Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: New Sonic 1 boss info? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

New Sonic 1 boss info? Portugese Video

#76 User is offline Neo 

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

• Bitter Old Coot
  • Project:Sonic 3 Complete
  • Wiki edits:1

QJimbo, on Dec 20 2005, 03:02 AM, said:

Don't they speak Portugease in Brazil? Maybe from there and actually PAL-M which is 60hz a.k.a. 30fps?

Yes, "they" do, but there's a great difference in the accent (aswell as some words and expressions) between Portuguese and Brazilian portuguese. Kinda like British and American english. That's a portuguese ad, if I've ever seen one. I even recognize the voice-over, he's the same guy which dubbed all the Mega Drive ads and some Saturn ones :lol:

#77 User is offline Varion Icaria 

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:26 PM

• He's waiting....
  • Project:S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
Even if the ball is dubbed it'll still a wonderful idea to implement into a hack.

#78 User is offline LOst 

• Sonic 2 HD - Lead Programmer
  • Wiki edits:2

ICEknight, on Dec 20 2005, 03:14 AM, said:

Time to do the Sonic math to see if this is possible. Imagine the diamond is always 16x16 pixels big, even when rotated. That means 4 cells per frame. 16 frames per rotation. 64 rotation states (90 degrees).

4 * 16 * 64 = 4096. That's 150% of VRAM. Remember that the level art takes 46.8% of VRAM, and SAT, HSCROLL, and SCROLL A/B must fit VRAM too.

Or let say this is animated pattern just like the big ring. Uncompressed pattern takes 32 bytes per cell. 32 * 4 * 16 * 64 = 131072 bytes or 131 kb. That's 26% of Sonic 1's ROM size.

You are welcome to correct my math if needed.

You'd just need to update the diamond, and only when it reaches the sides, so it wouldn't need that much space. Also, the diamond might be a 16x16 sprite, but made with 4 parts that can be flipped and mirrored.
To sum up, you'd just need to rotate an 8x8 part of a diamond, plus those (two?) frames for the diamond when it disappears from one side, which could be just mirrored when it appears from the other side.

But anyway, I'm sure there must be a much easier way to do it...

From what I see in the footage, the diamond may only have three different animations: horizontal, diagonal and vertical, just like Sonic, so it might be even possible to load all of its graphics directly into the VRAM. In the video you can barely see how the first time it rotates it goes horizontally, the second time it goes from the top-left side to the bottom-right position of the ball, and the third time it starts on top of it but then (once it reaches a certain angle) it changes its vertical movement for the diagonal one and goes again to the same place at the bottom-right.

Sorry ICEknight. You have to look at every frame of the diamond to really see what is going on. During the first appearance of the diamond, if you mirror the diamond, it won't fit! It's rotating all the time! Mirror is impossible then, even half the diamond.

You have to take screen grabs or every diamond position and compare them like I did, to realize this is too complicated to do without rotating hardware support.

#79 User is offline Varion Icaria 

• He's waiting....
  • Project:S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
Edit: Board error double post.
This post has been edited by R. Solaris: 19 December 2005 - 11:27 PM

#80 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:30 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:MDEM - Genesis programming stufz
  • Wiki edits:3
Not necessarily. Since the diamond is symmetrical, you only need one half of the tiles pre-rotated, should you choose to go that way - just use the hardware tile flipping bits to get the second half of the rotation. If ICEknight is correct and there are only three rotation states (hard to tell as of now, because of shit video), then it would severely lessen the amount of VRAM and CPU time used. For the horizontal rotation, use the X flipping bits. For vertical, use the Y flipping, and for the diagonal situation, use both.

#81 User is offline RattleMan 

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:53 AM

• Wiki edits:122
EDIT: Never mind. I was looking at Rlan's isolation of the ball when I posted this. The entire thing actually moves.

OLD POST:

Anyone notice that when the ball reaches its highest swing point (right behind the "RINGS"), it seems to move to the right a few pixels before coming back down? Odd...
This post has been edited by RattleMan: 20 December 2005 - 01:59 AM

#82 User is offline Hez 

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:49 AM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
Its probebly a video edit.....of course they did say that the ball sonic was suposed to run on made a nice home to robotniks wrecking ball.....

#83 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:36 PM

• roxoring your soxors
Ok, small update on the video - I haven't found the actual tape yet, but I did get a response from a guy who game me a RapidShare link to a 352x288x25fps video, so it looks like whoever encoded it for RetroJunk fucked it up and turned it into NTSC. Here's my thread at RetroJunk, and there's a download link. Excerpt from thread:

"Sparrow X" said:

Hi!

In the first place I submitted the megadrive portuguese commercial, and that ball from the GHZ3 is from the pal version.

If you wanna have the video (the video isnīt tag with "retrojunk.com"), here it is in via Rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.de/files/9498819/Megadri...uguese.mpg.html

You can change what you want to do!

Sparrow X

Of course, I asked about an "original" tape and I also mentioned that this is the only record we have of such a ball in GHZ3.
This post has been edited by LocalH: 20 December 2005 - 12:41 PM

#84 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:39 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
Can someone upload that video somewhere else, rapidshare is telling me I've already downloaded 28MB and that's my limit or something =/ Still lets hope you can get the original tape LocalH and do a really high-resolution cap :thumbsup:

#85 User is offline Dioxaz 

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:46 PM

• Project:Sonic Rush No Vocal
Now, it's clear, that ball no longer seems to be covering the platform, for me:
Posted Image

QJimbo, you can try here, I re-uploaded the file.

#86 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:59 PM

• roxoring your soxors
Posted Image

Posted Image

Reposted for easy comparison. In a bit, I'll do like I did before and clip out just the frames. The first frame seems to be an I frame, so I should be able to do it 100% losslessly and just keep it in MPEG-1.
This post has been edited by LocalH: 20 December 2005 - 07:02 PM

#87 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:00 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
Ah that's much clearer! Thanks for uploading that Dioxaz :)

EDIT: That half overlapping ball looks like the kind of sprite limit corruption you get when you half stand in water in LBZ.
This post has been edited by QJimbo: 20 December 2005 - 07:02 PM

#88 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

• roxoring your soxors
Red ball frames only (352x288x25fps, MPEG-1, 424240 bytes)

#89 User is offline Mama Luigi 

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

• Can't complain.
  • Project:Mystery something game
Wow. That ball is huge. Obviously, the video shows an early prototype version of the game.

#90 User is offline ThunderPX 

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:37 PM

• Project:Being stumped by the beginnings of ROM hacking in an attempt to translate a game
  • Wiki edits:20

every_name_was_taken, on Dec 29 2005, 01:31 PM, said:

Wow. That ball is huge. Obviously, the video shows an early prototype version of the game.

Yeah, we got that bit.
Also,

every_name_was_taken

Hmmm...

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users