Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch) Hacking & Resources - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch) Hacking & Resources

#61 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Unicode, maybe? There's a few different types. Also worth reading up on Mojibake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojibake

#62 User is offline Windii 

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

• 朴念仁のエッグマン

View PostOverlord, on 20 November 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Unicode, maybe? There's a few different types. Also worth reading up on Mojibake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojibake

Hm, I did try to convert the text file to Unicode, but it didn't seem to do the trick. Maybe there are certain Python scripts that can actually do the job (the closest thing I found is Chardet), but I'm currently too Python illiterate to try any of them myself. Who knows, maybe this text is Shift-JIS but insists on showing as mojibake for reasons I'm too dumb to understand. Chinese and Korean languages have their own encoding types, after all.

#63 User is offline BluexBlur 

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

View PostWindii, on 20 November 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

It seems that this game's text files--which are cnvrs-text files inside the .pac archives--seem to work the same way as most of the .fnt files in Shadow the Hedgehog do. That is, non-Japanese text files appear just fine when viewed in Notepad/Notepad++/HxD and whatnot (despite being separated by null spaces between every letter, no pun intended), but Japanese appears to be completely garbled. This also happens to Korean and Chinese languages in Forces.
Posted Image
That screenshot is taken from HxD and I did try to convert the hex numbers to Shift-JIS, but they still came out garbled. So whatever the text is encoded in, it's definitely not Shift-JIS. My head hurts trying to figure this out. :psyduck:/>/>

I'm mentioning this because the Japanese text could have some really neat hidden stuff that the English text may have glossed over and I like translating it. Not to mention this may save me hours of playing each stage just to capture every single spoken line. If anyone happens to know anything about how wacky Japanese character encoding works, that would be absolutely amazing. This could also potentially save me from playing every single stage in Shadow the Hedgehog too.

Not sure if this would work but... Try changing your computer's Locale to Japan.

#64 User is offline Windii 

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

• 朴念仁のエッグマン
Update: Turns out it is Unicode, and it can be decoded and put into a utf 16 converter. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of the text that comes out is still really bugged because some of the Unicode numbers in the hex are written incorrectly, causing wrong symbols to appear in place of proper hiragana/katakana. Also it seems to completely lose its shit with kanji. Joy. :v:/>
Posted Image
My text ventures with this game and Shadow may or may not have to be put on hold for now.
EDIT: Of course, I can always repair these manually by listening to the Japanese voice line and replacing the bugged gibberish with proper kanji/kana myself, but this still means that searching through possible unused content in-text may take more time for me than usual.
This post has been edited by Windii: 21 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

#65 User is offline Radfordhound 

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

• I dislike my profile picture more every day
  • Project:Sonic Adventure Remastered, HedgeLib, and Forces Modding.
I started a basic SCHG page on Sonic Forces listing out specifications for the BINA container format and the GEdit set data format.
Feedback on it would be much appreciated! And of course if anyone has anything useful they'd like to add, please do so!

View PostDario FF, on 13 November 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

As if that was anything but par for the course. :v:/>/>

Nice work on the sets BTW. If we're lucky we could find the debug information like Aruki did for Lost World on one of the other version's executables, making the creation of those templates much easier.

Thanks! Yeah I was hoping to find some template stuff in the executable this time as well. Haven't found anything just yet, though being honest I haven't really looked much.
That would speed things up quite a bit, though of course we'll still be able to make templates for every object type even if that stuff isn't there. It'll just take some time, haha.

#66 User is offline Moonight 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

View PostWindii, on 21 November 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Update: Turns out it is Unicode, and it can be decoded and put into a utf 16 converter. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of the text that comes out is still really bugged because some of the Unicode numbers in the hex are written incorrectly, causing wrong symbols to appear in place of proper hiragana/katakana. Also it seems to completely lose its shit with kanji. Joy. //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png/>
Posted Image
My text ventures with this game and Shadow may or may not have to be put on hold for now.
EDIT: Of course, I can always repair these manually by listening to the Japanese voice line and replacing the bugged gibberish with proper kanji/kana myself, but this still means that searching through possible unused content in-text may take more time for me than usual.

Just saying, if you need some help, I can always try with a bit of Google Translator help (because Kanji is a bit too hard for me) and I also have a Japanese friend who is helping me a lot to learn Japanese who wouldn't mind helping me with the Kanji.

I just wish to help somehow.
Good luck!

#67 User is offline urlogic 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

I think anyone who wants to hack Forces should possibly try using Cheat Engine... So far this guy has made some interesting progress. Strange that he's a member here and doesn't post anything about what he does.
This post has been edited by urlogic: 22 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

#68 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Video links need to be http, not https, in order for the embedding to work.

#69 User is offline urlogic 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 22 November 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

Video links need to be http, not https, in order for the embedding to work.

Thanks. Fixed my post.

#70 User is offline Twilightzoney 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

• Project:Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
I spent my time wisely doing something productive with being able to use custom animation and skeletons in game.

#71 User is offline Retroman 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

• XD

View PostTwilightzoney, on 22 November 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

I spent my time wisely doing something productive with being able to use custom animation and skeletons in game.

GLORIOUS!

#72 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostMaster Emerald, on 12 November 2017 - 09:07 PM, said:

View Posturlogic, on 12 November 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

View PostDr. Mecha, on 12 November 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

So there's no way to Fix Classic Sonic?

Well, nobody fixed him in Generations. I don't see why anyone would want to fix him in Forces.

They actually got close.

There is also Lobotomy's Fixing Generations Forever mod (video is of RC1, there's been two additional RCs of the mod since). Improves Classic Sonic's rolling, momentum, and acceleration (for both his normal form and Super form), nerfs the spin dash, and fixes Super Sonic's ring consumption among several other things.

Combine the FGF mod and No Automation mod together (as you can somewhat see in the video below) and you're at least 80% to having classic Sonic's core gameplay components correct. The only notable component I don't think I've seen anyone attempt fixing with Generations is giving classic Sonic his bouncing / vertical momentum properties.

This post has been edited by Yeow: 22 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

#73 User is offline urlogic 

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

Oh man, this is seriously cool as hell. I look forward to seeing what you do next.

#74 User is offline rata 

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.

I'm literally crying out of laugh with this. Where does that thing come from?

#75 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

View Postrata, on 23 November 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'm literally crying out of laugh with this. Where does that thing come from?
Monokuma comes from a game called Danganronpa, where a teddy bear locks a bunch of people in a school and forces them to kill each other to escape. Zoney and Melpontro also did a mod including Monokuma for Unleashed, so I guess that's a bit of context.
The other bit of context is that in one of the recent Danganronpa games, Monokuma has a voice line referencing Sonic. I just it's dumb-fun , it's not much deeper than that outside of a few spoilers :V

Thanks for this Zoney, but the question remains: Pele when?
This post has been edited by Amnimator: 25 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

• 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users