Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mania Mod Loader - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Mania Mod Loader It loads mods, for Mania. Update: now with custom code support.

#76 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View PostMuscle Wizard, on 04 October 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

View PostMainMemory, on 04 October 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

Well someone has gone ahead and made an updated fork of the mod loader, and codenamegamma hasn't stuck with the old version, so I don't know who exactly this "we" is that decided on a "gold standard", especially since I never ruled out upgrading entirely, I've just said not now.

I tried implementing vgmstream, but when it goes to play a non-OGG song, it also starts playing a repeating sound constantly, and all OGG music refuses to play from then on. I have no idea what I need to do to fix it, so I might have to just release a new version without it. I did implement the text-based loop selection though, that works just fine.

I suppose if someone's willing to update it like that and save you the time it's fine, yeah? I'm assuming there's some kind of way I can build from this source and use it to run mods on the newest version of Mania just fine, right? I'm not entirely familiar with how this works...

Yes, it does make a lot of stuff easier, but, there's still my two custom code mods that would need to be updated, and I'd still have to start a disassembly of the new version if I wanted to do anything new code-wise.

You should be able to build it with Visual Studio 2017, I can't personally vouch for it but it seems like everything's updated to work with the new version of the game.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 04 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

#77 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:37 PM

New version of the mod loader:
  • Added support for downloading mods from GameBanana. Go to the Options tab to install the URL handler.
  • Mods can now specify loop points for songs using a [MusicLoops] section in mod.ini, with values such as GreenHill1=1234
  • Added more clarity to the "unsupported version" message.
  • Added more cheat codes: "Invincibility Lasts Forever", "Speed Shoes Last Forever", "Disable Autosave Popup".
  • "Anyone Can Break Breakable Walls By Touching Them" code now works on LRZ rocks.

Unfortunately the vgmstream support has hit a dead end for now. I don't know if I'll ever be able to figure out what's wrong with it. I put the code into a separate branch until it can be fixed.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 05 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

#78 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

So wait, which version is this for? I downloaded the latest version of Mania, no dice. I grabbed the September 6th version to revert back and that's no dice either.

#79 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

It is definitely for the September 6 version, SonicMania.exe MD5 94343144a2436a41f7dda712772ef234. Are you sure you have the right files?

#80 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, I got some stuff mixed around and it's working fine now. I seem to be bungling a lot of these things at first, huh?

#81 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

How do you prevent Mania from auto-updating again? The properties>automatic updates doesn't have a "never update this" option to it .

I keep getting a "start Index cannot be larger than length of string" error when I try to open it (I've downgraded Mania BTW).

Posted Image

The details are "spoiler'd"

Spoiler

This post has been edited by The Growler: 09 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

#82 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

Why are you using the first release of the mod loader? There's a lot more features in the latest version.

As for making it never update, there isn't a way AFAIK, just keep backups of the exe and rsdk files.

#83 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 09 October 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Why are you using the first release of the mod loader? There's a lot more features in the latest version.

As for making it never update, there isn't a way AFAIK, just keep backups of the exe and rsdk files.

I downloaded the link at the beginning... I just thought that it would be updated whenever the latest version came out.

Where do I download the latest release of the mod loader? I've found it now, but it still says the same message

This post has been edited by The Growler: 09 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

#84 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

...That link IS updated, I just checked it myself.

I'm assuming the line number it gives you is now 217, rather than 72. That error still makes no sense though. Where do you have ManiaModManager.exe? Do you have any mods in the mods folder?

#85 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 09 October 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

...That link IS updated, I just checked it myself.

I'm assuming the line number it gives you is now 217, rather than 72. That error still makes no sense though. Where do you have ManiaModManager.exe? Do you have any mods in the mods folder?

This is how I've got the folder structure; I've not changed any of the text files or anything:
Posted Image

#86 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

Your mods folder is all kinds of weird. I don't know why you have d3d9.dll in the mods folder, or why you have another mods folder with the actual mods and copies of the files from the first mods folder, but the real problem is that Mod.ini file in the first mods folder, get rid of that.

#87 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Ah! Removing the mod.ini did the trick (and now only got 1 mod folder instead of 2, lol) - thanks a lot! They're working now :)

#88 User is offline CUD 

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:33 AM

How does custom code work? Not sure where to even start in regards to that... Can someone point me to a guide or something?

#89 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Custom code works by creating a DLL file that contains instructions on how to alter the game's code, patching machine code, inserting jump/call instructions to redirect the game to your own functions, or poking at variables in memory. For a more specific idea, you should look at the existing mods, or even SADX or SA2 mods, as the system is largely the same.

#90 User is offline HTV04 

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Do data.rsdk mods work with this? I've heard some mods rely on that file. I'm a noob to the mod loader, so I don't know much about it :specialed:.
This post has been edited by HTV04: 13 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

• 8 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users