Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch) Hacking & Resources - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 10 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch) Hacking & Resources

#136 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
This looks pretty cool:

#137 User is offline Windii 

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:25 AM

• tf you're looking at keep scrolling
  • Project:Fanvids!
Figured I'd post this here.

Yesterday, me and Jmtshaw (but mostly Jmtshaw) have figured out how exactly Japanese subtitle text of Forces is encoded in the text files, so we went ahead and ripped both English and Japanese texts, from both the main game and Episode Shadow/Shadow Story. I planned to also include Chinese and Korean texts just for kicks, but those seem to be encoded in a completely different way because they always come out completely messed up in the converter (random symbols, error messages and other junk). These texts cover all the dialogue heard in the game; cutscene, in-game, radio stuff, and possibly more. It also continues the SA2 tradition of also having subtitles for stuff you don't get to hear in the game. Very helpful for finding unused dialogue without having to listen to every single voice clip first.

Let me know if you want me to convert more text stuff from the game. I can also explain how to do it in case you want to try this out yourself. Shadow, 06, and I think Lost World also use this type of text encoding. Just saying.

#138 User is offline codenamegamma 

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

View PostWindii, on 02 February 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

Figured I'd post this here.

Yesterday, me and Jmtshaw (but mostly Jmtshaw) have figured out how exactly Japanese subtitle text of Forces is encoded in the text files, so we went ahead and ripped both English and Japanese texts, from both the main game and Episode Shadow/Shadow Story. I planned to also include Chinese and Korean texts just for kicks, but those seem to be encoded in a completely different way because they always come out completely messed up in the converter (random symbols, error messages and other junk). These texts cover all the dialogue heard in the game; cutscene, in-game, radio stuff, and possibly more. It also continues the SA2 tradition of also having subtitles for stuff you don't get to hear in the game. Very helpful for finding unused dialogue without having to listen to every single voice clip first.

Let me know if you want me to convert more text stuff from the game. I can also explain how to do it in case you want to try this out yourself. Shadow, 06, and I think Lost World also use this type of text encoding. Just saying.

well since you bring it up. the text is encoded in utf-16. I just dumped it via memory and it was pretty easy though I was only interested in the English text since I don't read Chinese. but I'm sure the Chinese and Japanese or whatever can be dumped the same way though you've already done that...no sense in telling you that. I didn't post them anywhere since when I brought it up to a bunch of people...no one cared.

"Sand waterfalls are great! You can run on 'em and everything!"

there's at least one unused line in every stage.

here is my dump for those interested. I started doing some formatting and added headings as well as started coloring some text that I knew belonged to cutscenes vs radio ect, but I never finished. maybe someone will find it useful.

http://codenamegamma...Green-Hill.docx
This post has been edited by codenamegamma: 06 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

#139 User is offline Windii 

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

Thanks! I'm probably not gonna do Chinese and Korean texts either way, though. As it turns out, both of them are pretty much derived from the English script anyway. Kind of weird, since I remember that the Korean text option in Heroes is synced to the Japanese dialogue, but oh well. Japanese and English texts are the real meat, as usual.

#140 User is online JaxTH 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
The scripts are still done by America, correct? The only recent game I remember where the script was done in Japan was Sonic '06, though I don't know who did the scripts from SA2 to Riders.

The SA2 script debacle still intrigues me to this day though.

#141 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

• Zaphod's just some guy, you know?
  • Project:Completely remaking my fanedit because I messed up
I think the way it works is that the scripts for most games are written in Japan first, then localised by Pontac and Graff, then animated by JP to the English dialogue, then dubbed over in Japanese. Excluding Lost World, pretty sure the main series has always had it's script made in Japan first, and even then I don't think Pontaff wrote that game on their own.

**Since Unleashed, that is. In everything from 06 back it was written in JP and dubbed in English, only the CG was synced to English dialogue usually, which is even more confusing
This post has been edited by Shaddy the guy: 10 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

#142 User is offline Windii 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

The whole "English>Japanese>English" script debacle with SA2 is not real and never was. The mere idea of that myth being true is straight up insane when you think about it. Maekawa Shiro is a Japanese man. There is a very high chance he doesn't know a lick of English, yet we are led to believe SA2 was written in English first anyway? Why are the cutscenes lip-synced and animated to the Japanese dialogue and inflection then? Why can we see Japanese dialogue from the game on Maekawa's storyboards? In short, it's crazy.

