Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Hacking Contest 2017 RESULTS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Hacking Contest 2017 RESULTS Find out who won some trophies here!

#16 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

• The Tool
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193

View PostMainMemory, on 27 November 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

I will say again, there should be a section of the website (and a copy in the media team pack) dedicated to explaining how to set up and use the various mod loaders for PC games (Mania and S&KC count too!), and also links to all the MSVC x86 redists from 2010-2017. Streamers should verify that the mods work before they start streaming (even just checking the mod loader's debug log would suffice), and they should be made aware of any nonstandard prerequisites or setup procedures (eg Lantern Engine, Physics Swap).

This is a good idea and will be looked at for next year, especially for the non-3D stuff too as I'm sure some people would like to see some recommended emulators as well on the page.

I am also going to get a separate setup box that people can fill in next year for anything additionally that they'd need to do in order to play the game, so these issues do show up.

Also, usually the media panel are given a download pack with all the entries and text files with what's on the entry pages. Unfortunately given that it was a new site that a lot of stuff wasn't implemented, the text files weren't included, but they will for next year.

#17 User is offline Jay 

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

The contest this year was exciting and well-advertised. I gave more than 1/2 the entries a good test run and found an annoying common issue in all-but one that I tried (which did not win top trophy but, thankfully, took another prize): they were all unfinished.

Everyone seemed to have a fine level one, but then came the broken levels and infinite loops, the unfinished levels, horrible block noise, and other programmer's-worst-nightmare-type things. One submission gave me a three-byte error code when it broke! And only one featured a debug screen upon startup--a real asset for a QA tester (thanks! by the way...) For 2018, y'all ought to require submissions to be substantially complete.

#18 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:38 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
For one thing, how do you define "substantially complete"? It may take several years for a hacker to be able to fully flesh out their ideas, and in that time, they may become unable or unwilling to work on it further.

Perhaps what people could do is create special demo builds for the contest that block off areas that are not yet completed (something I've done myself in the past) and impose a 1-minute time limit, just to be safe.

#19 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

• The Tool
A reminder to get your feedback in, need it by the end of this Sunday.

All Contest entries will receive evaluations from judges very shortly, they have not been forgotten about, just got to get them on the website along with a few other fixes.

#20 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46

View PostMainMemory, on 27 November 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

View PostDario FF, on 27 November 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

View PostMorph, on 26 November 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

That, and it sucks to get shit on by contest staff who misunderstand prerequisites and accuse me of "just showing off [my] technical prowess" live, on-stream.

I'm definitely concerned about that and would ask you to report it to Spanner immediately if that was the case on where and when it happened.

The first problem, is that Donnie decided he needed to read out the list of prerequisites for the mod on stream, which was completely unnecessary. The second problem, is that Super Egg decided that "d3d8to9" just meant "directx" and Morph was just using technical terms to show off. The third problem is that when I clarified in the stream chat, I got told that "nobody cares".

It starts around 2:22:24 in Johnny's Day 1 Stream.

Heaven forbid I make a fucking joke. Holy fucking shit, you people have the thinnest of skin...

#21 User is offline Morph 

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:51 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
Joke?

DirectX

No, that was a clear assumption. That's really just what got things going though.

Because [...] language jargon

Sure, I believe you (honestly). You were actually the least of my concern there to be honest; originally I couldn't tell who was talking as I was doing other things while listening. But nice way to respond, I guess?

#22 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
I'm with Morph on this one. The instructions of his entry page are pretty clear and concise on what needs to be done, so there was no need for assumptions that'd just complicate the setup further. There's also hardly any technical jargon there, that's just the name of the program. Nobody takes kindly to jokes on frustrating situations like that, so context is important.

Let's just agree to get the media panel to do the troubleshooting first for the more complex entries if possible and all of this should go much more smoothly next year.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 29 November 2017 - 05:39 AM

#23 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Yeah, with Morph's mod it is pretty easy to load up. I screwed up in the trailer because of two reasons:

1) I didn't get given any instructions and I was on a strict time limit (yes, I now know there's a SRetro topic here but I didn't know at the time)
2) I loaded up every mod from the mod loader by Morph... not realising the Lantern Engine was under the author "hax" so I never loaded it properly! Being a lighting modification, I thought I was just being blind and went with it.
3) I didn't know about the d3d8to9 thing at the time either.

When the contest started and I saw the instructions and noticed it was under "hax". I loaded it up and all was good. And I kept my promise by showcasing the Lantern Engine first on my stream :)

#24 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
Hello.

I'd like to remind everyone to leave their feedback regarding this year's contest with the evaluation form here (will be closed this Sunday).
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 02 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

#25 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

• The Tool
Sorry for the delay, had expected the evaluations of entries from the judges to be on the site by now but that hasn't happened yet so since people have been asking, here is the Google Drive folder.

It is still the intention to add these to the site when there is time.

#26 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Yep, that's about what I expected, Clownacy, Dario FF, and TwilightZoney are the only judges who judged all four of the PC-based entries. At least they had a lot to say about each of them. I find it amusing that Selbi apparently does not own a PC with which to play the PC port of Sonic 2 though. Yes, I know he meant he didn't have a 3DS, but that's a flimsy excuse when there's a PC version available also.

And then there's Mania mods being universally sidelined to the expo, when in any other year, or in any other game, something like Aurora Garden would have been allowed into the contest without question.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 09 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

#27 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

• The Tool
We will be allowing Mania mods for next year's contest, just got to sort out quality control criteria for that as well as 3D entries.

#28 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds
Oh shoot, right, forgot to crosspost this.

Just to add some context to my evaluations, here's the order I judged the entries in:
  • Sonic Chaos Quest Ultimate
  • Sonic 1: Colors Edition (SHC2017 Demo)
  • Sonic Double Dash
  • Sonic & Ashuro
  • SADX Lantern Engine
  • Achi (AKA another trend in gaming that is slightly annoying and ultimately pointless)
  • Sonic 1 - Comet Edition v2.1
  • Mr. Cat's 16 day challenge!
  • A Rushed Sonic Hack
  • Sonic 1 Dragon Edition
  • Sonic 3 Chaos Adventure
  • Sonic Legacy
  • Classic Pantufa the Cat DX
  • Sonic 2: Zen Island
  • A generic Sonic 1 ROMhack
  • Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - DX Edition
  • Heroes Mod Loader & Tweakbox (Tech Demo)
  • Sonic Redux (Character Demo)
  • Tails Adventure X-L
  • Metal Sonic Rebooted
  • Sonic Egg Factory ReMastered
  • Sonic 1 Back to South Island (SHC17 Demo)
  • Sonic Halloween

I used a random number generator to select which hack to judge next. The idea is that, in my experience, a judge will get more tired and harder to impress as they play more entries, so I may be too easy on early entries (probably Sonic Chaos Quest Ultimate), and too harsh on later ones (especially Metal Sonic Rebooted). Same goes for evaluation length: Chaos Quest got a pretty massive one, but they got shorter as I went through the rest of the entries. Playing in a random order meant I at least wasn't putting certain hacks at a disadvantage because of where they lied in alphabetical order.

Hopefully this list will put a few things into perspective, and explain any inconsistencies.

#29 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostSpanner, on 09 December 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

We will be allowing Mania mods for next year's contest, just got to sort out quality control criteria for that as well as 3D entries.

Yeah, in fairness this was explicitly pointed out well in advance of the contest deadline.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users