Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 2 Fine2uned - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic 2 Fine2uned Celebrating the past (and the 25th anniversary I guess)

#1 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 06-July 13
  • Gender:Not Telling
Huh. The EU/US release date of Sonic 2 was "Sonic 2s day", on the 24th, but the JP one was the 21st. Today's the 21st, and a Tuesday...

Er, anyway, Sonic 2 is very buggy. Looking at the massive bugfix thread should be a good indication. That thread also seems to indicate that some people want a hack that tries to fix as many of these bugs as possible. Well, this is that.

Broken Chemical Plant Zone door?
Posted Image Posted Image

Broken multisprite mirroring in 2-player?
Posted Image Posted Image

Inconsistent 'E's in the title screen?
Posted Image Posted Image

Tails's macho-man arms?
Posted Image Posted Image

The other stuff?
Spoiler


(Check out 'credits.txt' for a list of guides I used, by the way.)

Because I want to avoid some issues I've seen in similar hacks, this actually comes in two builds: a 'Pure' one that aims to be just vanilla Sonic 2 with as many fixes as possible (a theoretical REV03, basically), and an 'Impure' one, that has some non-bug-fixing design choices like Super Sonic detransformation and S&K style "slow ducking":
Spoiler


Download here.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 21 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

#2 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

  • For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Posts: 1286
  • Joined: 19-November 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:HoleNet!
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
>Fixed Sonic keeping his invincibility stars when he goes Super
Awww, that was my favorite thing to do. Made Super Sonic look more awesome, imho. But excellent stuff!

#3 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

  • THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Posts: 630
  • Joined: 15-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth
  • Wiki edits:7

View PostTechokami, on 21 November 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

>Fixed Sonic keeping his invincibility stars when he goes Super
Awww, that was my favorite thing to do. Made Super Sonic look more awesome, imho. But excellent stuff!


Agree that's one of my favorite bugs in the game. Used to transform into Super Sonic with invincibility running. Super Sonic with stars is sick.

#4 User is offline joyeux 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:42 AM

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: 24-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:São Paulo - Brazil
Hi, this is the definitive version of Sonic 2. I've tried to compile my own bug fixed version, but codes I've found here are for different disassemblies. I'm not a hacker so I couldn't build an ideal version. This one dos the trick and saves me from all the trouble, thank you.

For the impure version, I don't how "impurer" it would make it if Sonic kept his rings after the special stage, but I think it would be a very nice feature to add.

#5 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:55 AM

  • Do you have a sister?
  • Posts: 1847
  • Joined: 22-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Japan
  • Wiki edits:16
"Tails's macho-man arms"

Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that, iirc, Knuckles has the same problem with lock on. Is this an actual bug, or was it just a lack of art at all (i.e. was it just a typo in code that they accidentally missed, or did new art, mappings, etc, need to be created to resolve the issue. I say this, because I assumed there was no art for Tails' arms =o).

We need some let's player to play this ROM hack, one who knows that bugs have been fixed, but without having seen the list, just to see how many they pick up on during the gameplay.

Nice work though~ I think you went the extra mile with the "impure" version, would you ever consider making a proper brand new hack/game project with new levels, gimmicks and such? You have the skills and knowledge, I really think you could make something solid.

#6 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 06-July 13
  • Gender:Not Telling
I've been working on-and-off on a hack like that for a few years, it's just that it's very on/off.

Surprisingly, Tails does have his own arms sprites: they're baked into his body sprite. I'm not really sure why they're the wrong colour in the first place.

View Postjoyeux, on 26 November 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

For the impure version, I don't how "impurer" it would make it if Sonic kept his rings after the special stage, but I think it would be a very nice feature to add.

Good idea. I completely forgot about that one.

#7 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

  • Posts: 364
  • Joined: 29-October 16
  • Gender:Male
Suggestion: How about a third version that aims to add the features of the Taxman remaster (but not "impure" features such as Super Sonic destransformation)? Or would that be too much?

#8 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

  • A "Community Enigma"?
  • Posts: 1429
  • Joined: 23-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:51
Here's a suggestion for the impure version: implement Sonic 2 & K's feature where you keep your rings when you exit a special stage.

#9 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:15 PM

  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 06-July 13
  • Gender:Not Telling
Yeah, joyeux mentioned that earlier, and it sounds like a good idea.

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 26 November 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Suggestion: How about a third version that aims to add the features of the Taxman remaster (but not "impure" features such as Super Sonic destransformation)? Or would that be too much?

That depends. It think adding its HPZ would be asking a little too much, but I don't remember what other features that version had.

#10 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

  • Posts: 11501
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostClownacy, on 26 November 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

Yeah, joyeux mentioned that earlier, and it sounds like a good idea.

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 26 November 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Suggestion: How about a third version that aims to add the features of the Taxman remaster (but not "impure" features such as Super Sonic destransformation)? Or would that be too much?

That depends. It think adding its HPZ would be asking a little too much, but I don't remember what other features that version had.

Here's a couple of them anyway:

- Tails could fly and could carry Sonic.
- Knuckles was in the game by default.
- There were options to turn on Sonic 3 shields, insta shield, and random item boxes in 1 player mode (that was an extra in the debug menu anyway)
- Some levels had added secret routes meant to play around with Knuckles and Tails' extra abilities (I remember off the top of my head anyway Chemical Plant Act 2 and Hill Top Act 1)

#11 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 06-July 13
  • Gender:Not Telling
Oh god. That's probably not going to happen then.

#12 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

  • Posts: 1740
  • Joined: 29-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:41

View PostDark Sonic, on 26 November 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

View PostClownacy, on 26 November 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

Yeah, joyeux mentioned that earlier, and it sounds like a good idea.

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 26 November 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Suggestion: How about a third version that aims to add the features of the Taxman remaster (but not "impure" features such as Super Sonic destransformation)? Or would that be too much?

That depends. It think adding its HPZ would be asking a little too much, but I don't remember what other features that version had.

Here's a couple of them anyway:

- Tails could fly and could carry Sonic.
- Knuckles was in the game by default.
- There were options to turn on Sonic 3 shields, insta shield, and random item boxes in 1 player mode (that was an extra in the debug menu anyway)
- Some levels had added secret routes meant to play around with Knuckles and Tails' extra abilities (I remember off the top of my head anyway Chemical Plant Act 2 and Hill Top Act 1)


-2P Player VS also had a character select for the three, and added Chemical Plant, Aquatic Ruin, Hill Top and Oil Ocean as courses (less likely to be possible due to tile and object issues).
-A secret 'full good ending' that alludes to Sonic 3.
- Special Stages were fully 3D (obviously unlikely to be possible, at least not nearly on the same level anyway).
- The beta version of Hidden Palace (called Proto Palace) was available through Level Select code. Landing on the emerald warped you back to the level select I believe.

As you can see, things get a bit elaborate extras wise.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 26 November 2017 - 08:46 PM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users