Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: THE SonED2 thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 15 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

THE SonED2 thread 2009-05-26 quickfix

#16 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

• Project:Sonic Megamix, SonED2, Engine02, [...]
  • Wiki edits:19

BadCopNoDonut, on Sep 9 2006, 09:47 PM, said:

[SonED1 Stuff]

That's not exactly a very detailed description of the problem (you didn't specify any details on re-creating the problem, and you didn't clarify which part of the editor you were using). The only problem I can re-create that sounds similar to what you're describing is in the tile editor, when drawing 16x16 blocks onto the 128x128 chunks, which causes the blocks to be drawn at an offset from the pointer, rather than at the block position you're pointing to. It has to do with the ability to view/edit different parts of Sonic 1's 256x256 chunks within the 128x128 viewing window. It wasn't supposed to affect Sonic 2, but although it doesn't affect the offset it's drawn at, it does affect the editing offset. If you press/bump the arrow keys for any reason, and this happens, count how many blocks away from the cursor's position the block was drawn or the selection was made, and press whatever arrow key will move it back toward the cursor that many times (If yours are being drawn 3 below, press up 3 times). Alternatively, you can just press up and left about a million times or until you feel comfortable if you can't/don't want to count. The offset won't move beyond zero

If that isn't your problem, I can't imagine what it would be. All I know is that original SonED is filled with bugs and errors, some of which I still haven't been able to re-produce for myself, and I don't trust it. That's one of the reasons I made SonED2. I don't really know how anyone can still like SonED better.. the only thing it has going for it is that it hardly takes any brains whatsoever to change a few colors, quickly throw a few mis-matched tiles together, save, and parade the resulting ROM around like you're some kind of genius

#17 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4

This has to do with SonED1, but I figured I'd put it in here anyway. How come it sometimes messes up to where when I try to draw a tile, it draws it like 3 tiles down or 2 tiles down from where I actually want it to go? I have to save, then exit, then reload SonED to get it back to normal, and it seems like after every few minutes, I have to do this again. Is there anything I can do to get it to not do this? (And before you say use SonED2, I can figure out how to use it, but I personally just outright prefer SonED1.)

The small arrows at the top-left of the 128x128 tile editor can be used to correct this. There are also keyboard keys that can change this, but I don't recall what keys they are.

You probably get this problem by accidental pressing these keyboard buttons.

#18 User is offline BadCopNoDonut 

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:39 PM

• O RLY?
  • Project:Sonic D T
  • Wiki edits:3
Yeah, that solves the problem. Thanks guys.

#19 User is offline Rockman Zero 

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

• Hello there, my little friend.
  • Project:Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
  • Wiki edits:6
Is there a way that I can show the pre-existing level art on SonED2?

#20 User is offline Varion Icaria 

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

• He's waiting....
  • Project:S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
  • Wiki edits:1
Edit: Nevermind already Stated.
This post has been edited by R. Solaris: 11 September 2006 - 10:16 PM

#21 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

R. Solaris, on Sep 11 2006, 10:21 PM, said:

Rika Chou, on Sep 10 2006, 07:36 PM, said:

This has to do with SonED1, but I figured I'd put it in here anyway.  How come it sometimes messes up to where when I try to draw a tile, it draws it like 3 tiles down or 2 tiles down from where I actually want it to go? I have to save, then exit, then reload SonED to get it back to normal, and it seems like after every few minutes, I have to do this again.  Is there anything I can do to get it to not do this?  (And before you say use SonED2, I can figure out how to use it, but I personally just outright prefer SonED1.)

The small arrows at the top-left of the 128x128 tile editor can be used to correct this. There are also keyboard keys that can change this, but I don't recall what keys they are.

You probably get this problem by accidental pressing these keyboard buttons.

The arrow keys up and down affect the 128x128 draw scroll so you could Re-align it with the arrow keys.

Um, why are you restating that? Stealth already responded with all the info you'll need... No need to waste posts restating what was just said a post above you.

#22 User is offline TeRaByTe88 

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

uhm yeah downloaded SonEd2 today and decompressed sonic 1... I went to open GHZ1.sep and it gave me a windows error and closed... what could be the problem

#23 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

I find it difficult to make SonED2 actually crash and generate "a windows error", especially under such simple circumstances. I have been trying, and I can't. If that's really all you did, then you must have some sort of system problem, because even if you didn't follow the instructions on getting GHZ to display, all that would happen is that it would display garbage in place of the level (The RAM has already been allocated). If the game data files do not exist in the right place, it will create "blank" versions in RAM. If the object def file does not exist in the right place, you will be told by a program-specific message (not "a windows error"). If that's NOT all you did, and/or the error you recieved does NOT actually have the word "Windows" in it, then it's very dumb to think that someone can help you when you give them such little information

#24 User is offline Rockman Zero 

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

No one's responded to my message yet. :) How do I get the level art for S3K to show up?

