don't click here

Third Annual Hacking Contest Results!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Well... I'm back from Defcon (the largest hacking convention in the world that took place just this past week) and I can now post the results! The hacks that we received were few, but they were all very good hacks and I enjoyed playing all of them ^^

Here we go!

??? Zone Trophy ???? - Dude with Shadow Adventure!

This game was simply amazing... I remember the first Sonic Adventure hack that I got in the first contest from grap3fruitman and it's amazing how far we've come with the reverse engineering of this game since then. The palettes were beatiful and the various tweaks to the level layout added a new challenge that wasn't in the original... Simply incredible...

Dust Hill Trophy - Sonic Hachelle-Bee's Sonic 2 Long Version

This hack has come SOOOOO far since the last contest. The new level layouts are beautiful and with the inclusion of the all original Genocide City Zone this was a very close contender with Dude's hack. If it hadn't been for the novelty of a Sonic Adventure hack, this would have been a sure fire winner... I'll say MUCH more about this hack later on, as it won multiple trophies =)

Wood Trophy - Shadowfire's Sonic: The Lost Land 2

The mp3s in this game were a nice add on to the levels themselves which had a great variety of palette changes. I think this'll be a really good hack when all's said and done

Rainbow Trophy - Sonic Hachelle-Bee's Sonic 2 Long Version

Another trophy won by SHB, Sonic 2 Long Version had a wide variety of palette changes... most notably with the change between a desert and winter level in the Desert Zone hack. This is something I'd expect from Sonic and Knuckles -- not a Sonic 2 hack... so this definately gets the Rainbow Trophy.

Piano Trophy - Sonic 1 and 2 Megamix, Netrogic High Zone

Tweaker's hacks had BEAUTIFUL music and I can't just ignore that. The music trophy goes to all of the hacks listed above ~.^

WTF?! Trophy - Sanik the Hedgehog Too

Heran Bago got this one, too... Sanik is absolutely the WORST game I have ever played >,< It's fucking disgusting.

...and that made it unique. It was the weirdest hack I got... *shrugs*

2337!!! Trophy - Sanik the Hedgehog Too

I don't believe this requires any explantion after my rant above =P

Super SDuper Amazing Level Trophy - SHB with Genocide City

Technically we didn't have this trophy... but that level was just fucking kick-ass. I loved it last time and I love it this time =)

Mini Trophy - Sonic the Fighter

This was the only gba hack submitted, so it wins by default ^^;;;

Lava Reef Trophy - Wood Zone (SHB)

SHB managed to turn Wood Zone into a long labyrinth of confusion and paths... this level took me the longest to get through, thus it receives the Lava Reef Trophy

Labyrinth Trophy - Desert Zone (SHB)

...however, the most confusing level with various dead end paths goes to the Desert Zone hack from Sonic 2 Long Version. What an absolutely beatuiful job... a perfect labyrinth >=)

Green Hill Trophy - Wood Zone (SHB)

Once again, another win by SHB... Wood Zone played surprisingly like a long Sonic level combining elements from the Sonic 3 styled levels into the Sonic 2 focus on speed. A perfect balance =)

Genocide City Trophy - Desert Zone (SHB)

Yah... this level was pretty fucking hard. You know why? Because I got lost so much I almost got a time over <.< Which is rather embarassing to admit, but I was lost. Utterly lost... I wandered in circles in the first dead end for four minutes -_-

Amy Trophy - Sonic: The Lost Land 2

The palettes were pretty and so was the music... the whole game, although not modified heavily yet, was rather pretty =)

1000101 Trophy - Shadow Adventure

Sonic Adventure hacks are a rather new frontier as far as hacking goes, so this gets the tech trophy for this contest =)

windy valley - SHB (GCZ and Wood zone)

The edits to the palettes, palette changes, level layout, new art, etc gave these levels a wonderful feel... they were so intricate and detailed... the paths and ideas behind the layouts so unique. I loved it. Windy Valley is the perfect comparison to these levels =) Lots of eye candy.

Well... that's it for this contest. Some trophies were left out due to people not making hacks that fit them or for the sheer fact that the trophy was not needed due to the lack of entries. I hope you all enjoyed this contest and I'll be releasing the rules and such for the next one in about a month! Thankyou to all our participants and hackers and the people that make such things with these games possible. Have a great night everyone!

~Nayr

2. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Wow, It would seem that SHB and Dude pretty much won life. Excellent job guys.

Umm, I think I made Newtrogic High Zone. And it's not very much of a change from the original, so I think Sonic 1 or 2 Megamix would be taking this trophy. I personally like 2 best.

Well didja play it? =P.

Hahaha. Awesome.

I'm sure that everyone who entered had fun making their hacks, which is really why it wouldn't bother me if there were no results. And of course, we're all in this for the fun... right?... I mean common, Sonic Advance 3: EM.
    'nuff said.

3. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Heh... I hope the MP3's you used were the revised ones, mainly from the Sonic X OST. If not, meh... no biggy.

My palettes are pretty? The whole game is pretty? Heh... Gee, thanks! I can't wait to show everyone the next release demo. It will take the cake, and eat it too! (At least I hope it will...)

I'm glad you enjoyed it though! ^_^

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I should've submitted Sonic Chaotix for something. I'm sure I would've got extra credit for what's in my sig.

*coughs*

5. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    What's a beautiful surprise after my one week holidays!
    I can't count how many trophies I won. Thank you very much!

It seems I'm going in the right way.
    This hack actually, was only a very small preview of what the next version will be. I say, you have saw only 10% of it, Samantha. Only Lost Wood zone (not Wood zone!) is fully a part of the next release. Even this level isn't entirely completed yet... Yes, I entered the contest only to see if I'm going in the right way. The results and the comments are far better that all I expected, and now, all that I want to do is to make this hack again better.

Thank you again. ^_^

EDIT: BTW, new screenshots of Lost Wood zone available here.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Weyhey! I won the piano trophy! What a suprise. =P

You should hear and see my latest build. I made a few nice changes that make it a lot better. ;P

7. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    I can't wait for the next one, I've got something up my sleeve this time..

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I guess that means Tohaka is coming with a new release, eh? =P

9. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I think I'll be ready for the next one as well.

10. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I think you will be too...

*eyes signature with much anicipation*

11. Superlocke

Superlocke

Pending Member
    >_>;; I really do wanna try that Project Chaos game, looks very nice just from those screens!

hmm...guess it's time to hunt down some of these hacks ^.^

12. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    ... Huge ass bump... You shouldn't really post in a topic that wasn't touched for at least 2 weeks...

13. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    You can't bump a pinned topic =P

14. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    The last post was back in august, and then the next in November. Not as bad as bumping a normal topic, but.... Well, you get my point. Nevermind.

Or, instead of just posting, you could use the search button, no?