Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 243 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. The stuff that simply has no other home.

#2506 User is offline Tiddles 

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

• Diamond Dust
  • Project:Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
  • Wiki edits:31

View PostEndri, on 28 January 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Incidentally, the second Special Stage's Chaos Emerald in Sonic & Knuckles is also orange. The second Super Emerald is also orange in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Further, neither game can quite make up its mind about the colour of that second emerald elsewhere. It's always orange on the save screen and when Knuckles knocks it out of you in Angel Island, and it's always yellow on the chaos emeralds results screen, for both variants. The only change in S&K is to the colour of the emerald within the stage itself as you pointed out.

Amusingly, if they hadn't changed it to orange within the stage, S&K alone would have been totally consistent on the use of yellow, since the emeralds aren't seen in any other context. As it is, it's as inconsistent as every other S3 variant.

The reason the special stage selection doesn't work in S&K alone is because you need debug mode to do it, for some reason. If you can poke at RAM to give yourself that power, it'll work just like the other two.

#2507 User is offline Mercury 

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:34 AM

• His Name Is Sonic
  • Project:AeStHete
  • Wiki edits:130
The Sound Test index of the bomb explosion in Sonic 1 is C4. :v:

#2508 User is offline Endri 

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

• Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. Can I give you something else?
  • Wiki edits:7

View PostTiddles, on 29 January 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

The reason the special stage selection doesn't work in S&K alone is because you need debug mode to do it, for some reason. If you can poke at RAM to give yourself that power, it'll work just like the other two.
I quite figured it, but since one can't normally enable the debug mode in S&K alone, I thought that this could go unnoticed.

View PostMercury, on 31 January 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

The Sound Test index of the bomb explosion in Sonic 1 is C4. :v:
This is funny. Never noticed it before.
This post has been edited by Endri: 02 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

#2509 User is offline Sik 

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
Does this look familiar? (6:47)

Since she demands credit: linked by Reverie on an IRC channel :v:

#2510 User is offline Mercury 

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

• His Name Is Sonic
  • Project:AeStHete
  • Wiki edits:130
^ The title screen music at 6:44 sure sounds like this midi (direct link), which - if I recall correctly - I first heard because it came packed with the first midi software I ever used, a program called Recording Session which was designed for Windows 3.1 (I think).

Ironically, at the time I heard it (this must have been 1998, 1999) I planned on putting in the Sonic fangame "Sonic 5 - The Master of Sanctuary"... which I totally never made.

Boy, does that bring back memories.

#2511 User is offline Sik 

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

Some random fact about something I did ages ago and I just remembered, regarding the Master System and Game Gear versions of Sonic 2. If you take a savestate in a title card and then load that savestate in the other version, it'll work (with a wrong palette until the level starts, but still). Looks like the title card code literally didn't change (though I'd avoid savestating during the fading since the palette code may be too different).

Did this years ago when I got fed up with the small screen of the Game Gear version and switched to the Master System version. Didn't want to lose my progress so I attempted changing the savestate extension to see if it'd work. It did o_o;

#2512 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

• Beast Boy Stahp
  • Project:Mighty No. 9 Universe,various hacking projects
  • Wiki edits:112
From what I've seen is most code is similar between the two games, the only difference is the location. After all, since the two consoles are basically the same (except for the extra colors in the GG version as opposed to the SMS) and the GG version is a "port" of the SMS version. But I'm sure you'd knew that already. :v: Everything is just shifted around a bit.

#2513 User is offline Sik 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, but it seems the title card code is practically untouched, being even in the same place. Actually, coming to think on it, the savestate was most likely taken on the vsync loop... and if that's a separate subroutine that means savestates will most likely work from pretty much anywhere (maybe except when the game is loading stuff between screens).

#2514 User is offline ezodagrom 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

A while ago I found out that forcing anti-aliasing through the graphics card drivers worked for Sonic 4 Episode 1 (PC version) only at the resolution 1280x720, and that it didn't work at any other resolution, so I thought that maybe Sonic Adventure DX (2010 PC version) could be like this.

And...forcing anti-aliasing through the graphics card drivers does work for Sonic Adventure DX (2010 PC version), but only at 640x480...unfortunately.

Comparison pictures.

No Anti-Aliasing:
Posted Image

8x Anti-Aliasing (with the Edge-Detect filter) + 16x Anisotropic Filtering:
Posted Image

In the case of Sonic 4 Episode 1, forcing anti-aliasing only works for AMD/ATI graphics cards, it doesn't work for Nvidia graphics cards, it's possible that something similar could happen for SADX.

#2515 User is offline Dissident93 

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but it seems Masaru Setsumaru was the composer for Sonic Eraser. (He was credited as Bossanova Oyz).

Just a small piece of info. : )

#2516 User is offline Espyo 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

• Project:A rhythm game - PK Rhythm (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pkrhythm/)
  • Wiki edits:22
Tiny thing this time. You know how you can Start+A in the classic games to quit after dying, if you have debug mode enabled. This even caused a glitch in Sonic VR (can't find my own post about it there). Anyway, I tried to see if you could skip to the next level in Sonic 3D after you're killed and have 0 lives. Turns out the game allows you to pause while dying, but doesn't allow you to skip the level with A.
Pretty simple, I know.

#2517 User is offline Sik 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Sonic 3D only lets you skip the level if you have control over Sonic. This has the side effect that it won't work in Panic Puppet 3 while Sonic is still falling at the beginning - it'll only work once Sonic has landed.

#2518 User is offline K2J 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

• YOU CAN USE A MACHINE WITH MEMORY DATA
  • Project:Not School
  • Wiki edits:8
Hilarious Generations oversight, replace single long-dash with double-dash:

http://www.youtube.c...5ZK0Ul1N—g#t=3s

#2519 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

• FINAL ATTACKRIDE: D-D-D-DECADE!
  • Project:Trying to figure out Sonic Heroes lighting data, anyone willing to help? D:
  • Wiki edits:5
That URL is malformed and not producing a valid YouTube video link; might wanna try and fix that.

EDIT: I'm stupid, since I usually don't read "dash" to mean horizontal lines in text. <.<
This post has been edited by Herm the Germ: 12 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

#2520 User is offline STHX 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31

View PostHerm the Germ, on 12 February 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

That URL is malformed and not producing a valid YouTube video link; might wanna try and fix that.

Replace the " — " in the video url with 2 " - - " as K2J said. The forum autocorrects this.
This post has been edited by STHX: 12 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

• 243 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Yandex