Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 for PC & New 3DS... & Wii - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sonic 2 for PC & New 3DS... & Wii Celebrating the future (and the other 25th anniversary I guess)

#1 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

Contest page copypaste:
Spoiler

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Old video from back when this had EHZ:
Spoiler

I've been working on and off on a PC port of Sonic 2 for about two years, which I initially worked on in order to teach myself C and SDL2.

Back in August, after tiring myself out with Cave Story modding, I finally picked up the project after a year-long hiatus, and put to use what I'd learnt in that time. This included the addition of level drawing, a shortlived rebase on OpenGL, and a port of the Sonic object. This turned the port from a silly little demo program called EGGMANQUEST into something actually resembling a port of Sonic 2.

What, you think I'm joking?
Spoiler

It started to look like the project was finally coming together, and with the Hacking Contest on the horizon, I thought I'd brush up what I had so far, and let it finally make its debut.

While cleaning up the demo, I was reminded of my time porting my own game to the 3DS. Figuring it would demonstrate my port's portability (harr harr), and help set it apart from Sonic 2 HD, I began working on a 3DS version, ditching the (albeit crappy) OpenGL backend for a software renderer. Unfortunately, the renderer wasn't as efficient as it could be, limiting it to New 3DSs only.

...So why does it say 'Wii' in the thread's title?
Spoiler

Basically, to prove a point, I dropped it on the Wii in an hour or two.

Unfortunately, this was a few days after the contest deadline, so it couldn't be submitted. It was a really quick-and-dirty port, anyway: it doesn't have sound, and it's in 4:3 (why the hell does the Wii have a 4:3 framebuffer?), so I guess that's not a huge loss.

I suppose I should say how you use the thing. Extract the contents of the 'Wii' folder to the base of your Wii's SD card, and that should be all for installation. Of course, you have to run it from the Homebrew Channel.

Controls are...

Wiimote:
• D-pad - Movement
• 1 - A
• 2 - B (Debug Mode)
• Minus - C
• Home - Quit

Wii Classic Controller/Wii U Pro Controller/Wii U Gamepad:
• D-pad - Movement
• B - A
• Y - A
• X - B (Debug Mode)
• A - C
• Home - Quit

Download here.

Also, as a bonus, I dug up two old builds of EGGMANQUEST I had lying around on Dropbox, in case anyone's curious:
2015 version
2016 version
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 24 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

#2 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

• Wiki edits:30
Holy crap.

This is really impressive. Hands down my favorite pick for the SHC this year. I didn't see this coming at all.

#3 User is offline EnderWaffle 

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

• Ghostly Friend
  • Project:Sonic Legends
Just tested the Wii version, and I gotta say, this seems pretty good.
Now if only I could get my 11.6.39 New 3DS homebrew'd, then I'd have the good version of a handheld Sonic 2. Yeah, I said it. I'm not too fond of Sonic 2 SMS.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users