Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Forever - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 13 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sega Forever

#31 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:52 AM

• THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Wiki edits:7
I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal for someone to use GPL emulators, but you have to make the source code available.

If SEGA uses let say Genesis Plus GX code, they have to make their modifications available.

#32 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostEpsilonsama, on 16 June 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal for someone to use GPL emulators, but you have to make the source code available.

If SEGA uses let say Genesis Plus GX code, they have to make their modifications available.

Genesis Plus GX's license prohibits commercial use all together:

https://www.libretro...non-commercial/

Genesis Plus GX
1. It uses the open-source emulator ‘Genesis Plus GX’ by author Eke-Eke for its Sega Genesis/Mega Drive module (https://github.com/e...Genesis-Plus-GX). This core has been licensed under a non-commercial license. It can therefore not be sold as, or part of, a commercial product.

I mean, this isn't even hidden in their license, it's the very first term:

https://github.com/e...ter/LICENSE.txt

Unless otherwise explicitly stated, all code in Genesis Plus GX is released
under the following license:

Copyright © 1998-2003 Charles MacDonald
Copyright © 2007-2015 Eke-Eke
Some portions copyright Nicola Salmoria and the MAME team
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use of this code or any derivative works are permitted
provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions may not be sold, nor may they be used in a commercial
product or activity.

This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 16 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

#33 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

• THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Wiki edits:7

View PostCooljerk, on 16 June 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

View PostEpsilonsama, on 16 June 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

Genesis Plus GX's license prohibits commercial use all together:

https://www.libretro...non-commercial/

Genesis Plus GX
1. It uses the open-source emulator ‘Genesis Plus GX’ by author Eke-Eke for its Sega Genesis/Mega Drive module (https://github.com/e...Genesis-Plus-GX). This core has been licensed under a non-commercial license. It can therefore not be sold as, or part of, a commercial product.

I mean, this isn't even hidden in their license, it's the very first term:

https://github.com/e...ter/LICENSE.txt

Unless otherwise explicitly stated, all code in Genesis Plus GX is released
under the following license:

Copyright © 1998-2003 Charles MacDonald
Copyright © 2007-2015 Eke-Eke
Some portions copyright Nicola Salmoria and the MAME team
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use of this code or any derivative works are permitted
provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions may not be sold, nor may they be used in a commercial
product or activity.

Interesting, for a second I thought Genesis Plus GX was licensed under the GPL and therefore free software. Then it's pretty dangerous to even read the source code if that is the case. If I was working on a Genesis Emulator the last thing I would do is try to use code from non-commercial software.

On another note I was searching for an Genesis Emulator that is in fact free software and therefore allow commercial use. It seems god ol' Dgen uses a BSD style license making it a much better Emulator to use in terms of legal issues. I'm surprised that in 10 minutes I could have found this out, it's no excuse for commercial companies to not do the same.

#34 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

• Wiki edits:6
They could get around the license problem by using older code from before the license was changed, but if they're using Libretro then nothing for them to use exists. The license change was over 10 years ago and the original Genesis Plus site and code are long gone. After ekeeke forked the project and got permission to relicense it, they discouraged people from keeping the original source around, although there's a 7z file on the Retro wiki with the source code from 2003 in it which is before the license change. Of course, this doesn't have any of the improvements made since then, GPGX is much more accurate and complete.

#35 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostEpsilonsama, on 16 June 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Interesting, for a second I thought Genesis Plus GX was licensed under the GPL and therefore free software.

Just a note - even software licensed under the GPL can include clauses preventing Tivo-ization. Tivo-ization is where open sourced software is re-purposed to a closed-top box that offers the end user no way to modify or update the software included. The term refers to, of course, Tivo boxes, which popularized the practice until it was challenged.

LibRetro in general has a clause preventing Tivo-ization.

#36 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

• FUTURE 2222
  • Wiki edits:6
Sigh,

After yesterday's Dreamcast tease, today we are left with more Sega game tease posts.

