Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic CD in SMS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic CD in SMS What Sonic CD could have looked like in 8 bit.

#31 User is offline chacanger 

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

LordOfSquad said:

I have to wonder if it might benefit from actually straying further from the original source material. At the end of the day, seeing CD rendered faithfully on SMS makes for a cool "what-if", but it's also just a "worse" version of something that's already out there. Now, that's not to knock on your work at all, but not many people would say that the SMS Sonic games are worth playing over the Genesis ones, you know? I really like the SMS games myself, but it's because they offer something different from the Genesis ones. I doubt I'd fire up SMS Sonic 2 ever if it was just a lesser specced copy of the Genesis version with the same levels. I guess what I'm saying is it'd be cool to see some original levels that keep the CD vibe but do their own thing on the SMS hardware, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Still, it's early days yet so maybe some different zones will get added into the mix.

View PostTrue Dude, on 13 June 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

This looks incredible! But I'm surprised of the levels you cut, you cut out Stardust Speedway. That's easily one of the most memorable levels of the game and includes one of the most memorable (if irritating) bosses of the game.
Well, depending on whether I have enough space at the end of it; I may be able to squeeze that race with Metal Sonic in, I've done all of the Metal Sonic race sprites.

I suspect it would just be that one act though. The problem with translating Stardust Speedway into Sonic 1 SMS/GG is that Sonic 1 tends to be more platform orientated opposed to speed, plus there's the fact that the loops haven't been implemented into that game which may be a challenge in itself leaving the level looking a bit flat.

In the meantime, here's another track I managed to port into the game, this time it's Collision Chaos (Present)

#32 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
That would now be the second SMS Collision Chaos (Present) remix!

#33 User is offline chacanger 

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostFlygon, on 18 June 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Wow that sounds brilliant! Much better than the one I created, Mine sounds empty in comparison, I reduced the quality of my one so that I didn't use too much space.

#34 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

• Dem Melons
Given the standard SEGA mapper involved, you should be able to poke up to around 4 megabytes of space used if necessary.

Of course, the issue is that the hack isn't being done with a split disassembly. And you're dealing with banks.

Hex editing is hard. :argh:

#35 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

• Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
  • Wiki edits:2
Didn't someone have a split disassembly for these games in the works a while back? Whatever happened to that?

#36 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

• Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
I was the one who made a spilt disassembly back in 2011 however this was back when I was first teaching myself z80 asm so it was far from being completed. Kroc is also working on one too.

#37 User is offline chacanger 

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

Well, I've been making plenty of progress on the music within the hack, so far I have completed the following music tracks...

• Collision Chaos (Present)
  • Palmtree Panic (Bad Future)
  • Palmtree Panic (Past)
  • Quartz Quadrant (Past)
  • Tidal Tempest (Past)
  • Stardust Speedway (Bad Future)
  • Invincible Jingle (Is the Sonic 510 Beta speed up music )

*Need to revisit Metallic Madness (Present).

...and let me tell you some of these were a real pain to recreate, I'm looking at you "Palmtree Panic (Past)" :argh:/>/>

Here's how Stardust Speedway actually sounds like in game...
Click here to listen

Now I realise some people noted that Stardust Speedway wasn't on my list of levels being incorporated, there will be some kind of version, but mainly for the Metal Sonic race which is why I have created the track.

#38 User is offline chacanger 

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

So I've noticed that Kroc hasn't updated Disassembly for about 4 years now. Which is a shame, I have quite a few ideas on how to fit all of the data into the game but I'm unsure who's best to speak to in terms of this seeing as there aren't many people who know about the Sonic 1 (SMS) disassembly.

From what I read about the other SMS/GG games, there not that similar at all to this one, which makes sense seeing as it was developed by a completely different company.

Anyhow, I created the title screen for the game, however I'm not sure how to move Sonics finger coordinates, so currently it's offset a little too far the left (does anyone know how to do this?).

Title Screen Video

#39 User is offline EnderWaffle 

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

• Ghostly Friend
  • Project:Sonic Legends

View Postchacanger, on 14 August 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

So I've noticed that Kroc hasn't updated Disassembly for about 4 years now. Which is a shame, I have quite a few ideas on how to fit all of the data into the game but I'm unsure who's best to speak to in terms of this seeing as there aren't many people who know about the Sonic 1 (SMS) disassembly.

Sorry to bump this thread, but if it were me, I'd talk with Ravenfreak about it. He probably knows much about Sonic 1 SMS considering he made his own disassembly a few years back. Also, I am really liking this music! Keep up the great work!
This post has been edited by EnderWaffle: 13 November 2017 - 06:12 PM

#40 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
Almost forgot about this project. Probably the most interesting one in the Sonic community for my money. I'm hoping we get to see more progress. I'm only just seeing that titlescreen now and it looks pretty good. With more advancements in editing maybe the titlescreen BG can also be implemented at some point?

Let's get this project some more love.

#41 User is offline chacanger 

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:32 PM

Well, I've pretty much done most of the music for the game, "that took a lot longer than expected". I've also made a start on importing the tile sets I made.

I made a video which shows a early (not even alpha stage) preview of the hack.

https://www.youtube....JlOT2Hsc&t=379s

#42 User is online Jason 

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
Woah, that's some SMS wizardry we don't see too often here. Music's on point, graphics too. There's a certain ironic joy I get seeing Sonic CD on non-CD based game consoles, and this is no exception.

#43 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27
DUDE THIS IS ALL AMAZING AND YOU SHOULD FEEL AMAZING.

Apologies about the allcaps. Worth it. Totally.

#44 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:14 PM

• Dem Melons
That artwork is fucking amazing!

I'm astounded it all fits in the VRAM!
This post has been edited by Flygon: 04 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

#45 User is offline Ch1pper 

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

• Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less
  • Project:Life.
  • Wiki edits:40
Gonna be 'that guy' and say while good, the music all sounds a bit same-y. 8-bit limitations obviously, but it's more-so because all the channels are around the same octave. Sometimes raising or lowering them makes for some great harmonies, especially with SMS music. I'd love to take a stab at it for fun if possible.

Otherwise, yeah, this is looking great!
This post has been edited by Ch1pper: 04 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users