This is not the most appropriate topic for this stuff, but I had to get this out of the way. I'm just tired of that rumor being thrown around like it's a fact to this day, especially when no one could ever back it up.

#143 User is offline SHowin 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

First time posting on this site. Been lurking for years and I'm finally trying to be a member!

Anyways, I made a mod for Sonic Forces that I'd like to show you guys and see what you think.

It's a mod that aims to improve Classic Sonic's gameplay in forces. It changes various things.

Here's a video! (Sorry for not embedding it I'm somehow too stupid to figure that out)

Here's the gamebanana link!

First of all the mod changes the level design to remove all the dashpads (aside a few that I thought were fine to keep) and generally improve the flow. For example, I removed the auto scrolling section from Iron Fortress. There are other more minor changes to Sonic's graphical appearance that I personally think look better.

It also tries to hopefully improve upon Classic Sonic's physics and make him more enjoyable to play. Everyone might not like all the changes or feel that they changes are too big so there're multiple versions of the mod. It's recommended that you try them all to figure out which one you like the best. Said versions include.

• Greatly Raised Speed Cap - Sonic will go much faster but not as fast as he would without a speed cap. This version is showcased in the video.
  • Moderately Raised Speed Cap - This one aims to strike a balance between the "Greatly Raised" and "Slightly Raised" speed caps. Not too fast but not too slow either.
  • Slightly Raised Speed Cap - This one only raises the speed cap just enough so Sonic can get up certain slopes without spin dashing.
  • Original Speed Cap - For those who feel that the "raised speed cap" versions accelerate too quickly and prefer the original speed.
  • No Speed Cap - Sonic no longer has a speed cap of any kind. This results in many issues and bugs but its fun to play around with.

There are other optional variants such as one that doesn't include any graphical changes and one that comes packed with CFR's Modern Sonic Physics tweaks. (with permission of course)

I also plan to make a music mod (for the classic stages) featuring remixes from Lil Boulder and various other sources. I've gotten a lot of requests to do that for some reason. If I'm being honest I actually like the Classic songs quite a bit. They feel right at home with genesis for me.

#144 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:25 AM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
This popped up on my youtube recommendations:

Seems someone out there cracked the code and found a way for custom collision. we really got to start inviting fresher blood here...

Also wut?

#145 User is offline Skyth 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

View PostLanzer, on 12 February 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

This popped up on my youtube recommendations:

Seems someone out there cracked the code and found a way for custom collision. we really got to start inviting fresher blood here...

Also wut?

Yeah, I did. I plan to release the tools by the end of this weekend.

#146 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:32 AM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostSkyth, on 13 February 2018 - 12:23 AM, said:

Yeah, I did. I plan to release the tools by the end of this weekend.

Neat! Good to have you here, looking forward to your release.

#147 User is offline Skyth 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

Now custom collision is a possibility.

Get the tools here.

You can convert .anm.hkx, .skl.hkx, and .phy.hkx to Sonic Forces format.
However, it doesn't do backporting yet. If you want to rip animations and skeletons, use my previously released ripper.

EDIT: Updated the link.
This post has been edited by Skyth: 18 February 2018 - 09:01 AM

#148 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
Man, if all the other cutscene assets are also in the game, imagine how much the game's filesize could be decreased by having the game rendering all the cutscenes, thus rendering (pun intended) the pre-renders obsolete. :v:

#149 User is offline Sonikko 

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

• Bird

View PostHerm the Germ, on 17 February 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

Man, if all the other cutscene assets are also in the game, imagine how much the game's filesize could be decreased by having the game rendering all the cutscenes, thus rendering (pun intended) the pre-renders obsolete. :v:/>

On this matter, I've been wondering... Is it possible to delete all the pre-rendered videos from the archives? I haven't played the game in a long while, but I don't feel like uninstalling it. I'd like to trim the file-size as much as possible though!

• 10 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users