Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mania SMPS Mod - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Mania SMPS Mod It plays SMPS music in Sonic Mania.

#1 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

This mod takes the SMPS music engine made for S&KC and implements it into Sonic Mania as a replacement for its OGG music playback, which is no small feat considering I barely understand anything about how the music playback works. You won't know it from the git log, but it took me quite a few tries before I got something that didn't crash, and then a few more changes to get everything working properly.

The mod is fully customizable, with config.ini allowing you to choose which SMPS songs go with which of Mania's songs. You may wish to use the SMPSTempo program to listen to each of the available tracks. Custom music is supported, and the mod comes with one such song by default, so it should be pretty simple to figure out.

You can download the mod on GitHub here, and the source code is available here.

You may now use the rest of this thread to complain about the default music selection and/or organize a project to recreate the whole soundtrack in SMPS.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 10 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

#2 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS
Oh neat! I'll have to give it a spin.

And honestly if I wouldn't end up doing most or all of the tracks, I would likely be willing to contribute a few to an organised project. especially if amphobius gets involved

#3 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Minor update, turns out I had the song for Knuckles' Mirage Saloon listed as "MirageSaloon1K" while the game was trying to load "MirageSaloon1k", causing that level to play no music whatsoever. I fixed it by having all the filenames converted to lowercase internally.

#4 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

It'd seem you accidentally put in the SMPSTempo link instead of the link to the mod. But even then I've never figured out how to actually get things from github working.

#5 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

Oh wow. Fixed. As for how to get it working... you just download the attached file and put it in the mods folder?

#6 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Oh, I was a derp and somehow kept finding my way to the repositories rather than the actual releases.
This post has been edited by RikohZX: 30 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

#7 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostS0LV0, on 30 September 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Oh neat! I'll have to give it a spin.

And honestly if I wouldn't end up doing most or all of the tracks, I would likely be willing to contribute a few to an organised project. especially if amphobius gets involved

Haha I knew you all would come out of the woodwork! Where is Amphobius? Haven't heard from him in a while...

Been playing around with this and I like how easily customizable it is. I'll need to dig up some of my old midi to SMPS conversions and see how well they fit here.

#8 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS

View PostTanks, on 01 October 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

Haha I knew you all would come out of the woodwork! Where is Amphobius? Haven't heard from him in a while...
Yeah I saw you subtweeting me in the hacking thread. Don't count on it honestly, I love transcribing tracks and sticking them on various chips but I've really been trying to focus on more personal things. It's a giant "we'll see" right now.
This post has been edited by S0LV0: 01 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

#9 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

• THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Wiki edits:7
Interesting mod, with time people will make SMPS versions of Sonic Mania soundtrack giving us a true MD Classic experience.
This post has been edited by Epsilonsama: 01 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

#10 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:13 AM

Here's hoping SMPS versions of CD songs too, and I've been mixing around a lot of the available tracks and Gene Gadget's surprisingly very effective for Titanic Monarch.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users