in a row but your jump angle needs to be perfect.

#42 User is offline Bowser 

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

• Project:Music, Art, Photography, etc
  • Wiki edits:11
Well, I'm here again with another 'bounce-back' trick.

In sonic 2...

Posted Image Spindash on Pillar.. (Charge up a few times)

Posted Image Release. (Even if robotnik is at his maximum distance before hitting the other pillar)

Posted Image Then, you're bounce back to the original pillar, where you can do it repeatedly. It works on both pillars, and actually works better on the left pillar, though I did it on the right one. It works better on left one, because, doing it on the right one, when you bounce back, you might have to move forward a bit, because if you spindash from the spot you're in when you bounce back, you'll remain there, instead of going off. The left one has no trouble with any of that. My apologies if this has been mentioned before, by the way.

#43 User is offline Taco 

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

• NintenDan
  • Project:Reclaiming my throne as sonic advance king >:O

Bowser said:

Spindash on Pillar.. (Charge up a few times)

Release. (Even if robotnik is at his maximum distance before hitting the other pillar)

Then, you're bounce back to the original pillar, where you can do it

Heh, that was the only way I ever bothered beating that boss way back then. Waiting for the arrows to come and using them as steps was tedious for me

It seems that the classic genesis games seem to be all the rage in this topic, so I hate to sort of steer the topic in a new direction (even if it might not go very far) but...

warning: long useless post ahead

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonic Advance and the infamous chao garden glitch.

I'm sure most of you have heard about this, or perhaps have even encountered it yourself. If you're troubled by it though, then you really need to find a hobby other then xtreme chao raising

But for those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a glitch that basically does not allow you to purchase anything in the chao garden, even if the ring counter displays a ring count that would normally make the purchase valid. Also, any rings you collect in levels will not add to the ring counter in the chao garden. The ring counter is in a "frozen" state. I see most of these cases on gamefaqs, there's always a new one at least once a month. I think it's safe to say that the cause of the glitch is an erased game file (as the majority of the reports I've heard about this glitch mention that they erased their game file). There is a way to resolve the glitch though. You must re-collect the number of rings currently displayed in the chao garden's ring counter. so If you deleted your game with 300 rings in the garden, then you must collect 300 rings before the counter will unfreeze.

However, I've never seen a legit or detailed explenation as to why this glitch occurs. I've come up with a conclusion of my own, though if anyone has any idea why it really does occur then please do share

From what I understand, sonic advance has two different save files in it's memory card, chip, whatever it is that saves game data. The following shows what I believe is saved in each file

File 1: Main Game Data (levels unlocked, emeralds collected, etc)
File 2: Chao Garden Data (items you've purchased, your chao, etc)

These two save files seem independent of each other (almost as if sonic advance is like two seperate games in one). If you notice however, The rings that you collect in the main game accumulate in the chao garden. Obviously, this indicates that these two save files (main game - chao garden) are actually linked together through ring count.

Before I continue rambling on further on the ring count relations between the chao garden and the main game data, it's important to note that when you choose to delete your game data from the options menu, it only deletes your MAIN GAME data. The chao garden data will remain complelty untouched, your chao will still be there (if you had one in the first place), as well as items that you've purchased and your ring counter will still display the number of rings you have. Recall however that once the main game data has been cleared, the glitch has occured.

If the chao garden's ring data locks up and becomes useless, then it means that it must have been dependant on some data from the main game save. The main game data has been deleted though! There's nothing there!

My guess is that the Main Game Data has a hidden ring counter of its own, that keeps track of the total sum of accumulated rings sonic has collected. This ring counter is equivalent to that of the chao garden ring counter. That is to say that:

Main Game Rings = Chao Garden Rings

so as long as the main game counter is equal to that of the chao garden counter, you will be able to use rings. These two values are always exactly the same under normal circumstances. so if you purchased an item in the chao garden for 30 rings, 30 rings would be subtracted from both the visible ring display in the garden, and the hidden main game counter

When you delete your game data though, everything is wiped out in the main game data, including the ring counter, yet the ring counter in the chao garden remains untouched

so now.... Main Game Rings =/= chao garden rings, because 0 =/= X, for X being the number of rings you had BEFORE you wiped out the game data

Since these two values do not equal each other, the game decides to flip a shit, and the ring counter locks up in the chao garden. Collecting X number of rings again will solve this issue, because well... X = X! and the chao garden rings don't accumulate along with the main game data rings since it's frozen up.

end long rambling that makes no sense

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh, the sonic advance games are known for having screwy memory. I've also heard stories about people turning on sonic advance 2 only to find that they have all emeralds, characters, levels, etc, but then goes away after turning it off and on again

One other thing that's interested me in sonic advance (or perhaps any other sonic game that has them for that matter) is the way the random ring containers work. I always thought that the number of rings you got from those were...well...random, but I've noticed that alot of times I will get the same number of rings when performing the same conditions in a level over and over again (ie. reaching a container by taking the same path at the same time over and over). I don't have exact data handy on me at the moment (as I never bothered really recording it down : /, and I don't have my gameboy at the moment) but it's something I would definetly like to look into, as I would really like get the maximum ring count for Sonic in neogreenhill 1

#44 User is offline Hayate 

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:16 AM

• Wiki edits:70

View PostTaco, on Feb 28 2007, 01:56 AM, said:

One other thing that's interested me in sonic advance (or perhaps any other sonic game that has them for that matter) is the way the random ring containers work. I always thought that the number of rings you got from those were...well...random, but I've noticed that alot of times I will get the same number of rings when performing the same conditions in a level over and over again (ie. reaching a container by taking the same path at the same time over and over). I don't have exact data handy on me at the moment (as I never bothered really recording it down : /, and I don't have my gameboy at the moment) but it's something I would definetly like to look into, as I would really like get the maximum ring count for Sonic in neogreenhill 1

That's simple. The amount of rings you will get from the random ring box is determined by the amount of rings you already have. The only amounts of rings you can get from the box itself are 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 40.

#45 User is offline Sakura Courage Solo 

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

• I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt!
  • Project:A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
Well, since the SQL rollback got rid of this post before, and I feel it's somewhat a vital post to attaining my membership back, I'm posting this again.

I've been listening to the song "Dreams of an Absolution" from Sonic 2006 (The version by Lee Brotherton and Jun Senoue. Please note I've not heard the other versions yet.). I noticed something familiar about the song after I listened to it a few times.

First off, when the song begins, the melody sounds like "Living in the City" from Sonic R's Radical City track. Then, when the song comes to these lyrics,

"And I might know of our future
But then you still control the past
Only you know if you'll be together
Only you know if we shall last"

It sounds a LOT like Green Hill Zone's melody from Sonic 1. Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

• 236 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users