Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mega/Gems Collection ROM dumping - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Mega/Gems Collection ROM dumping Has it been done before?

#1 User is offline Truner 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:47 AM

  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary
I've been mucking around with these two collections. All the roms are on the discs in a cpt format that I have no clue about. Interestingly enough, Gems Collection on both GC and PS2 contain most of the games from Mega Collection on the disc.
Anyway, I've been trying to RAM Dump Triple Trouble using Dolphin. I managed to find 16 lines that match up near the beginning, but that's about it. I was thinking that maybe the game procedurally loads the roms as you play them, but no, it just kind of loads the beginning into ram and then nothing else that matches up with what I have.

Is this a lost cause? I found this much that is the same between the ram and the GG rom file. Haven't tried the other roms yet though. Posted Image
EDIT: Oh and before anyone assumes I know what I'm doing: I don't.
This post has been edited by Truner: 25 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

#2 User is offline RibShark 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

  • Posts: 80
  • Joined: 29-September 12
  • Gender:Male
You might want to look at this thread: https://forums.sonic...showtopic=13514

#3 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

  • Model2wannaB
  • Posts: 602
  • Joined: 09-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
The roms are literally binary files on the disc (gcm iso whatever) and were extracted shortly after release at Sonic CulT iirc. Extracting from an emulator's emulation of an emulated game probably won't yield any results.

#4 User is offline Truner 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 25 August 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

The roms are literally binary files on the disc (gcm iso whatever) and were extracted shortly after release at Sonic CulT iirc. Extracting from an emulator's emulation of an emulated game probably won't yield any results.

The roms I found on the disc are .cpt files that did not line up with any of the roms I had, so they must be compressed in some way. Unless there's a tool to do that for you, in which case, I'd be interested in it?

#5 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4144
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
What exactly is the point of all this? I think we've already ascertained that except for the hex-edited Sonic 1 ROM (which has been dumped), all the ROMs in the collection are identical to known dumps.

#6 User is offline Truner 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary

View PostMainMemory, on 25 August 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

What exactly is the point of all this? I think we've already ascertained that except for the hex-edited Sonic 1 ROM (which has been dumped), all the ROMs in the collection are identical to known dumps.

Well, I've been looking into getting legal rom files from things like these collections and since I succeeded with Zelda Collector's Edition, I thought I'd try Sonic games next. Not much, but Gems Collection is a cheap way to get a bunch of Sonic rom files (especially since the other method is buying them off of 3DS Virtual Console, which is digital, or some other games that have them here and there).

#7 User is offline lil-g-gamegenuis 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

  • GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!
  • Posts: 24
  • Joined: 03-April 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:olathe, ks
  • Project:Practicing to make better SMPS
Why not just buy the games in one form and then Download the rom files from somewhere? You legally own the game so its fine.

#8 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4144
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
You can get a whole bunch of ROMs from Steam, and I believe it puts them all uncompressed in a folder somewhere.

#9 User is offline lil-g-gamegenuis 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

  • GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!
  • Posts: 24
  • Joined: 03-April 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:olathe, ks
  • Project:Practicing to make better SMPS
They do. If you have a normal steam install its in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sega Classics\uncompressed ROMs


#10 User is offline Truner 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary

View Postlil-g-gamegenuis, on 25 August 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Why not just buy the games in one form and then Download the rom files from somewhere? You legally own the game so its fine.

It doesn't work that way.

View PostMainMemory, on 25 August 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

You can get a whole bunch of ROMs from Steam, and I believe it puts them all uncompressed in a folder somewhere.

No Game Gear games though!

I'm not really looking for alternatives any way. I was thinking of getting the roms out of the one collection that includes a lot for a value price. If it's not possible, then I guess the thread can be locked.

#11 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4144
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
How do you know what ROM files you're allowed to have and which you aren't? Are you a lawyer? It might not even be legal to extract ROM files from a collection and use them separately. In fact, it's probably prohibited by the EULA.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 25 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

#12 User is offline Truner 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary

View PostMainMemory, on 25 August 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

How do you know what ROM files you're allowed to have and which you aren't? Are you a lawyer? It might not even be legal to extract ROM files from a collection and use them separately. In fact, it's probably prohibited by the EULA.

A fair concern, but the manual and the game itself mentions nothing at all?

#13 User is offline lil-g-gamegenuis 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

  • GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!
  • Posts: 24
  • Joined: 03-April 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:olathe, ks
  • Project:Practicing to make better SMPS
Then doesn't that mean that downloading the rom online is fine since its not in the game or manual?

#14 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4144
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Usually there's a clause somewhere about reverse engineering and modification, which extracting the ROM files could be classified under. Anyway, if you want Game Gear ROMs, you should get Sonic Adventure DX (GameCube or PC, not Steam), it's got all of them included and the PRS compression format is well-known.

#15 User is offline Truner 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary

View Postlil-g-gamegenuis, on 25 August 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

Then doesn't that mean that downloading the rom online is fine since its not in the game or manual?

Allow me to be sceptical, but shouldn't the game include its eula one way or another? I have some games that contain all of that information straight from the main menu. I can't even find traces of it on the disc in this case, however.

View PostMainMemory said:

Usually there's a clause somewhere about reverse engineering and modification, which extracting the ROM files could be classified under. Anyway, if you want Game Gear ROMs, you should get Sonic Adventure DX (GameCube or PC, not Steam), it's got all of them included and the PRS compression format is well-known.


I should have that somewhere as well, I'll try it. Looking at it now, it seems to have all the games Gems does anyway.
This post has been edited by Truner: 25 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users