Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Cybernetic Outbreak Update/Release Thread. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 21 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Cybernetic Outbreak Update/Release Thread. Woo!

#301 User is offline Varion Icaria 

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

• He's waiting....
  • Project:S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostMarkeyJester, on 27 December 2011 - 06:29 PM, said:

I don't think the reasoning for everyone's moral dislike of your work here, is near down to the sheer fact that everyone can maintain control over Sonic 3 & Knuckles as easily, no, I believe it's more to do with what you have produced and how much you have accomplished (out of the time in which you've been working on it), in comparison to what you could have done with that time.

From one perspective, you have done quite a marvelous job with your act transitioning, using transported over data from the predecessor games, and you deserve some merrit on that part, by all means, and I for one will congratulate you for it, however, from another perspective, you haven't done anything we haven't seen or anything we would want to see. Wanting all of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2's levels in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is something extremely cliché, wanting act transitions and special Sonic 3 & Knuckles like effects transposed onto other designs is cliché, why? Because everyone has had that same idea once at some point in time, it's an obvious idea and not one that really grabs people's attention, it lacks originality, and becomes a constant irritation because you're basically re-doing something that's already done, so the shock factor bearly exists.

Another concern is the incompletion and untidy outcome of a transition and port you have produced in that video, some of the best ports or remakes we've seen in this community have always been 98%/99% complete to their name (bar a few unforeseen bugs), the best works are always kept hidden until the very last minute, they keep a healthy balance between "hard work" and "quality work", you work is hard work by all means, but it doesn't seem to have the quality people can look up to, you should strongly consider putting your hard time of work into the areas that need doing to gain that quality, when I was a kid, I wasn't impressed with the technical aspects of Sonic the hedgehog, I was more impressed with the graphics, sound and gameplay, those are the three main keys to a good game, without them, the engine means fuck all and is completely useless. Those three give your engine meaning.

What "I'm" saying (and this is my personal thought here) is that you should spend more time on the game rather than the engine, the engine is already there and made, that's why you chose Sonic 3 & Knuckles is it not? More resources to use. Spend your time on using the resources provided to create the graphics, the sound, and the game play as a whole, don't sift through trying to improve it more than it needs to be, you'll just waste your time, you won't impress or please anyone, and you won't get as much positive feedback as you so desire.

You provide a great point. I need to focus on a lot more than fine tuning my Area and Transition system I added to the engine, I've only got one level basically that has art and it's not even the final art yet. So I won't update anymore until the release which will include atleast 2 levels. I appreciate you explaining things to me better. I hope to have something nice come out soon.

#302 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Since Varion's not updating until release, I suppose I should announce I'm doing the story and some of the designs. Speaking of which:
Posted Image
As it says, it's a Pre-finalized Pencil Concept: this way I can make changes to the base design quicker then if I just outright finalized it and edited it later, cause then I'd have to refinalize it aftter redrawing because I had inked over the thing and etcetc.

Whatever, just tell me what you hate and I'll sort it, k?

#303 User is online synchronizer 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

• Wiki edits:19
It's awfully simple-looking when on its side. I have an interesting idea for an attack pattern though. Have it circle around Sonic, and after a certain amount of time, the enemy tries to dive bomb Sonic.

(Imagine one of those boo circles from Super Mario World, except it's one enemy that tracks Sonic on a circular path)

EDIT: I agree with you completely MarkeyJester...I've been trying to get Varion to work on the levels themselves first for the longest time. ha...
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 21 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

#304 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak

View Postsynchronizer, on 21 February 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

It's awfully simple-looking when on its side. I have an interesting idea for an attack pattern though. Have it circle around Sonic, and after a certain amount of time, the enemy tries to dive bomb Sonic.

(Imagine one of those boo circles from Super Mario World, except it's one enemy that tracks Sonic on a circular path)

EDIT: I agree with you completely MarkeyJester...I've been trying to get Varion to work on the levels themselves first for the longest time. ha...

You mean like the Flybot767 from Launch Base Zone, except with added circling?
And do note it's not-finalized: I'll be making it more graphically nice when I finalize and sprite the thing =P But do know your concern has been taken into accoun, I'll fix it ^^

• 21 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users