Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: THE SonED2 thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 15 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

THE SonED2 thread 2009-05-26 quickfix

#196 User is offline jman2050 

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:40 AM

• Teh Sonik Haker
  • Wiki edits:4
QUOTE (Andlabs @ Apr 13 2011, 10:11 PM)
Random question: is it possible to have word-sized object indices going up by 4? Otherwise proper Chaotix support isn't going to happen, and I don't know how to approach him about it...

He only responds to inquiries on his own forum. Ask about it there and he'll respond.

#197 User is offline Tamkis 

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

• Project:Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
  • Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (Cinossu @ Apr 13 2011, 09:25 AM)
It's simple enough to guarantee art gets imported from a pcx.

Step 1: Make sure your artwork is using the correct palette entries. Lay it out like the actual MD palette lines.
Step 2: For duplicate palette entries, make the later ones slightly different. Push a value up or down by 1 when it shouldn't be (as long as it doesn't duplicate another, obviously). Do the same with the actual palette file used by SonED2.
Step 3: Import.
Step 4: Fix those palette entries you altered.

That's it. Not hard at all.

Speaking about art, I've been trying too to get custom art working for SonED2, but for Chaotix objects. (For more info, read this thread). Until Stealth fixes the object datatype (as a word, not a byte), I won't be working on IDing objects and adding art. According to the documentation for the two newest versions of SonED2, .tga files work too for any type of art. TGA format is much more modern and more supported in computing than the depreciated .pcx filetype.

For those whom are wondering, the spritesheets for objects (or any other type of art?) must be formated in 8bit .pcx OR 8bit RLE-compressed .tga, according to an error I once got from SonED2. Moreover, the background color must be R:255 G:192 B:255 (a pink).

The closest I can get with modern software for my spritesheets is 16bit .tga, which causes color issues with my objects. I am using Pixillion Image Converter. Anyone know of any modern software that can convert an image into 8-bit RLE .tga, preferably .bmp s? Photoshop, Paintshop, and GIMP don't seem to convert my images into this subtype of .tga ...

#198 User is offline jman2050 

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

• Teh Sonik Haker
  • Wiki edits:4
I'm not having any problems with Chaotix object editing...

Maybe Stealth justs multiplies/divides the object index by 4 when saving/loading? That seems like the logical way to go.

QUOTE (Tamkis @ Apr 14 2011, 07:55 PM)
The closest I can get with modern software for my spritesheets is 16bit .tga, which causes color issues with my objects. I am using Pixillion Image Converter. Anyone know of any modern software that can convert an image into 8-bit RLE .tga, preferably .bmp s? Photoshop, Paintshop, and GIMP don't seem to convert my images into this subtype of .tga ...

Graphics Gale? Irfanview?
This post has been edited by jman2050: 14 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

#199 User is offline Spektacular 

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

QUESTION TIME :D
So, whenever I do anything in SonED2 to the Sonic 1 disassembly's .sep files, and build the rom, everything will be gone.
Like. I open SonED2 and select the GHZ1 .sep file. Then, if I change ANYTHING, even moving an object one pixel, save the .sep, run build.bat, and load and begin the game,
Sonic will just fall to his death. No level art, backgrounds or anything. Just a blue screen with the HUD and Sonic. Who falls to his death.
What am I doing wrong here?

#200 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
There may be some writing issues, where do you have your SonED 2?

#201 User is offline Spektacular 

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostIrixion, on 26 January 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

There may be some writing issues, where do you have your SonED 2?

I have a folder called "Hack"
So the folder structure is like this:
[Hack]
   [SonED2]
   [Disassembly]
     [SonED2 Project files]
This post has been edited by Spektacular: 27 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

#202 User is offline D.A. Garden 

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

• Wiki edits:44
I ran into an issue quite a while back that concerns the Sonic 3 and Knuckles disassembly where the save format that SonED2 uses for the layout files caused some unwanted problems. See here for more details: http://stealth.hapis...ic.php?f=2&t=61
I couldn't see much of a way round this myself (being as technically illiterate as I am) but after some discussion with MarkeyJester, I present to you:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles: Layout Padder by MarkeyJester

To use it, simply drag and drop a layout file from a Sonic 3 and Knuckles disassembly onto the program. This handy program will pad the header of Sonic 3 and Knuckles layout files after they have been saved in SonED2, allowing them to work properly in an assembled rom. Just remember that if you save a layout in SonED2 again, you then have to re-apply the layout padder.

Enjoy; and a big thanks to MarkeyJester for this tool.
This post has been edited by D.A. Garden: 12 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

#203 User is offline TehKaker 

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hello people.
First of all, I'm sorry for bumping this topic up. But, as this topic is pinned, and this topic has been bumped many times before, I guess there are no problems.

I'm with a big issue: SonED2 closes inmediately after I try to open the file browser to open a file. I get no error messages, no nothing.
I'm getting this problem after I had to format my PC, with Windows 7 (x64) as the OS.

Is there any solution for this problem?
Thanks.

#204 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

• Project:Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  • Wiki edits:6
Thanks Stealth for my problem earlier. I know it was a confusing time on IRC.

Also he said that Retro doesn't have the most up to date version of SonEd 2?

#205 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Any way to change the collision tile colors for exporting chunks?
Its hard to see collision tiles that are black on black backgrounds >__<
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 21 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

#206 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1
That's a great idea for level editors! Consider it stolen! :P BTW I hope MainMemory considers this as well... SonLVL could definitely benefit from this.

#207 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
You could also simply change the background color (first color of the third palette line). I should probably allow exporting chunks with neither the high or low planes visible for collision purposes though.

#208 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63

View PostTehKaker, on 28 February 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Hello people.
First of all, I'm sorry for bumping this topic up. But, as this topic is pinned, and this topic has been bumped many times before, I guess there are no problems.

I'm with a big issue: SonED2 closes inmediately after I try to open the file browser to open a file. I get no error messages, no nothing.
I'm getting this problem after I had to format my PC, with Windows 7 (x64) as the OS.

Is there any solution for this problem?
Thanks.

I'm having the same issue. Screenshot of crashing. Running Windows 8.1 x64.
This is kind of bad, since I need to do something Chaotix-related, and SonED2 is the only tool that can do it.

#209 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I seem to recall someone had the same problem once, caused by TortoiseSVN. Do you have any shell extensions installed?

#210 User is offline Thorn 

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 Retro Remix
  • Wiki edits:33
I had this problem in the past, and couldn't find an answer for months until FraGag helped me look into it. It was indeed TortoiseSVN. We solved it by getting rid of C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\crshhndl.dll (if you used the default installation path, of course — I renamed the file to crshhndl2 for safekeeping), after which everything worked perfectly.

• 15 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users