Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Fang - Half Wolf, Half Jerboa - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Fang - Half Wolf, Half Jerboa 0% Weasel

#31 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

They're also aliens too so that's the main reason why they don't look like any creature on earth.

#32 User is offline Sid Starkiller 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

View PostCasshern, on 08 February 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

They're also aliens too so that's the main reason why they don't look like any creature on earth.

Source?

#33 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

View PostSid Starkiller, on 08 February 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

View PostCasshern, on 08 February 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Source?

Didn't Sonic Channel have the Chao classified as aliens in their bio? I can't seem to find it to confirm.

But now I'm wondering if I'm confusing it with the whole Chaos being a mutated Chao.

#34 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Wow. Any other interesting Game Gear/spinoff information from that Sonic Jam guide? Also what was the occasion for those characters being referenced? Some kind of mini character encyclopedia? Either way that's pretty damn cool.

#35 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

View PostSir_mihael, on 08 February 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Wow. Any other interesting Game Gear/spinoff information from that Sonic Jam guide? Also what was the occasion for those characters being referenced? Some kind of mini character encyclopedia? Either way that's pretty damn cool.

Not really anything else of interest in regards to the Game Gear games. It has all the JP release dates, but we know those already.

The main book covers the 3D Sonic World mini-game, Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles. Then there's a bit at the back that has a list of games, trivia, etc. The Fang mini-profile was in the "Guest Characters" section.

Here are the other characters: https://imgur.com/a/lyFiM

On a more interesting note, I was talking with an acquaintance about this. He found this scan a little while ago. Unfortunately he's not sure what magazine it's from, but reckons it's probably Mega Drive Fan or Beep! MegaDrive.

Posted Image

There's some nice "new" art at the bottom, so I hope we can figure out what magazine it is.

The character description is a bit difficult to read, but he typed it up for me:

こいつが今度登場する新キャラクター、とびねずみとオオカミのあいのこで、亜空間に住むトレジャーハンターだ。性格はずるがしこく、カオスエメラルドをかすめ取ろうとしているのだ

It says that he's a new character who is a cross between a jerboa and a wolf. So the Sonic Jam guide checks out. The rest is all stuff that's in the manual - he's a treasure hunter, lives in subspace, he's cunning and trying to steal the Chaos Emeralds.

Now, the really surprising bit is that it doesn't mention his name. The section on the lower right of the page, if I'm understanding it correctly, looks to describe a contest to name this new character. Can anyone translate it?

(The Sunset Park blurb looks like it might also shed some light on what that stage is.)

#36 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
We have one issue of Mega Drive Fan and 31 issues of Beep! Mega Drive.

#37 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53

View PostThe Growler, on 08 February 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

The species mixup is kind've ironic really, because Amy Rose doesn't really look much like a hedgehog (now, that is) - though of course in Sonic CD she had her "hair"/spines more like Sonic's (ish)

And speaking of species, I wonder why the Chao aren't like any creature on Earth? I mean, since they usually base all the character on actual ones; I guess they borrowed the idea of these creatures from Pokémon?

Didn't they borrow the idea from an old game ?

Posted Image

#38 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

Turns out the article was from an issue of Famitsu. Which is surprisingly difficult to find old issues of, considering it's Japan's most popular video game magazine.

View PostAdamis, on 09 February 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostThe Growler, on 08 February 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

The species mixup is kind've ironic really, because Amy Rose doesn't really look much like a hedgehog (now, that is) - though of course in Sonic CD she had her "hair"/spines more like Sonic's (ish)

And speaking of species, I wonder why the Chao aren't like any creature on Earth? I mean, since they usually base all the character on actual ones; I guess they borrowed the idea of these creatures from Pokémon?

Didn't they borrow the idea from an old game ?

Posted Image

She was designed by Yoshiki Kawasaki, who was also the character designer of Flicky.
This post has been edited by Pengi: 10 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users