Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. The stuff that simply has no other home.

#2536 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

• FINAL ATTACKRIDE: D-D-D-DECADE!
  • Project:Trying to figure out Sonic Heroes lighting data, anyone willing to help? D:
  • Wiki edits:5
Hell-a random observation I made just now while looking through some menu-texture-archives for Sonic Heroes:

The Sound test of the game refers to almost all stages as "Zones" (e.g. Seaside Hill Zone, Power Plant Zone, Egg Fleet Zone, etc. ) except Sea Game, BINGO Highway and Mystic Mansion. :psyduck:

No other part of the game, to my knowledge, refers to them as such.

#2537 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

• Wiki edits:136
That alleged unused track has been brought up before. It was also used in Pena der hejhog.

#2538 User is offline Sik 

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostHerm the Germ, on 24 February 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Hell-a random observation I made just now while looking through some menu-texture-archives for Sonic Heroes:

The Sound test of the game refers to almost all stages as "Zones" (e.g. Seaside Hill Zone, Power Plant Zone, Egg Fleet Zone, etc. ) except Sea Game, BINGO Highway and Mystic Mansion. :psyduck:

No other part of the game, to my knowledge, refers to them as such.
On the topic of Sonic Heroes' sound test, there's one tune (can't remember its name right now) that never appears... except during the transition animation, which for some reason its name gets rendered. Any ideas about that one? (not sure if it stops appearing with a complete sound test though, may need a partial save for it)

#2539 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
You know whats crazy? In Sonic Unleashed, after you beat the Egg Dragoon, Eggman says he would build a Prototype 2:

And you know what? HE DID. 0.o

#2540 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

• Project:Trying to figure out Sonic Heroes lighting data, anyone willing to help? D:

View PostSik, on 24 February 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

On the topic of Sonic Heroes' sound test, there's one tune (can't remember its name right now) that never appears... except during the transition animation, which for some reason its name gets rendered. Any ideas about that one? (not sure if it stops appearing with a complete sound test though, may need a partial save for it)

Looking through the texture files again, I found that there's references to songs named "Event #x" (x being a number from 9-13).
The game only displays Event tracks #9-12, though. There's textures for an "Event #13" but they are not used (in a complete save, at least).

What's even more bizarre is that, while the game displays them as tracks #9-12, the actual ADX-files in the BGM folder list them as event tracks 10-13, leaving out 9 instead. :psyduck:

#2541 User is offline Sik 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:45 AM

View PostHerm the Germ, on 25 February 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Looking through the texture files again, I found that there's references to songs named "Event #x" (x being a number from 9-13).
The game only displays Event tracks #9-12, though. There's textures for an "Event #13" but they are not used (in a complete save, at least).
Yes, this one. If you go to the event section in the sound test, when you press the back button "Event #13" will actually appear during the transition animation... at least in the PC version. Also I think the bug doesn't happen when all the event music is unlocked.

#2542 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, it didn't happen for me when I was testing it and I'm too lazy to play through enough of the respective stories in a blank save state to unlock an event track right now. :v:

Wonder what that mysterious 5th Event track would've sounded like.

#2543 User is offline Sik 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostHerm the Germ, on 25 February 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Yeah, it didn't happen for me when I was testing it and I'm too lazy to play through enough of the respective stories in a blank save state to unlock an event track right now. :v:
I think the error doesn't happen on a "complete" save because event #12 takes its place. So basically it stops happening as soon as you unlock that track.

View PostHerm the Germ, on 25 February 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Wonder what that mysterious 5th Event track would've sounded like.
More like "why the fuck don't events start at #1". What happened to events 1 to 8?

#2544 User is offline K2J 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

• YOU CAN USE A MACHINE WITH MEMORY DATA
  • Project:Not School
  • Wiki edits:8
Apparently the animators missed something when doing the post-Crisis City (Classic) cutscene in Generations. Don't click if you want to sleep tonight.

#2545 User is offline Ch1pper 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

• Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less
  • Project:Life.
  • Wiki edits:40
On the Heroes sound test:

I remember trying to map it out years ago... and my memory's fuzzy about it, but essentially, I believe every Team's opening scene (which use quick edits of their respective theme songs) count for one unnumbered event each. Additionally, the other edited versions used during Vs. Team boss battles may count as well.

Like I said, it's fuzzy, and may not line up. As well, that cutscene between Team Sonic and Team Rose doesn't have any background music, so that absence may have slipped up some staff member somewhere in development - perhaps not if this is an extra event that we've stumbled upon... Eh, I dunno. Just tossing out some thoughts for contemplation. Use or dismiss as needed.
This post has been edited by Ch1pper: 25 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

#2546 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Well, let's see, Render-cutscene music all added up, we get:

Team Intros (#1-4?), Teams Dark and Chaotix meet (#5), Fake Eggman revealed for the first time (#6?), cutscenes before the fight in the jungle (#7-#8).

I'd take a stab in the dark and say Teams Rose and Sonic meeting was to be accompanied by music originally, yeah; that might bring it up to 9 tracks if we go by the file-name order as it is in the final game.

So, I guess pre-rendered cutscenes do add to the count somehow?

On a somewhat related note, a while back, I edited the Rose/Sonic cutscene to play the Time-Eater theme to reflect the true horror Sonic feels upon seeing Amy for the lulz. :v:

EDIT: And I guess everything to do with the final boss in terms of music would come after #13, then. :V
This post has been edited by Herm the Germ: 25 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

#2547 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
So heres something interesting.

Y'all remember (or not) the TGS 2005 gameplay of sonic the hedgehog. if not:

It had a Results Screen Pose that sonic did that he never did in the final game. Well it turns out, its still in there:

Wonder just what else from earlier builds is in there. I don't think anyone has ever really dwelled into STH2006 too much. Thanks Woun, Mefiresu, and Dark Sonic for the find.
This post has been edited by Lanzer: 26 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

#2548 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak

View PostLanzer, on 26 February 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

So heres something interesting.

Y'all remember (or not) the TGS 2005 gameplay of sonic the hedgehog. if not:

It had a Results Screen Pose that sonic did that he never did in the final game. Well it turns out, its still in there:

Wonder just what else from earlier builds is in there. I don't think anyone has ever really dwelled into STH2006 too much. Thanks Woun, mephilestheD, and Dark Sonic for the find.

Lotsa beta stuff in all Sonic games, isn't there? =P
I wonder if a Sonic 2006 Fun Game Mod can be made...

#2549 User is offline Hendricks 266 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

• Wiki edits:58

View PostSonikkuForever, on 24 February 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

YouTube user raveakidd claims to have found an unused music track in the Sonic Adventure disk.

Nice!

I have doubts as to the authenticity of this track. I looked through all the ADX files from the game and this track was not among them. If it was it would have been discovered ages ago. However, I don't have a dump of the very first original Japanese version, and it may have been in there and subsequently removed. I don't know what other hiding place it would have, besides the Manatee sound archives which to date I am not sure have ever been unpacked for the DC version, or a stray AFS file.

Another curiosity is that the SCHG/SA Music wiki page has an entry for "nights_k". I don't have any trace of a "nights_k" file at all while I do have "nights_a" and "nights_s" from the DC and GC versions.
This post has been edited by Hendricks 266: 26 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

#2550 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View PostHendricks 266, on 26 February 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Another curiosity is that the SCHG/SA Music wiki page has an entry for "nights_k". I don't have any trace of a "nights_k" file at all while I do have "nights_a" and "nights_s" from the DC and GC versions.

That list was created from the list of filenames within sonic.exe from the 2004 PC port.

• 227 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users