#37 User is offline Zeether 

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

If they're hyping nothing more than a subscription service for mobile games then that's disappointment city for me, especially since they're putting Saturn in the teasers and they've never gone to the effort of emulating Saturn on any platform. I've gotten burned out on trying to play action games by fingering around on my phone screen and I have no idea if they'd support Bluetooth controllers with this.
This post has been edited by Zeether: 20 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

#38 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

• Sonic 3's sprites are way better than Mania's!
  • Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
Well as it turns out, Sega forever is a mobile app. http://www.seganerds...ially-revealed/

#39 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
SEGA to release every game from all their old consoles for mobile for free (source via Twitter)

EDIT: I demand 1v1 with Ravenfreak =P
This post has been edited by redhotsonic: 21 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

#40 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

Gamesindustry.biz has an interview about this up. Apparently 90% of this was handled in Unity, so seems doubtful they used libretro's demo for this. Also while they are trying to get this thing on mobile right first, they are looking at other platforms including desktop, Facebook, and consoles like Switch.

#41 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
If they ever rerelease Sonic 3D Blast again they better use the Saturn version :colbert:

#42 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

• Project:Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
The SEGA Forever website has just gone up, complete with a neat trailer (that apparently isn't on Youtube yet) nevrmind I take it back.

Here are some facts:

• It's Free to Play, available for iOS and Android phones / tablets
  • There will be classic SEGA games available from "all SEGA console generations"
  • Right now it's Mega Drive games only, but they list "Master System, Dreamcast and more" on the page
  • Online leaderboards
  • Offline play (aka no Sonic Runners-esque bullcrap)
  • Bluetooth controller support
  • SEGA is promising new games being available to download and play on the service every month
  • The "launch titles" are Phantasy Star 2, Sonic 1, Kid Chameleon, Altered Beast and of course Comix Zone

This post has been edited by LowSeasCaroz: 21 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

#43 User is offline Zeether 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Again, if they're not gonna commit to Saturn/DC this is just a waste of time for me. Same games they've rereleased on other platforms (5 bucks says Thunder Blade is going to be next) except now they run in Unity. I read the interview, and if they really want to bring over stuff that wasn't on digital then I hope they're actually following through because right now all I'm seeing is "games you can buy off Steam as well but now they're on a phone." And judging by the statement that they want to make other consoles happen, I don't expect them to get there unless they have a low bar set for the app's sales or whatever.

I hope they bring this to desktop because that would at least mitigate the fact that I've given up playing mobile games. Also, if they're releasing Master System games FM sound better be available for any titles that support it...
This post has been edited by Zeether: 21 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

#44 User is offline Dissent 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Altered Beast, Phantasy Star 2, Kid Chameleon, and Comix Zone are all unavailable in the US apparently?

#45 User is offline RibShark 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

View PostSonicandtails, on 21 June 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

Altered Beast, Phantasy Star 2, Kid Chameleon, and Comix Zone are all unavailable in the US apparently?

It's the opposite for me in the UK. Those four games are all available, but Sonic 1 is not.

EDIT: Just checked it out, it's very bare in terms of options, as in, there are none. Each game seems to have a free, ad-supported version with only cloud saves (seems to have a single banner add at the bottom when you first load the app, and then a static fullscreen Google Play Ad when loading the game which can be skipped immediately). You can buy an ad-free version with support for local saves for £1.99, but I believe this is per-game (not 100% sure about that). The games themselves are simple emulations (besides Sonic 1 I guess), but there's a forced bilinear filter that there is no way to disable. There also seems to be leaderboards, although I've not seen any actual scores on them yet. Framerate seems iffy but I am using a rather old phone (HTC One M7). Comix Zone uses a 3-button gamepad unfortunately, not sure why they couldn't just emulate a 6-button one like they did every other time they released the game (SMC+ for example).
This post has been edited by RibShark: 21 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

• 13 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users