#25 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

View PostRockman Zero, on Sep 28 2006, 10:18 AM, said:

No one's responded to my message yet. :) How do I get the level art for S3K to show up?

Your original question was unclear, and this one isn't much better. Sonic 3 levels aren't supported. If you're trying to edit Sonic 3, you're out of luck. If you're trying to move Sonic 3 art to Sonic 2, load Sonic 2 into original SonED, load a Sonic 3 save-state of the level with the art you're after, use File>Read Save-State>All, and then use File>Write Data>File>All. A bunch of ".dat" files that start with the letters "S2" will have been created. Copy "S2Block.dat", "S2Chunk.dat", and "S2Tile.dat" to your Sonic 2 project and rename them to replace the block, chunk, and tile data for the level you're editing. SonED doesn't load palettes from save-states, so you have to extract that from Sonic 3 or from the save-state manually. Now use SonED2 to open the project who's files you modified, and you have Sonic 3 tiles in a Sonic 2 level. Alternatively, make a PCX image of the tiles you want to use, import them using SonED2's tile/block/chunk import feature, and build the larger parts and apply solidity manually. The first method is not covered in SonED or SonED2's documentation, but this one is

#26 User is offline Rockman Zero 

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

View PostStealth, on Sep 28 2006, 12:44 PM, said:

View PostRockman Zero, on Sep 28 2006, 10:18 AM, said:

Your original question was unclear, and this one isn't much better. Sonic 3 levels aren't supported. If you're trying to edit Sonic 3, you're out of luck. If you're trying to move Sonic 3 art to Sonic 2, load Sonic 2 into original SonED, load a Sonic 3 save-state of the level with the art you're after, use File>Read Save-State>All, and then use File>Write Data>File>All. A bunch of ".dat" files that start with the letters "S2" will have been created. Copy "S2Block.dat", "S2Chunk.dat", and "S2Tile.dat" to your Sonic 2 project and rename them to replace the block, chunk, and tile data for the level you're editing. SonED doesn't load palettes from save-states, so you have to extract that from Sonic 3 or from the save-state manually. Now use SonED2 to open the project who's files you modified, and you have Sonic 3 tiles in a Sonic 2 level. Alternatively, make a PCX image of the tiles you want to use, import them using SonED2's tile/block/chunk import feature, and build the larger parts and apply solidity manually. The first method is not covered in SonED or SonED2's documentation, but this one is

Sorry. I was wanting to see if the art in Sonic 3 would show up in SonED2. I was wanting to port some level art from Crackers and Chaotix, but I guess I can't do that?

#27 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

Sonic 3 art to Sonic 2 would be done as I told you. Chaotix/Crackers art to Sonic 2 can't be done with SonED/SonED2 unless you use SonED2 to import the art from an image and rebuild the solidity manually. Chaotix/Crackers art to Sonic 3 can't be done at all with SonED2 because SonED2 doesn't support Sonic 3

#28 User is offline Caitlin 

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

• Burning with revenge
  • Wiki edits:35

SonED2 doesn't support Sonic 3

Just for clarification... Sonic 3 wouldn't work at all in SonED2, even if you split all the files needed?

#29 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:16 AM

View PostMenodix, on Sep 30 2006, 09:03 AM, said:

SonED2 doesn't support Sonic 3

Just for clarification... Sonic 3 wouldn't work at all in SonED2, even if you split all the files needed?

I imagine not, more than likely due to the moduled Kosinski compression on the mappings/art not being fully cracked yet, and thusly support would be limited/incomplete, and not worth implementing until it could be entirely feasable.

#30 User is offline TeRaByTe88 

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

I find it difficult to make SonED2 actually crash and generate "a windows error", especially under such simple circumstances. I have been trying, and I can't. If that's really all you did, then you must have some sort of system problem, because even if you didn't follow the instructions on getting GHZ to display, all that would happen is that it would display garbage in place of the level (The RAM has already been allocated). If the game data files do not exist in the right place, it will create "blank" versions in RAM. If the object def file does not exist in the right place, you will be told by a program-specific message (not "a windows error"). If that's NOT all you did, and/or the error you recieved does NOT actually have the word "Windows" in it, then it's very dumb to think that someone can help you when you give them such little information

well the error message says ERROR.. SonEd2 has encountered a problem and needs to close we are sorry for this inconvenience then your options are send error report and don't send... hope that helps
This post has been edited by TeRaByTe88: 01 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

• 15 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users